Sore butt from biking

Options
I was riding my bike for about an hour and a half yesterday and today my behind is hurting. It this because biking is good for the glutes or should I consider getting one of those awkward-squishy gel seats?

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    biking doesn't do much for your *kitten*, it's sore from an uncomfortable seat, you might try a fancier seat :D
  • cecehite19
    cecehite19 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also just got into biking! I was told no matter what seat you will be sore for the first few times then it goes away! I was sore for 2 days then not so bad! Good Luck! I really enjoy the rides to break up the workouts!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it within a few days or a couple of weeks, anyway. I remember having a sore behind each time I began biking. I'm about to start again. I bought a pair of padded biking shorts, and I'm hoping they'll help a little. I want to start with a bike trainer in the house and get used to the gears on my new bike before I take it outside. I have the trainer, but it has defective parts. The replacement parts are supposed to arrive in about a week. I'm trying to convince myself I really want to bike.

An hour and a half is a long ride when you're just starting out again. You may want to take it easy and gradually build up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like my bike shorts, and my "girl" seat.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/Womens-Recreational
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Get a recumbent bike. A friend of my owns a recumbent shop down in Florida and his tee shirts read "Ride recumbent or ride in pain". Those bikes are very comfortable.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I wear padded bike shorts - but you will eventually get used to it.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    My butt hurts every time I bike. I ended up stopping because it was just so uncomfortable
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    Your bum will get tougher and you'll get used to it. I can now mountain bike with a hard tail (no rear shock) in regular shorts without any discomfort.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Choose a seat that is suitable for the kind of cycling you are doing. The more upright and slower paced, the wider the seat. If you're on a hybrid, going a bit faster, leaning a bit more forward, you'll want to ditch most of that cushy tush seat and get a thinner seat.

You want to be on your sit bones..those two nubbins can support your weight and will be sore initially but will "harden" and you'll be comfortable longer. Unless you're on a very upright, slow kind of comfort bike, you'll find that extra cushion on the seat will shift and push up on your nether parts, making you sore.

Stock saddles generally "suck" - big time. Ask your bike shop if they have any seats you can try out.

Saddle position also makes a difference - it should be level, not tipped up or down.

Good bike shorts really do help too.
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Cycling has become my new sport too, now that I've had knee surgery - both doc and physio say no more running (very sad about that) .... so rode inside on a stationary bike much of the winter. That helped to get me saddle ready for this spring.
    I agree with the above, an hour and a half for the first time out, may have just been what did it!
    I also think a new seat really can help. Got one last year for my outdoor bike .... they do make different shaped ones for girls vs guys. Most (good) bike stores will let you take one home to demo for a bit, and let you return for a different style. Don't just give in to the pain. You don't need to put up with it. That being said, some of it does go away with more 'time in the saddle'.
    I've just got me a fancy pair of bike shorts ... haven't tried them yet, but all my cycling friends say they wouldn't live without them .... especially for long rides! Good luck!
    Glad to hear from so many cyclers out there..... was thinking there were just runners out there! Thanks.
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As I was doing a race on Sunday I noticed a girl with a gel seat (mine is just a regular road bike seat) and she was standing to readjust around the same time I was so.... I would say bike more to get used to it and save money :)
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It should get better after a few rides. I would suggest wearing bike shorts with padding inside. That does help. And do stand up occasionaly to take the pressure off - that helps too.

If after several rides it still is bothering you consider a new seat. Finding the right seat can be very personal too. I have had seats that looked great with lots of padding but were terrible.

RedSunshine said that your seat should be level and that is what most experts say. But do not be afraid to play with the seat position. Tilted back a bit works best for me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    squishy seat are awful. They compress the soft tissues.

bike shorts + correct seat = nice.

a Specialized dealer can do a seat fitting for you.