Insulin resistant/diabetic? Want to be friends?

Options
Hi there
I'm a 30yr old female from Melbourne Australia, looking for friends in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with Insulin resistance last year and am currently taking 2000mg Metformin daily. So far I've lost 44kg, but with another 19kg to go, my motivation is waning a little. Would love to have more than 1 active MFP friend and preferably people who don't eat their weight in pasta and chocolate each day (my real life friend can eat what she wants but I can't look at her diary without feeling discouraged). Hope the extra accountability will encourage me to get back on track and in turn I can support and motivate you too.

Replies

• aneexer
    aneexer Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi there I am also insulin resistant I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year.
    I have finally found out quite a lot of foods I can eat (most foods like pasta, rice, potato, bread) put me to sleep its been a real battle.
    My son put me onto MFP last week and I am so happy he did :)
    I am on no medication as yet for my diabetes I am trying so hard to keep my sugars under control :)

Glad to meet you and I'll be your friend if you want :)
    I live in NSW near Sydney I am 50 now wow haha :)
  • bijoux2711
    bijoux2711 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the add!
  • swilder72
    swilder72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance as well. I've lost some weight but it's definitely been a little bit of a struggle.
  • MrsV323
    MrsV323 Posts: 8
    Options
    I too just found out I am insulin resistant. Once my physician explained what it is and what it does... I felt like breaking down becuase I've been doing this to myself for years. But instead, I use it as motivation. When I was younger, I wanted to lose weight so I could prance around in cute outfits and such. But now, it's a different story. High insulin levels cause polycystic ovaries and I burst into tears when I found out what that meant as well. I want to start a family with my husband, but no matter how hard we try, I cannot get pregnant right now. So that is my main motivation... babies ♥
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I also have insulin resistance, but I'm trying to get it under control with diet and exercising (plus metformin and avandia). I'll add you u;)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    Hello I'm insulin resistant as well. I was diagnosed though before I became diabetic. Found out in the process of trying to concieve my son. Took a long time. I've been on metformin now 8 years. In the past 2- 2 1/2 I've managed to go from a size 14 down to a size 4 simply by walking. I didn't change my diet at all. :( I gained some of it back b/c I got lazy this past winter. I'm trying to get back into the swing of the things. Now I still haven't changed my diet but am trying to eat healthier or lower calorie food.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Same here, I was diagnosed prediabetic way back 2007 but became a full blown type two diabetic just 2 years ago when I was at my highest weight. I discovered it when I had a pre-employment medical exam & the results came out. PCOS played a major role in making me a full blown diabetic. This & along with discovering that I have hypertension served as my wake up call to change my sedentary lifestyle. Now my health has greatly improved & although I'm still on metformin but I'm no longer experiencing frequent hypoglucemic attacks.

Anyway there is a group here on MFP for us here.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    Same here, I was diagnosed prediabetic way back 2007 but became a full blown type two diabetic just 2 years ago when I was at my highest weight. I discovered it when I had a pre-employment medical exam & the results came out. PCOS played a major role in making me a full blown diabetic. This & along with discovering that I have hypertension served as my wake up call to change my sedentary lifestyle. Now my health has greatly improved & although I'm still on metformin but I'm no longer experiencing frequent hypoglucemic attacks.

Anyway there is a group here on MFP for us here.

I'm sorry you ended up with PCOS. I think it's genetic in my family. My younger sis developed it before she had kids.. Been a long difficult road for her. The doc she see's doesn't believe in metformin so she struggles bad with her weight
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm not technically insulin resistant nor diabetic but I have hyperinsulinism... which is like one step before being insulin resistant. So I don't take metformin because my doctor thinks because of my weight (25 lbs over my ideal weight) I can deal with this by working out and eating better... if that doesn't work then I'll have to take metformin.

I think I'm pretty active on this site (beeing here for about 2 weeks or so, I'll be happy if you add me
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    all of you can add me
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I had insulin resistance that went into type 2 diabetes and its my goal to lose the weight and get off my meds asap! Anyone can feel free to add me for support.
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Dx PCOS in 1994. Insulin resistant diabetic on 2550 Metformin, Januvia, and Lantus Solostar. Have lost 23 lbs. (of 170) on Herbalife plan since April 1st (I adjust it to be low-carb). Would love more friends!
  • tanisha115
    tanisha115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I too suffer from Insulin Resistance and was diagnosed back in 2005. I have PCOS and been taking Metformin off and on (but more off) the last few years. I suffered from terrible GI problems and always gave up on continuing to take the meds. I steadily gained weight and unfortunately have had difficulties getting pregnant after the hubby and I have been trying for the last 5 years. I have decided to take control of my life and get motivated. Since starting MFP in February, I have been regularly taking my Met @ 1500 mg/day, eating healthier and exercising (Team Zumba!) My goal is to loose weight, loose the meds and get preggers!! Feel free to add me for encouragement and support.