Jog/Run or Not?

Options
I am considering starting to jog- eventually run. However I am trying to decide if I should hold off a while longer. I weigh 199lbs, my knees sometimes slip ( loose support for a second) and I have an ankle that bothers me on occasion. I really want to run 5ks and eventually do a "Warrior Dash" style activity. But I also don't want to hurt myself. So what I would like are some opinions. Do I give it a trial and see, or wait another 10 or so pounds?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started running at just over 200 pounds.... but took it very gradually.
    I'd suggest adding a few running intervals into your walks (walk five mins, run slowly 1 min, that kind of thing) and see how your body reacts. If you start to get pain, find a good physio or other health professional who can give you advice on stretching, strengthening, strapping (if you need it) etc.
    Lots of people here use C25K (that's how I started), though you might want to take it a bit slower than that.
    Enjoy!
  • jennifer418
    jennifer418 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rubybelle. Start off slow and see your doctor if needed. I am over 200 pounds right now and I am practicing for sprint triathlon. For the jogging/running part I have been practicing on a treadmill and occasionally on the track and I will job for a few minutes and then walk. I will say jogging on a treadmill is easier than outside. I don't know why but it is. Good luck with your future training.
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started running at just over 200 pounds.... but took it very gradually.
    I'd suggest adding a few running intervals into your walks (walk five mins, run slowly 1 min, that kind of thing) and see how your body reacts. If you start to get pain, find a good physio or other health professional who can give you advice on stretching, strengthening, strapping (if you need it) etc.
    Lots of people here use C25K (that's how I started), though you might want to take it a bit slower than that.
    Enjoy!

^^^What she said. Also you may want to make sure that you have appropriate shoes for running. I actually went to a store today and got a lesson on running shoes...but also listen to your body.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would suggest start out walking and then run a little bit and then walk again. Try the Couch to 5k program. That seems to really help people who don't run get moving. Good luck!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would suggest start out walking and then run a little bit and then walk again. Try the Couch to 5k program. That seems to really help people who don't run get moving. Good luck!

YUP FANtastic! And it works :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am at 224 right now. I am gradually working a bit of jogging into my walking. Very gradually, increasing a little as my weight decreases.

I also have bum joints, mostly a hip from a shatter pelvis, and a pretty touchy ankle from a serious sprain years ago that never healed completely (bothering me tonight in fact).

Discussing this with your doctor is very important, don't skip that.

I am a newbie myself and no expert, I am learning as I go along and also don't want to injure myself, but I feel pretty confident that slowly easing into the jogging/running thing as part of your walks is the way to go.
  • Vanessadk0604
    Options
    I am in the 340s and i jog, not for long mind you but you have to do what feels comfortable to you and listen to what your body tells you. I usually jog for about 10 min 1 a week maybe once every other week, depending on how i feel.

Just start off slowly and work your way up.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started at 263 and could not jog, too clumsy to do it on the treadmill. I'm now down to 227 and still find it clumsy but still wanting to try it out.

My SIL started jogging outside in the fall. Jog a block, walk a couple, repeat until she made it around our small town (roughly 25 blocks square). She can now jog 55+ minutes on the treadmill, and is down to 158.

I don't know if it's the size difference, or her agility compared to mine, but she makes it look so easy. I feel like an elephant still, so I just don't bother trying anymore. I make up for not jogging, by walking on the incline

I, too, have bad knees in the family and don't want to injure them anymore than they're already prone to.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!