NEW TO FITNESS PAL & NEED HELP

Options
Hello! I am new to fitness pal. I am starting my weight loss journey today. I need to lose so much weight and need help doing it. I joined because I need all the support I can get.

Replies

• nico27
    Options
    Hi there!! Welcome! I have found this site very helpful and motivating!!! The message boards and blogs are great ways to get some insight on what others are going through and what is working for them! Also, i love being able to track my calories so easily. I have found that has made a HUGE difference in what I eat. Good Luck to You!!!
  • Demetria
    Options
    Welcome!
    Don't let that huge number ovewhelm you. A better way to think of it is to make short mini goals say 2lbs a week, walk for at least 30min everyday, etc. You can do it, it just takes time.

Demetria
  • cboehm
    cboehm Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good Luck you have come to the right place :smile:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I belong to a wonderful group of girls on here!! If you want to join a group, check us out!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/65940-a-new-me-let-s-get-started
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Welcome! You CAN do it, and you WILL do it!

This is it - just do it, right? You've made the committment and you will follow through. I started MFP because someone asked me why I hadn't lost the weight, and other than excuses, I really didn't have an answer. And then he asked me how I accomplish everything else in my life, and I said, "I make a plan according to the best route to take, and then I follow the plan, and accomplish my goal". Then he said to me, "Just do it" "Just get it done". And I started MFP that very minute - not the next day, or the next Monday, that VERY minute, and I've stayed 100% committed since that day in June, and my weight loss has been incredible - I never thought I could be this slim, and this fit, I thought I was always destined to be the "big girl".

You WILL do it! Stay committed, follow the plan, and don't let the scale dictate how you feel. If you keep moving forward, and keep following the plan, the scale will catch up, and will move. And you will feel AMAZING!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This site is absoultely amazing! I love it. I have found many people here to help me reach my goals, it's wonderful to get motivation and inspiration. Just remember you can do this and we're all here to help each other. Good luck!
  • huntee75
    Options
    hello and welcome. i hope this helps as much as its helping me
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I would be glad to be a buddy for you if you need that, I could use the help too thats why Im here. I think you came to the right place and are taking the first step in your journey! Let me know if I can help in anyway, this is my second time here and I had success here before which is why I came back!
  • Colie
    Colie Posts: 12
    Options
    Welcome, this place is awesome and I know you can do it!!
  • momeof2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the support!!!:flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi! Welcome and your first step was admitting that you need to lose weight.

Make sure to drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes; then you'll work out for an hour and "maybe" sneak in another day of workout by working on "weights". Take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep, use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti). Be wise and use coupons found in your local newspaper, eat fruits and veggies, drink skim/soy milk, yogurt, have salads WITHOUT dressing, stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), eat chicken/fish/seafood/lead meats, don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, pizza, etc), buy a pizza stone ($29.99) and you can create your OWN delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, etc). Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". We women have PMS, mood swings, bloating, water gain (we retain water) two weeks before we mensturate; thus the reason why I ask you to weigh yourself monthly. I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her heart) :heart: you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly.

30 minutes before you work out eat one of the following (check out the OR), one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR a soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right, you'll lose WATER GAIN first of 5-6 pounds (I swear again!). Because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that is time to "up" your exercise regimen. According to how much weight you want to lose I suggest (talk to your doctor, too!) you eat 1,250 calories. When you've lost the weight, then you ca go "up" to 1,500 calories. If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their hearts :heart: :heart: for doing that!!!

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva