Anyone Vegan or Vegetarian?

Options
Hi,

I am looking for vegans and vegetarians to follow so I can get a better idea of what a nutritionally sound plant based diet looks like. I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 and recently went vegan. I started working out more than ever and I know I need to eat better to accompany that. My problem is I eat too much carbs and junk food and I have a poor idea of where to get my protein without excessive calories. I also lack creativity when it comes to figuring out my meals. So it would be fantastic to learn from other vegans and vegetarians out there!

Thanks,
Sarah

Replies

• mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who loves me some vegan foodstuffs too from time to time. My diary is open but it's a lot of homemade recipe stuff too so not sure how helpful it is but I'm liking what I'm eating and so is my body.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegetarian (I eat fish, yogurt and the occasional egg) slowly transitioning to veganism just by making more vegan meals and dishes. I just made an awesome banana-quinoa-cashew quick bread that was only 108 calories per serving :)
  • KatyMalkin
    KatyMalkin Posts: 57
    Options
    Hey

Im vegetarian too :)
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegetarian (I eat fish, yogurt and the occasional egg) slowly transitioning to veganism just by making more vegan meals and dishes. I just made an awesome banana-quinoa-cashew quick bread that was only 108 calories per serving :)

This would make you a pescatarian, not a "mostly vegetarian", as there is no such thing. :-)
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Vegan here. Feel free to add me.
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 months and have never felt better! My husband (who is a pescatarian) and I eat a lot of stir fry with rice or rice noodles.

If you are interested in meat substitutes, for extra protein, try the Quorn products. They are delicious!!!! And there are so many varieties!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

This would make you a pescatarian, not a "mostly vegetarian", as there is no such thing. :-)

Thank you, I appreciate your opinion, but I think "mostly vegetarian" describes my diet just fine :) I'm actually mostly vegan. Most days, I don't consume any animal products. I'm not morally opposed to eating seafood and do so about two or three times per month, but 80+ meals per month are entirely plant-based and often free of animal products altogether.

Not everyone means "vegetarian" to describe a political identity.

I also don't recommend soy-based meat substitutes, as for the most part, they're loaded with sugar, sodium and preservatives to make them taste edible. If you're looking for extra protein, I recommend experimenting with legumes and whole soy products such as tempeh, tofu, edamame and soy nuts. Organic and GMO-free only, though! But that's just me.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm psecetarian, but I get most of my protein through dairy and protein powder. I really like tofu though, I just never have the time and energy to cook it.
  • lilmisfit
    Options

Thank you, I appreciate your opinion, but I think "mostly vegetarian" describes my diet just fine :) I'm actually mostly vegan. Most days, I don't consume any animal products. I'm not morally opposed to eating seafood and do so about two or three times per month, but 80+ meals per month are entirely plant-based and often free of animal products altogether.

Not everyone means "vegetarian" to describe a political identity.

I also don't recommend soy-based meat substitutes, as for the most part, they're loaded with sugar, sodium and preservatives to make them taste edible. If you're looking for extra protein, I recommend experimenting with legumes and whole soy products such as tempeh, tofu, edamame and soy nuts. Organic and GMO-free only, though! But that's just me.

From Webster:
    veg·e·tar·i·an   [vej-i-tair-ee-uhn]
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

pes·ca·tar·i·an \ˌpe-skə-ˈter-ē-ən\
    noun
    : one whose diet includes fish but no meat

And, by the way, Quorn products do not contain soy. Please do your research before you respond to a post.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian.

I use some protein powders to increase my protein intake.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey I am a vegetarian but the only dairy I eat is eggs and sometimes cottage cheese. I want to be vegan!! You can add me and look at my diary if you want :)
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, too . I find I get plenty of protein, but some is with dairy (which wouldn't work for vegan). Greek Yogurt (nonfat, plain) is a GREAT way to get protein, Also, lots of legumes (beans and such), but these must be paired with a grain to get the protein fix from them. Feel free to friend me :)
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am Vegi, Got my big bum through large portions and too much cheese.

But as I am behaving you wont see that here:wink:
    (I am currently eating the bad stuff in the house but that will filter out over the next few days, lol. Waste not want not)

I use protein powder and bars, and eat chesse and eggs and Meat replacement products.

My diet is varied, and I love my food:smile:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, too . I find I get plenty of protein, but some is with dairy (which wouldn't work for vegan). Greek Yogurt (nonfat, plain) is a GREAT way to get protein, Also, lots of legumes (beans and such), but these must be paired with a grain to get the protein fix from them. Feel free to friend me :)

There's no need to food combine in one meal to get the amino acids you need. (But if you mean that daily you should eat a grain and a legume, then nevermind - yes you should eat that daily unless you are eating quinoa or soy which are complete proteins).
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Oh, and there are at least two fairly popular groups on here for veg*ns. One is Happy Herbivores, I think the other is Team Vegan.
  • jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my food diary. I don't find it that difficult to get enough protein most of the time. I try all kinds of vegan products. I like trying new products as they come out without making them part of my regular diet since they are all so processed. I also use protein powders after workouts. Quorn products are very yummy but the Gruyere stuffed chicken tastes too good to be vegan. i think it's real cheese although I haven't bothered to find out for sure. Get a subscription to VegNews. Awesome vegan magazine.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Hi there :)

I always was told that beans are not a complete protein, that one should pair beans with rice, corn or grain to get the complete protein... I found a link to explain:

This is what I was referring to:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Whats-Complete-Protein-Inquiring-Vegetarians-Want-Know-165298

best regards :)
  • tnqnt
    Options
    And yes, not in the same meal:):)
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Hi there :)

I always was told that beans are not a complete protein, that one should pair beans with rice, corn or grain to get the complete protein... I found a link to explain:

This is what I was referring to:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Whats-Complete-Protein-Inquiring-Vegetarians-Want-Know-165298

best regards :)

Yes, beans are not a complete protein. I was just trying to clarify that you do not have to combine beans with a grain *in the same meal* to make a complete protein. You could have grains for breakfast and beans for dinner and have what you need in terms of essential amino acids. It just kind of sounds like when a person says "combine beans with a grain" to get a complete protein that you have to do it at one meal. Maybe that's not what you meant, I just wanted to clarify for anyone reading who might not know that.

*ha, nevermind, we just crossed posts.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Absolutely :)