For those of you with a HRM...

Options
How different are the calories burned between the monitor, and the gym machine? Which is higher?

Replies

• Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS wondered how off the machines are...
  • Calimama123
    Options
    bump!
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Usually if I'm on the treadmill for 45 minutes, my HRM reads around 550 or so and the machine reads 400. Someone told me that is because the HRM also counts TDEE calories and the machine doesnt. It only counts what I burned since I'm running and not sitting down. Make sense?? I hope so :)

I've heard a lot of other people say their HRM is much lower than the machines. So I guess it varies.
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Options
    Personally I would listen to my HRM.. Its set for my height/weight etc so it should be more accurate..
    I don't train without mine.. I find that MFP over estimates calories abit.. it can be fairly close but I still choose to listen to whatever my HRM says :-)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My polar is more than my elliptical but less than others. Always less than mfp :-)
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    My HRM is often at least 100-200 lower than whatever machine I'm on
  • ChrDG
    ChrDG Posts: 10
    Options
    My HRM (Polar FT80) usually estimates a lot lower numbers than the machines. Typically 250 kcals on my HRM and 400 on a treadmill/eliptical. This is, I believe, due to the machine having my age as input only inorder to determine my HRmax, and the corresponding % of estimated HRmax I am exercising in. In my HRM I have entered a more correct HRmax, which is considerably higher than 220-age. I believe that my HRM is more correct. I get more corresponding values if I "cheat" on my age, and put in a younger age than real on the machines.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My polar is usually pretty close to the elliptical.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    polar is close to the treadmill when i run but not when i walk (the treadmill is over)
    polar is higher than the versaclimber
    polar says higher than the bike
    polar is close to what the stairmaster estimates
    polar is much lower than the elliptical
  • Calimama123
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • OSUgal03
    OSUgal03 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The machines are always way higher. Usually my HRM is about 70% of what the machines say.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    Usually if I'm on the treadmill for 45 minutes, my HRM reads around 550 or so and the machine reads 400. Someone told me that is because the HRM also counts TDEE calories and the machine doesnt. It only counts what I burned since I'm running and not sitting down. Make sense?? I hope so :)

I've heard a lot of other people say their HRM is much lower than the machines. So I guess it varies.

Some machines don't input height or weight, so I would go with the HRM if it is a reliable brand.
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    Definitely get a HRM!

I just picked up a white FT40 today! I LOVE it!!! And it's great because MFP doesn't track calories burned while lifting so it's great to know what your WHOLE workout was worth... because remember, your still burning major calories in-between machines because of your HR. Having one, in my opinion, makes you workout harder because as you see those calories burning you want to burn more! :) It's addictive :) ha ha.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, when I have my heart rate monitor hooked up, the gym treadmills pick it up and use that to calculate calories burned, so obviously, they're pretty darn close when they use the same heart rate. But I haven't used other equipment there besides the treadmill, and I've yet to visit the gym without my trust HRM sidekick, so I don't know how the other stuff stacks up..

To be honest, pushing out the bare minimum of miles on one machine is all I can handle when I'm forced to go indoors. I don't think I could last long experimenting with other hamster-wheel type stuff.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    Some gym machines tell you the brand they have connected to it!

I bought a polar 4tf and tested it out on the elliptical, which the elliptical at my gym actually has polar technology. The heart-rates between the two were exactly right on! :)

As long as you hang on to the sensors it's pretty accurate BUT I let go often to adjust headphones, etc so that effects it! but even doing that, it was accurate for me within 20 calories, which i'd say is pretty great.

As for the treadmill...use your HRM! LOL The treadmill underestimated my calories burnt by over 100! :)