What supplements should I take?

Options
I've never taken supplements, but I would like to start. However, I have no idea what to take. I'm starting light/moderate weight training next week with my current cardio, and I've noticed my fitness junkie friend takes so many supplements with his fitness/nutrition program. He's into body building so I know that's an entirely different story than me, but I feel like I should be taking some to aid with my weight loss/ and building lean muscle.

Any suggestions or advice??

Thanks!

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is no need to take any suppliments. Most do next to nothing.

Protein powder is more a food than anything. Closer to brown sugar or butter than a supplement.

Multivitamins are good and marginally useful for most people, more useful for pregnant women and less useful for men.

Creatine is a performance booster for strength trainers. It will lead to water weight in your muscles (making them look bigger), but that is just a positive side effect and not the primary purpose. It should help with set to set recovery times.

Outside of that......
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Lots of supplements will usually equal expensive pee. Cheap supplements can often mean bad ingredients - so they aren't always a good bang for buck.
    All can be done via real food, however
    This is the staple
    Fish oil
    A protein powder post workout (good protein, try to get one with glutamine and bcaas in it. Also be a whey isolate - I use the optimum nutrition natural gold standard, vanilla. Tastes great, reasonably priced and quality)
    Than maybe
    A carb added post workout too (not fructose based) - but watch out as it can add weight. But can assist in muscle recovery.

That's about it.

If you're interested in getting an extra rep or two to get really strong (like 4 reps instead of 3), creatine can help but you probably will gain a few pounds as it causes more water to be retained in muscles. Take it any time during the day, you just need it in you and available - but red meat is also a source of creatine for our bodies. However, some people are considered non-responders .... it did nothing for me so perhaps I already had enough creatine stored in me because I eat meat.
    Beta-Alanine is apparently safe with no side affects - except it can make you feel tingly to begin with - that will help you with some intensity and endurance. No idea what a natural comparable is.
    But all of this is probably not a good idea for beginners.
    Take the fish oil. Try the protein shake post workout and see how it makes you feel. Then consider adding a carb to the post workout and if you become a competitive junkie, try some other things. But be wary of expensive pee. If you see no benefit, then don't take it.
    Also, a bit of caffeine pre-workout can also help.

But at the end of the day, always remember these are supplements. Not necessities or meals.
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Thank you both for responding! I really appreciate it. I will definitely try the fish oil and whey and see how it goes!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That is a complex question, and it really depends on what you are trying to address specifically. As a general baseline, I'd recommend:
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil (2-4g/day)
    CoQ10 (100mg)
    Vitamin D (2000 IU, maybe some/all in your multi)

If you want more:
    Alpha-lipoic acid (200-300mg/day)
    Acetyl L-carnitine (500mg/day)
    anti-oxidants. They have a strong synergistic effect, and more or less stop cellular aging due to oxidization. They have some other positive effects as well. Good for heavy cardio, since it creates a substantial amount of oxidative stress.

Even more:
    Branched-chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), 10g before and after workout, will help spare muscle and increase loss of fat (effect is not huge, but can be significant over time)

If you lift super heavy:
    Creatine, ~5g/day (or find a calculator online to figure out a more exact dose), make sure you drink tons of water

If you want to be smarter:
    Piracetam, 800mg 2xday
    Choline Citrate, 300mg 1-2xday (if you eat lots of raw greens, then 1x... if you eat TONS, then you shouldn't need it)
    must take the two together, or you will get bad headaches/brain fog. Enhances memory, attention, verbal skills, general intelligence.

That covers everything I take. I don't really consider protein powder a supplement, it's pretty much food. You need to get enough protein though (shoot for at least 1g/lb lean body mass minimum).
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    @wackyfunster, Thank you so much! All of this fascinates me so much. I will definitely look into all of this! Appreciate it!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Here's a great resource for what is actually beneficial vs. what is a waste a money. It actually links to the sources of info, and tells you what it is used for (for instance, vitamin D is beneficial for overall health, but not for diabetes, etc)

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    @wackyfunster.
    What have you noticed since taking carnitine ?
    Nothing ? Increased endurance ? Fat reduction ?
    Or is it just something like fish-oil and vitamin, where you feel nothing but your coat looks shinier ?

I started to try it ( 2-3 weeks ?) and can't say I've noticed a thing.
    I was kind of thinking it would help with endurance.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The effectiveness of the supplements that ARE actually useful will depend very much on the individual and his or her diet as a whole.

For example, supplementing a diet with BCAAs (for a fed training protocol) when you are already getting enough amino acids from adequate protein consumption, isn't going to help you. Same goes with adding a multivitamin to a diet that is already sufficient in those vitamins.

Now realistically speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking things like whey or a multi or fish oil -- just realize that you can get just about everything you need from whole food sources thus eliminating the necessity for supplements.

They are intended to supplement areas of your diet that may be lacking, with few exceptions.
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    @wackyfunster.
    Or is it just something like fish-oil and vitamin, where you feel nothing but your coat looks shinier ?

I take it for the anti-oxidant effects. There are some random studies that show minor benefit in other areas, but I'm not convinced that they are significant. ALCAR+Alpha-lipoic acid is one of the most potent anti-oxidant combos out there though. Long-term benefits in terms of cellular aging and cancer rates have been well documented with that combo, and they are cheap as hell in bulk (I think I paid something like $30 for a ~18 month supply of bulk powder).
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    The effectiveness of the supplements that ARE actually useful will depend very much on the individual and his or her diet as a whole.

For example, supplementing a diet with BCAAs (for a fed training protocol) when you are already getting enough amino acids from adequate protein consumption, isn't going to help you. Same goes with adding a multivitamin to a diet that is already sufficient in those vitamins.

Now realistically speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking things like whey or a multi or fish oil -- just realize that you can get just about everything you need from whole food sources thus eliminating the necessity for supplements.

They are intended to supplement areas of your diet that may be lacking, with few exceptions.
    Agreed, but most people don't get anything close to what they need from their diet. A better diet is always preferable, and getting nutrients from whole foods is certainly better than getting them from a pill, but for some people supplementation is the only feasible option.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I am a big proponent of L-Glutamin, Flaxseed, Vitamin C when I feel a cold coming on.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bananas and coffee
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    a multi, fish oil, and protein.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Exactly! He right!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I take Iron and Vitamin B12, on reccommendation from my doctor. :)
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    @wackyfunster.

I take it for the anti-oxidant effects. There are some random studies that show minor benefit in other areas, but I'm not convinced that they are significant. ALCAR+Alpha-lipoic acid is one of the most potent anti-oxidant combos out there though. Long-term benefits in terms of cellular aging and cancer rates have been well documented with that combo, and they are cheap as hell in bulk (I think I paid something like $30 for a ~18 month supply of bulk powder).

Thanks. Ahh - You take if for a shiny coat and bright eyes :) (obviously, a joke for long term benefits which there's absolutely nothing wrong with).
    Yes, that stuff is cheap as chips which is one reason I tried it. ($15? for 60x500mg tabs - a bit more than you, but mine is in pill-form).
    I guess this is a perfect example of the pros and cons of supplementation. We were taking the same thing for different goals. My goal seemed to not be working - so it's unlikely I will continue to take this .... once my supply runs out of course - because it doesn't have any negative effects so far either. (I also read some studies that said that nothing was proven with this supplement as it relates to my goals). However you're usage is correct for you, so you will keep taking it.
    Someone just saying take it, or not take it, whatever it may be, is not good advice because the intention and goal is not always clear.
    Someone who has no idea one way or the other, may be taking all this stuff with no indication whats so ever that it works, and just pee money. Especially if they are being taken for incorrect reasons - e.g. creatine for recovery? Or l-carnitine for endurance:)

It's one reason I don't take creatine anymore. I noticed that I retained water and got bigger/heavier, but it did not translate into increased performance. If anything, the extra weight slowed me down on body-weight movements and running (like 6-7 pounds). I felt like the lack of benefit out-weighed any perceived benefit - even though creatine is really inexpensive, it wasn't worth it in the long run to me.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    B
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great read all, pity there hasn't been some more contributions in this thread.
    Thanks wackyfunster for that list. I'm probably going to get some of them. Not sure if I can get Piracetam and Choline Citrate here.

I'll vouch for Fish oils also - easily my no.1 supplement - it's one supplement that I don't think I've read anywhere where someone has a negative opinion on it. I suffer from joint problems in my fingers and it has made a massive difference to me.

Also recently started taking Ginseng and am pretty sure I'm feeling more energised and alert on it. I sometimes take different multi-vitamins - never really can tell any difference in myself when i have them tbh. I'm going to try one that's got a lot of biotin and vitamin D3 as one of my MFP friends swears by both of these.

This fitness journey is a bit of a voyage of exploration for me - so I want to experiment with some more supplements. I'm particularly interested to know has anyone tried Rhodiola Rosea ("The root has a reputation for stimulating the nervous system, fighting depression, enhancing work performance, decreasing fatigue....") . Seeing as I can't get Piracetam and Choline Citrate from my usual supplier, was thinking of trying Phosphatidyl Serine instead. So if someone has experience with those supplements please let me know how you got on with them.
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    Ah, yeah I don't know about Piracetam in SA. I know it's prescription in most of Europe (nootropil IIRC).

Ginseng is pretty well supported as far as efficacy goes. You might want to try it with Ginko Biloba, as in my experience the two work quite well together (I used to supplement both of those as well... I've just pared back what I supplement to what I see as the bare minimum at this point).

The choline you can almost certainly still get, and I would still recommend trying it without the piracetam. You may need to calibrate your dose. I'd try and figure out how much you get in your diet, and supplement to 600-800mg/day (maybe a little more depending on body weight). If you start getting headaches, brain fog, and/or feelings of apathy/amotivation, you are taking too much. It has a profound effect on memory, attention, and mood (especially if you are really deficient from diet, which most people are), as it is the main precursor to acetyl-choline, the neurotransmitter than is responsible for memory, fine motor coordination, as well as helping to mitigate the effects of excessive levels of catecholamines (adrenaline, etc.). If you get enough from diet, then there is no need to supplement, but most people do not. This one is really interesting, as it appears to be a major factor in "pregnancy brain," based on experience during my wife's recent pregnancy: I knew choline requirements were increased during pregnacy/nursing, so tried supplementing choline to prevent cognitive issues. She stopped taking it at one point, and said that within a day or two she noticed a HUGE negative impact on her ability to focus and remember things, which went away as soon as supplementation resumed. Totally anecdotal, but pretty cool! :P
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I take a few, and feel that they are helpful.

Glucosamine ....for my knees, which are a little creaky. I find the glucosamine helps to keep them from hurting (and I don't take a mixture, just the straight glucosamine)
    Flax Seed Oil........is a good substitute for fish oil, which I don't like.
    Vitamin D.........women need extra D, and I live in northern MN, where natural D in the winter is at a premium.
    A multivitamin for my gender and age (over 50).
    Lecithin....helps to lower triclycerides (and I believe it has worked well for me, as mine were MUCH lower in this year's physical)
    Extra B vitamins.............helps to increase energy and memory, can help to relieve stress, and was recommended by my doc.

My doctor checks to see what I'm taking at every physical, so I like knowing that she approves of my regimen.