any doctors here i have a twisted ankle question

Options
i twisted my ankle satureday... how long does it take to heal??? i have so much things to do so i really need to know..... i also wanna start running but if i walk on it to much it starts to swell up and hurt really badly like throbbing but not all the time... also if i keep it still to long

Replies

• Unknown
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but have had alot of ankle problems. I recommend going to the doctor to make sure you don't have as slight fracture and make sure you elevate and ice it daily to heal. My doctor and physical therapist always said you must let it rest and heal 6wks, then start out slowly to rebuild your muscle strength. Hope it feels better soon.
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but have had alot of ankle problems. I recommend going to the doctor to make sure you don't have as slight fracture and make sure you elevate and ice it daily to heal. My doctor and physical therapist always said you must let it rest and heal 6wks, then start out slowly to rebuild your muscle strength. Hope it feels better soon.
    thanks
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just took my son to the doctor as he twisted his ankle, I thought for sure it was broke as it was all black and swollen, turns out it wasn't thank goodness. Doctor says if you can walk on it then walk on it, if it hurts then don't. so do what you can tolerate. and of course elevate and ice it if swollen. She said healing times are different so just take it easy and let it heal. Again, good luck and hope you heal fast!
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse practioner not an MD but close enough? There are different degree of strains, and it would be beneficial to get it checked out. I would ice it 20-30 minutes, 3-4 times a day for the first 48 hours after the strain........elevated it (above your heart) 3-4 times a day if you can (I know, we have jobs! but elevate it at work some if you can). Take ibuprofen four times a day or aleve twice a day for an anti-inflammatory (if you can, I don't know your health history). An ace wrap or brace would be helpful potentially.

I would not push the activity........you're going to screw it up way more in the long run if you don't give the time it needs to heal now. I know you want to "get back at it" but let it heal and you'll be happier in the long run.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oops, just saw the injury was Saturday.......ice probably isn't going to help much at this point, but elevation is still beneficial.
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    I know how you feel! I injured my knee last week and haven't been on the treadmill or even a walk since Saturday. I went to the doc and they said I have patellar tendonitis. It was hurting alot so I figured better let it heal, as I don't want a chronic injury. Anyways, I've been icing when it is swollen, and alternating with a heating pad, to increase blood flow to the area to help heal faster. I am also taking aleve 2 times daily, but only needed it once a day for the past two days. I have a knee brace if I need to walk and have been elevating it in the recliner. I feel like such a slug this week as I've been even less active than I normally am. I can't even walk with my dog cause it hurts. Just been a couch potato and that has really sped up the healing. I'm not a hundred percent, but feel I might be able to go very lightly on the treadmill next week. Bottom line is everyone heals at different rates, but it is important to let yourself heal, cause if you work an injured part too hard, you can cause worse damage that may not be repairable in the end. Take it easy, and before you know it you'll be back out there!