whey protein powder question

Options
I just picked some up this evening to incorporate into my diet.

When is the best time to do so?

How much per day?

I have 100 lbs. Lean mass if that helps.

I don't want to gain!!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Protein helps repair and build muscle. I generally make shakes with protein powder after a hard work out to help with recovery.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Could I use it as a meal replacement occasionally if i add it to a shake. Often my mornings are hectic and i can't find the time to sit down to eat breakfast. On those days I usually skip breakfast.
  • bodybuilder2001
    Options
    I use 100% Whey Protein Powder from ON (Optimum Nutrition). The good thing about protein powder is you can make it a meal replacement. Or use it for one of those No-Time-To-cook moments or consume a scoop or two first thing in the morning. Has over 20 grams of protein.

USER:)
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use my vanilla whey protein powder in all sorts of things--smoothies, mixed with cottage cheese or yogurt, oatmeal. It's an easy way to get quite a few grams of protein.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I think ill try it in a smoothie tomorrow morning.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Physiologically, it really doesn't matter when you take it. Do whatever works with your schedule. For me, Its either in a breakfast smoothie, or just after dinner if I notice that my protein ratio is low for the day.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey Adietron,

Whey Protein most used in the morning because its the "fastest" Protein to be build in your muscles and should mostly counterbalance the leak of your 8hrs sleep with no food.
    I by myself use it as breakfast with banana and oatmeal as a smoothie so I have a good start up with Protein and Carbs.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the broscience pushers. Honestly it doesn't matter when you have it, pay more attention to daily and weekly goals. That goes for protein intake and calorie intake in general btw.

The focus should always be to get more of your protein from whole foods, as they also contain a myriad of other vitamins and minerals etc, if you are on a restrictive caloric intake then eating 'real' foods will help with satiety over a whey shake too (keep you feeling fuller for longer).

As for how much you should have, that depends on your daily target. If you are aiming for 120g of protein per day and you are getting 80g, then have 1-2 scoops of powder to make up the difference.

Hope that helps a little =D
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    I would just avoid right before the gym it can make your tummy upset

I just picked some up this evening to incorporate into my diet.

When is the best time to do so?

How much per day?

I have 100 lbs. Lean mass if that helps.

I don't want to gain!!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different ratios thrown about for protein to LBM. I would aim for 0.5-0.7g/1lb LBM if you are losing weight as a minimum, if you are maintaining up it to around 1g/1lb LBM.

The protein can come from different sources, and have act at different speeds. Whey protein raises amino acid levels quickly and they fall back over about 3 hours or so. Others take longer to raise amino acid levels but it takes longer for them to fall back.

There is a lot of advice out there that recommends having a whey protein shake or a drink of milk (skimmed to keep calories down) after work out session. If you can add your shake into your diet plan after the exercise it would probably do best, having it as a meal substitute would also be ok so long as you are getting sufficient nutrients from your other meals.