Lower Resting Heart Rate!

Options
savvystephy
savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
I just want to say how happy I am to see my resting heart rate on my HRM as 55 beats per minute. How great is that? :smile:

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    the lower your resting rate the better?
  • jojogirl
    Options
    Low resting heart rate is good, yes.:heart:
    Good for you it's something I've been keeping an eye on myself and it's still a little too high for me. :grumble:
    Is there anything you would recommend?
  • roshong06
    Options
    What is a normal resting heart rate? And I need advice on a HRM. I really want one, but I have a pretty tight budget...is there any decent ones that won't break the bank? I don't want a peice of junk, but I don't need the mack daddy of HRM's either....I really just want to track my HR and Cals burned.
  • roshong06
    Options
    What is a normal resting heart rate?
  • jojogirl
    Options
    Your resting heart rate varies from person to person, and a HRM can track it for you. I JUST got a polar f6, there are different kinds depending on what activities you are doing. heartratemonitorsusa.com is where I got mine, a lot to choose from.

Your resting heart rate is best measured when you first wake up in the morning, before your feet leave the sheets.
    Grab a stopwatch, or a clock or watch with a second hand, then find your pulse. You can locate your pulse either in your radial artery on your wrist or at your carotid artery in your neck. Choose the spot that works best for you.

The only trick to measuring your heart rate is that you must use the correct fingers to do the measuring. Your thumb has a light pulse and can create some confusion when you are counting your beats. It's best to use your index finger and middle finger together.

After you find the beat, you need to count how many beats occur within 60 seconds. The shortcut to this method is to count the number of beats in 10 seconds, and then to multiply that number by 6. This method gives you a 60-second count.

Example: You count 7 beats in 10 seconds: 7 x 6 = 42 beats per minute.

If you have trouble finding your pulse or separating the beats in your body from the ticks of your watch, ask a friend for help. Have your friend count your pulse beats while you watch the clock or vice versa.
    Determining your resting heart rate- for dummies
    ~M~
  • savvystephy
    Options
    I have just been doing a bit of jogging and getting my heart rate to hard exercise levels on my Polar F6 for extended period of time. It has made my heart stronger, apparently. :tongue:

For normal heart rates / healthy resting heart rate I have referenced this article - http://realwomensfitness.com/womens-health/what-is-a-healthy-resting-heart-rate/
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm jealous! Mine is still at 85 BBM after 3 months of almost daily exercise and a 30 pound weight loss. It's come down some, but I look forward to the day it's in the 70's let alone the 50's! I've never tested it in the AM before getting out of bed- that count is after sitting still and relaxing for a few minutes.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate varies from person to person, and a HRM can track it for you. I JUST got a polar f6, there are different kinds depending on what activities you are doing. heartratemonitorsusa.com is where I got mine, a lot to choose from.

Your resting heart rate is best measured when you first wake up in the morning, before your feet leave the sheets.
    Grab a stopwatch, or a clock or watch with a second hand, then find your pulse. You can locate your pulse either in your radial artery on your wrist or at your carotid artery in your neck. Choose the spot that works best for you.

The only trick to measuring your heart rate is that you must use the correct fingers to do the measuring. Your thumb has a light pulse and can create some confusion when you are counting your beats. It's best to use your index finger and middle finger together.

After you find the beat, you need to count how many beats occur within 60 seconds. The shortcut to this method is to count the number of beats in 10 seconds, and then to multiply that number by 6. This method gives you a 60-second count.

Example: You count 7 beats in 10 seconds: 7 x 6 = 42 beats per minute.

If you have trouble finding your pulse or separating the beats in your body from the ticks of your watch, ask a friend for help. Have your friend count your pulse beats while you watch the clock or vice versa.
    Determining your resting heart rate- for dummies
    ~M~

That last part is quite funny- I don't normally have friends in my room when I wake up. :tongue:
  • jojogirl
    Options
    Mine is at 75 and I have been exercising pretty hard for a long time. I have never remembered to do this in the am before the HRM. I slept with the chest strap and watch on (uncomfortable) and I still forgot. I remembered when both feet were on the floor!! :grumble:
    I will be trying until I finally get it.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Ahh I'm jealous! Mine is still at 85 BBM after 3 months of almost daily exercise and a 30 pound weight loss. It's come down some, but I look forward to the day it's in the 70's let alone the 50's! I've never tested it in the AM before getting out of bed- that count is after sitting still and relaxing for a few minutes.

You will get there! Woo! :)

Mine seems to be ranging from 55 - 60 now as I watch my HRM change. :tongue: I should definitely try measuring it in the morning. Hook myself up to my HRM. :tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!