Any 80/10/10ers (Low Fat Raw Vegans) on here?

Options
Started using this site this past week & I was just hoping to find anyone else that follows 811. Would love to support each other.

Oh and if anyone is striving for 811 or has questions I would be glad to help out :)

Love & light!

Replies

• rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    what is 811?
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The 80/10/10 diet is by Dr. Doug Graham and is a form of raw vegan which focuses on fruit with some veggies, nuts & seeds. Just a low fat version of raw vegan and the actual diet our bodies are made for. The 80/10/10 stands for the ratio of carbs/fat/protien - for energy & mental health.

You can check out Freelee's story if your interested - she is amazing & so far I have seen great strides in my health in the little time I've been following (going on two months)
    http://sweetjuicyfreelee.com/2009/11/18/i-have-lost-28pounds-read-what-it-took-to-get-here-part-1/
    At the very bottom is a link to the part 2 - good read!!
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Wow I thought I might find one or two at least. Any Natural Hygienics or just raw vegans?
  • kc7671
    kc7671 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi there! not doing low fat raw vegan but thought i'd just say it's interesting and i am going to read the link you posted i am newly vegetarian and striving for vegan. it's been amazingly simple. one of the best decisions i've made. hoping an added benefit will be weight loss since i'm still carrying around baby weight from my son's birth (almost a year ago now :-() good luck to you. would love to hear more about your vegan journey (as i'm still learning!)
  • alex8118
    alex8118 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am vegan and really interested in becoming raw. I am about 80% at the moment(or at least mostly), and have ordered in the 80/10/10 book. Can't wait to start reading... How long have you been raw for? Do you have to supplement/vit pills any more than on a vegan diet?
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 5-6 years and during that time tried vegan and raw, did all the research, learned as much as I could but could never stick with it. At the beginning of this year I was eating SAD vegetarian (lots of cheese, pasta, and vegetarian junk food). I was weighing in at 175lbs (the most I ever weighed) and felt horrible and sick all the time. I had no energy and didn't accomplish anything in a days time. I decided my life had to change. I did a small water fast to let my body rest and heal without aggrevating it. Then I went straight to 80/10/10 which I had discovered a couple days into my water fast. Water fasting is different than starvation - its for healing not weight loss. Regardless I did lose weight (fat in the blood and around the organs weighs a lot!) and I have been raw for the past 3 months. I am eating as much as I want now, have tons of energy, and never stop!! I'm loving life, getting sun, and feeling great. I don't supplement as thats really not needed if you take care of all the aspects of your life.
    So glad your going raw Alex - its a great journey!! Definitely give it a shot KC - best thing I have ever done!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am doing Dr.mcDougall.com I eat as much raw salad as I can. Barely cooked oat bran, and beans and brown rice. I have diabetes, diet controlled. So the only fruit I eat is some berries and apple. Once in a while I cheat and eat a banana.

I have been doing this for 2 months 1/2 months. I feel great and am down at least 2 sizes. I am very happy with my vegan plan. it's nice to see others doing it. kc
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    That's wonderful Kcwriter!! Congrats on all your accomplishments! Maybe you would like to join us in the Raw Challenge as it sounds like you already eat plenty of raw foods. We are doing a month long of 75% raw or more. Hope to have great tips, support, and a great time :)
  • sumblondchic
    Options
    I would love to do this, its just so difficult with what our culture throws in our faces at every moment! I was vegan for a while but I slipped up, but would love to some day eventually get back there! I got interested in that lifestyle after reading a great book called Skinny *****, and it was very eye opening as to what goes on behind closed doors in the meat industry as well as the dairy industry, soda, etc. I would love to get back on the bandwagon but it is so tough with a busy hectic life, kids and people always inviting us over for bbqs and dinners out...it is just a difficult plan to follow in the American culture. However, it is definitely my goal to get back there! Eating meat always makes me feel unsettled, I just felt much better when I didnt. Kudos to you for being able to withstand the pressures of the outside world and stay strong! I hope I can again soon too!!
  • denisewhitt
    Options
    I read a few books this year that have changed my eating habits for a lifetime. Eating Animals and Skinny Bi*** opened my eyes to a cruel world that I can honestly say I was oblivious to. I gave up meat and fish in January and gained a lot of weight due to an increase in pasta and bread. I'm striving to become a vegan, but there are times when egg or cheese products creep into the food I eat. Two months ago I started Medifast and lost 15 lbs. I'm trying to find a happy balance between eating healthy and eliminating all animal products from my diet. The biggest problem I'm having right now if finding foods that are high in protein, but low in carbs. Any suggestions from this group on where to find those types of food?
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Quinoa is one of the best grains and is packed full with 9 amino acids which your body then forms into protein. I'm not sure where it stands on the carb scale but its a form of protein that is actually usable by your body unlike animal products. As a woman you really don't need as much protein as people think - especially when its coming from amino acids and from a source which is easily assimilated like quinoa. You have to remember RDA are based on the average person in your region - if you eat from better sources you are no longer average. Many people go veggie and increase the pastas & bread but you have replace them with fruit & veggies instead. Eat all your servings of fruit & veggies early in the day so that you get your fill and will eat less of the processed grains later. Skinny B**** is great because its opening up a lot of people's eye; however, those chicks don't eat anything!!! Talk about being hungry! You need to eat larger volumes of fruits & veggies to get vitamins, minerals and the feeling of full. Don't be afraid to dig in!!

Here is a great source for info on carbohydrates and how they fuel or bodies & brains:
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/carbohydrates/
    Another one on protein:
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/proteins/

I get all my protien from fruit, leafy greens, and a handful of nuts. I have gained more muscle since eating this way - I am stronger and I'm working out longer and harder. I don't feel sore or fatigued. I feel great with no complaints what so ever.
  • irishhh
    irishhh Posts: 11
    Options
    Dude! I'd never even heard of this and I've been looking for something like this. See, there is something new to learn everyday... Now if only I could be sure that all my fruits and veggies are from non-gmo, pesticide free, and just awesome... Any tips on that? Since Monsanto owns so much, it is very difficult to even find out if the fruit and veggies at the store are actually from them... I'd love to avoid them if at all possible. They are evil.
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    The best option would be to buy all organic and then buy straight from farmers you talk to. Head to farmer's markets or look up a CSA - just plug in your zip & see if its available in your area - http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Grow your own - sounds like hard work but you can do it even with just pots. I have cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, zuchinni, baby greens, green onion, basil, parsley, dill, all growing in pots & producing!!

You can get the biggest reduction just by cutting out processed foods & soy. These items are concentrated with the stuff. At least fresh comes in a form that will help in eliminating any bad stuff in it.

Irish - if you haven't checked out the link to Freelee you really should. Great inspiration - its in the third post on this thread
  • tleah60
    tleah60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started going raw about a month ago. I've been checking out 811. How are you doing? I know that low fat is the way to go, and the information from the 811 book makes sence. I just ordered it this evening.
    Tammy