is more protein making me hungrier?

Options
cwatson1214
cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
Hello all,

I just recently changed things up a bit to include even more protein in my diet. My mornings consist of plain greek yogurt with kash go lean crunch added with a touch of honey. morning snack is blueberries. lunch is salmon, quinoa harvest blend and edamame. by this point I am over my protein goal.

Then dinner is usually a low cal dinner.

By 8:00 i am famished,, I know all the tricks that I have evensuggested to other people to avoid nightime hunger attacks, but for some reason I feel like I am extra hungrier these past two days.

Any thoughts????

Replies

• bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have always heard, and observed myself, that protein has an increased satiety effect, which would be the opposite of what you suggest.
    I can't see your diary, and don't know what time you eat supper, but there is no reason to avoid eating after 8:00 pm, unless you are out of calories by then. I routinely go over my protein goal, by the way, with no ill affects.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? I eat 100 grams of protein on non-workout days and I stay full all day and night.
  • sdb989
    sdb989 Posts: 1
    Options
    my protien goal is 58 grams, I can reach that goal. my issue is the more protien i eat the more hungry i become. I can eat a 14oz steak with in one hour im starving. I am talking so hunrgy that if i dont eat it hurts as if i havnt eatten in 24 hours. its not just meats its any type or proteins. Im really confused on this. every one says protine holds you over. I have even proved my point buy blowing my cal count and eatting almost a full bucket of extra cripsy kfc chicken. like clock work hour later im starving. I feel like i eat all the time. if i skip the meat n eat things such as ceral noodles bread im fine. add meats i eat like a straving person whos not been fed in days. please explain. no one else can. could this be a part of my ADHD? every one says im nuts and i just think im hungry, when other people can hear my hunger i know im not nuts.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Is it because you are replacing something else with protein? I know that lots of people are phobic about carbs around here, but I find that a meal that includes carbs (preferably wholegrain) keep me more full than a big chunk of protein and veggies.
    Maybe give it a bit longer to see if you get used to eating this way, but if you keep feeling really hungry, then I would be experimenting with adding in something different - maybe carbs (oatmeal, brown rice for example), maybe more fats (nuts, avocado etc) and see what works best for you.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Its your low cal dinner. Obviously, you are eating too low calories at that point. Unless you're eating a ton of veggies, your low calories will be digested faster.

If I eat a 200 calorie meal, USUALLY I'll digest it faster than a 600 calorie meal.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agreed. Try to spread your calories out evenly among your meals iorder to stay full all day.
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    Also, having a whole bucket of KFC chicken isn't helping. It is fastfood, and fastfood is making you hungry. The next time you try to eat a lot of meat I'd go for healthier ways to prepare your food like grilling or cooking. Fried food isn't good for any diet whatsoever.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am finding that some protein with lots of high fiber vegetables fills me up.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Also, having a whole bucket of KFC chicken isn't helping. It is fastfood, and fastfood is making you hungry. The next time you try to eat a lot of meat I'd go for healthier ways to prepare your food like grilling or cooking. Fried food isn't good for any diet whatsoever.

Oh please as long as this person is within her calorie goal she can eat whatever she wants. If anything protein keeps you full as well as fat. Protein and fat are your friends not your enemy.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    58 grams of protein is likely not enough. I get over 100 grams and am never hungry. As one poster said, it is at the expense of another macro, carbs. I am on restricted carb diet so I can't have very many per my MD so he advises at least 20 grams of protein 4 times a day.

Fat and protein are known to digest slower then carbs, not spike your blood sugar and keep you full longer. It is very doubtful it is the protein making you hungry. Try to make sure you get the 20 grams 4 times a day and see if that works for you. The trick with protein is that your body can only use 30 grams at a time so if you eat more than 30 grams it is not used by the muscles the same.

If you are not opposed to protein shakes, casein protein is a slow digesting protein. Try having a shake in the evening.
  • BAHBOOK2012
    BAHBOOK2012 Posts: 11
    Options
    This sounds odd for a number of reasons as protein alone doesn't stave off hunger neither will KFC which whilst tasty it isn't that nutritional. You need to ensure that you eat nutritional foods that have equal amounts of carbs like rice and pasta, preferably brown wholegrain rice - even 100 grams rice and say 150 grams of chicken breast for main meal should provide with vegatables sufficient nutritions so that you are not hungry. It will help if you also look at what you eat for breakfast eg whilst greek yogurts etc slim fast may be good for protein they are light foods with little weight to leave you feeling full. I tend to only use eg slim fast as a lazy option or when eg training running in the hours after light meal as it aids workouts not to be to full, also it is better to stock up with calories 1-2 hours max after a good workout. Hope this helps but KFC is a no no for diet and/or trying to full up.