Cheating on the eating

Options
Hi, I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories, but find that I tend not to eat clean, in an attempt to up the calories i.e. there's a fair bit of cookies/chocolate/ice cream involved. Now, that seems counter productive to me? But on the other hand, I have a severe deficit of calories if I eat just good stuff. What do I do?????

Replies

• BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Nuts are very high in calories and I often use them to bump the calories up. Same with houmous, I often eat that with carrot sticks if I need extra calories. Bearing in mind, if I want the cookie, I'll have the cookie.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    carbs: bread, potatoes, pasta. Still healthy in moderation but will up your calories.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I just eat chocolate chip cookies to increase. No idea if good or bad, don;t care. Being over weight is bad for me, so when I get that in control I'll start lloking at the food I eat
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit - 30g of sultanas is 90cals if I remember right, and is also one of your 5 a day.
    I know its probably not classed as clean but I really like Muller Rice - 200 ish cals a pot, low fat and tasty : ). And sometimes I'll even add a couple of teaspoons of honey to the plain ones. Yummy : )
  • adrianfm1977
    adrianfm1977 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    as long as you eat your main calories i wouldnt try eating the exercise calories back i have found that eating them back means a lower loss in weight.. not sure if that how its supposed to be but.. thats what i have found ..
    I just eat what I need and should eat hope you dont mind me saying that and so far lost 18lb .. never eaten exercise calories
    Adrian
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil on your veg salad? Semi skimmed milk instead of skimmed, nuts
    or nut butter?
  • 247momma
    247momma Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories, but find that I tend not to eat clean, in an attempt to up the calories i.e. there's a fair bit of cookies/chocolate/ice cream involved. Now, that seems counter productive to me? But on the other hand, I have a severe deficit of calories if I eat just good stuff. What do I do?????

What are your goals? Are eating your calories back because you want to maintain? What ever the reason, I'd suggest you add in GOOD fats and proteins. Processed breads, cookies and ice cream do NOT fall into that category. Healthy ways to increase your calories are to add a healthy fat/oil to what ever your cooking like olive or coconut oil. Olives, guacamole (skip the chips), macadamia nuts and almonds are also really great choices. You might be eating more sugar because once you put it in your system your insulin spikes and you then crave more. You might also want to take a sugar free Vitamin C supplement to help curb your sugar cravings. Good luck.
  • pmanco2009
    pmanco2009 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Those are really good ideas, and I will try and implement them. So basically, I will up my calories using good carbs and fats/ and try not to eat back ALL my exercise calories. Hmmm! Will update with progress report soon.:wink:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Pistachios = 320 calories, 24 Almonds = 130 calories, 2 cup of 1% Milk = 300 calories, All Natural Peanut Butter 2 Tbps.= 190 calories, to name a few things you could add.. Nuts are a good source of fats and high in calories...