Overwhelmed at gym

Options
A little background first...I have an elliptical at home, and that's how I'm getting my cardio done. I can't afford a personal trainer. I've watched countless YouTube videos. I have had broken wrists on both arms so anything like planks or pushups are out. I have plantar fasciitis and anything high impact really really hurts (like jumping jacks). I'm just now getting some endurance as I've been doing the elliptical for about 6 weeks, otherwise, I'm very weak and out of shape. There's nothing strong on my body, well, except maybe my fingers, from typing. :laugh:

So, with that said and all of that out of the way, moving on to the issue at hand.

I had a 30 minute "orientation" session yesterday with a trainer. He ran me through the machines and said that the best thing for me is a total body workout... legs, chest, arms, back, abs. He even gave me a schedule of what machines to use on what day (about 7 machines per day-different machines each session for a total of 22 machines per week). This is overwhelming to me and complicated, not to mention that I can't possibly do the 12-reps-repeat-4-times-per-machine thing, at least not yet.

What would be the best, and simplest way to work my way into this total body routine using the weight machines? I want to do it, I just can't possibly do it yet. I need to modify this. Should I try to concentrate first on maybe 3 or 4 machines, or 1 body part at a time until I get more strength? Lower the reps??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would pick out a few machines and start there. Put the weights/settings/whatever on a very low setting and see what you can do. If its too easy, make it a little bit harder. Do what you can and move to a different machine. You don't have to do everything at once. Take it slow and easy. As your body and your confidence builds up, you can add machines and add resistance to each machine as needed. This isn't a race. Best of luck to you!!
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym to much or have an expertese in these sort of things but my suggestion would be to just work your way up to that. You want to push your body but to a point. I think you should start with lower reps. Working the whole body will feel good. Be careful with the wrists but still work with them so they strengthen as well..
    For the plantar fasciitis, try cycling. My fiance has it and his physical therapist has him doing that as a low impact cardio exercise.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Our local Y has lots of different equipment. When you go for their orientation they show it all to you, but you don't have to do it all and you can go at your own pace. They did set it up with FitLinxx (and I like that as I can pull reports off the internet on cardio and strength training that show weight lifted, reps and form, how many times you go to a particular machine, etc. It also tracks numbers of visits to the facility.) Though I am on hiatus from weights right now due to surgery, in the past I tended to do lower body one day, then upper body the next -- just so I would also be there to do cardio more days per week. (In addition to trying to squeeze my gym time in between work and getting home to cook dinner, etc.) You'll find what you like and what works best for your body. Good luck!
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fiscisus or whatever the **** it's called. You can start slow till your feet get stronger they can handle more exercise. You can get some of those floor mats for exercise and wear shoes with good arch support. If they are sore you can take frozen water bottles to ice them. The lady at the place I got my insoles from told me this and I tried it. I had to wear shoes all the time for the first 6 months because they were too sore to walk on anything. I saw a big improvement doing martial arts. I assume because I would train barefoot but on a mat so it was soft and easy on my feet but at the same time they were getting stronger from not being supported by an insole or a shoe. If you can't do a lot of reps just use less weight or none at all till you feel strong enough sometimes it's good to learn the form first. If you try to lift more than you can you will use other muscles and add stress on your bones and joints. You won't get desired results. I would use resistance bands for your arms because curls with weights can be hard on the wrists. You can go on youtube and find videos from physiotherapists and trainers for mild low impact exercises to target the muscles around your weak areas.
  • hvstmoon1
    hvstmoon1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Best advice is definitely total body workout. If I were you I would pick 9 exercises off that list and then do a circuit of those machines that day with the number of reps you feel comfortable doing in a single set. Aim for 12-15. Only give yourself the time it takes to wipe done the machine you just left to the time it takes you to set up the next machine for your resting period. This will help keep your heart rate in fat burning mode. Remember lifting weights is not supposed to be easy, but you don't want too hurt yourself either.

Once you are comfortable with working in a circuit, You will already notice that you are stronger and can add more weight. Then you can start toning by adding sets on each machine. You don't have to jump right into 3 sets of 15 reps. I sure didn't, but I am at that damn gym every day, I am stronger, leaner, and healthier. I have lost 22 lbs. in 14 weeks and I plateaued for 6 of those. I didn't give up, fought every step of the way and still have 24 lbs. to go.

You don't want to weight train every day, but if you only have a goal of 2x per week you will in reality train one time. My weekly goal is every other day and I usually get in 3x per week. If I am short on time I will set the resistance higher on the Arc Trainer or Elliptical and I know I am working my legs and getting cardio at the same time.

Another thing to remember is you can work your core every single day. You don't need push ups and you can still plank by leaning on your forearms instead of a full push up position. Get a stability ball for sit ups and oblique sit ups, as well as a plethora of other core exercises, just do the research on which size is best for your height. Most of the information on the boxes is incorrect.
  • morganlachapelle
    Options
    You don't need to go to the gym, there are way better activities out there that get you a BETTER workout. I would suggest a bootcamp class (which I am doing right now) and it's fantastic! It's fun and energetic and always different and you always get a total body workout. My instructor is awesome- he accommodates everyone's different fitness levels and it's always different. WAY better than going to the boring gym, AND it does not have to be expensive if you shop around, I looked at 5 different bootcamps before I chose mine and I would recommend it to anybody. It is well worth the money you DO spend. Plus, you make friends and socialize and encourage each other. The ladies in my group are wonderful- I have a hard time with narrow grip push ups and they always cheer me on. :)
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Best advice is definitely total body workout. If I were you I would pick 9 exercises off that list and then do a circuit of those machines that day with the number of reps you feel comfortable doing in a single set. Aim for 12-15. Only give yourself the time it takes to wipe done the machine you just left to the time it takes you to set up the next machine for your resting period. This will help keep your heart rate in fat burning mode. Remember lifting weights is not supposed to be easy, but you don't want too hurt yourself either.

Once you are comfortable with working in a circuit, You will already notice that you are stronger and can add more weight. Then you can start toning by adding sets on each machine. You don't have to jump right into 3 sets of 15 reps. I sure didn't, but I am at that damn gym every day, I am stronger, leaner, and healthier. I have lost 22 lbs. in 14 weeks and I plateaued for 6 of those. I didn't give up, fought every step of the way and still have 24 lbs. to go.

You don't want to weight train every day, but if you only have a goal of 2x per week you will in reality train one time. My weekly goal is every other day and I usually get in 3x per week. If I am short on time I will set the resistance higher on the Arc Trainer or Elliptical and I know I am working my legs and getting cardio at the same time.

Another thing to remember is you can work your core every single day. You don't need push ups and you can still plank by leaning on your forearms instead of a full push up position. Get a stability ball for sit ups and oblique sit ups, as well as a plethora of other core exercises, just do the research on which size is best for your height. Most of the information on the boxes is incorrect.

I would add to that get yourself an exercise journal and keep it in your gym bag, (there are also I phone apps as well) it will help you organize your plan and preplanning allowes you more focus once you are in the gym. Rock it!

added on edit - You might want to look at this http://hmrjmr1.hubpages.com/hub/Basics-of-Healthy-Diet-and-Excercise-Workout-and-Excercise-Journal
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    A little background first...I have an elliptical at home, and that's how I'm getting my cardio done. I can't afford a personal trainer. I've watched countless YouTube videos. I have had broken wrists on both arms so anything like planks or pushups are out. I have plantar fasciitis and anything high impact really really hurts (like jumping jacks). I'm just now getting some endurance as I've been doing the elliptical for about 6 weeks, otherwise, I'm very weak and out of shape. There's nothing strong on my body, well, except maybe my fingers, from typing. :laugh:

So, with that said and all of that out of the way, moving on to the issue at hand.

I had a 30 minute "orientation" session yesterday with a trainer. He ran me through the machines and said that the best thing for me is a total body workout... legs, chest, arms, back, abs. He even gave me a schedule of what machines to use on what day (about 7 machines per day-different machines each session for a total of 22 machines per week). This is overwhelming to me and complicated, not to mention that I can't possibly do the 12-reps-repeat-4-times-per-machine thing, at least not yet.

What would be the best, and simplest way to work my way into this total body routine using the weight machines? I want to do it, I just can't possibly do it yet. I need to modify this. Should I try to concentrate first on maybe 3 or 4 machines, or 1 body part at a time until I get more strength? Lower the reps??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I have plantar also, there are exercises to help fix and relieve the pain...google it, I do them and they work, I stand on my feet at work from 5 to 7 hours a day, and hit the gym about 3-4 days a weeek, with little to no pain...did you tell the trainer about your feet and wrists, if so they should have shown you the best things for strenghting those...good luck...lower reps and weight on machines till you are able to add more.....
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    definitely focus first on your core and balance. When I first started, I had back pain, weak knees, one leg inexplicably weaker than the other... and I aws very much out of shape.

So: do a little cardio at whichever setting is good for you. Ask if the gym has a balance plate or air cushion - this is REALLY good for excercising your leg muscles to improve balance which in turn takes pressure off your knees: because now your muscles are helping with the balance! If the gym has an excercise ball, use that for your core: both stomach and back. The back excrcises are again very important for your overall posture and to take the pressure off your spine: because your muscles are helping!

Good advice I got when I finally had my right leg checked out and it turned out that I had a misaligned muscle in my calf (wtf? how'd it do that?) which kept pulling at the ligaments in my knee and that kept hurting the knee... and since the knee would hurt, I'd favour the other leg and therefore the muscle wasn't as developed as the other leg... anyways, to break this viscious circle: when you notice that your one side is weaker than the other, it's ok to do as much as you can on both sides (e.g. 10 reps on one side, 8 on the other. Or use a different weight for the same amount of repetitions.): so long as you keep pushing, your body will try to even itself out.
  • romoli
    romoli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to go slow if it's too difficult make it easier. But if it's too easy you need to do more. You need to keep a diary of your progress here so that you are always challenging yourself. I don't think it's important to jump right into the regime as, if it is too difficult, it will cause you pain and discomfort possibly injury and stop you from achieving goals.

I prefer to do less reps and more weight. Making my muscles burn and hurt the next day... that's how I know they're still burning calories... I'm not suggesting you do the same I'm only saying you have to make your routine YOUR routine.

Hope this helped
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The machines are where I started! I would have been terrified of the gym if it was just free weights. If you want to start slowly you can work one body part per day to give the rest of your body more time to recover. Once you get stronger you'll recover faster. The thing you have to remember is you have to work opposite muscle groups. For example if you do a pushing exercise make sure you do a pulling exercise. Same rule applies to legs, you want to work both front and back. You can do as many reps as you want but make sure you're pushing yourself.

If you want to avoid alternating body parts and machines and all that confusingness, do every machine. It sounds like your gym has a lot but you can pick the basics, work every muscle group. Do a couple sets on each machine and work out way around the gym but only do it 2-3 times per week. Alternate with cardio to give you muscles time to recover and you can even alternate your cardio too, 10 minutes on a bike, 10 minutes on a treadmill, 10 minutes rowing - Keeps it interesting.

If you're doing 12 reps and 4 sets you're going to use a lower weight. If you want to do less reps, like maybe 2 sets of 8-10 use a weight that makes you struggle. You want to be tired on rep 8. There's nothing wrong with a 20 minute workout if you're working HARD. In the same sense a 90 minute workout won't do much if it doesn't challenge you. Like other people have said, incorporate a little cardio in with your weight training and start small but be sure to push yourself. You will get stronger over time and once all of it gets boring, youtube videos or grab a few extra sessions with that personal trainer they will have tips to keep it interesting.

Even if you feel intimidated just remember that you're working to improve your health and your body which is more than a lot of people can say. Congrats!

Edit: I have plantar too and these are amazing. I don't wear them in my running shoes but in my work shoes and they make my feet feel so much better I don't need inserts in my running shoes and I even feel comfortable walking barefoot for the first time in years! I understand your pain and I highly recommend them! http://www.amazon.com/Heel-Seats-W11-13-M9-12-BLUE/dp/B000KPHHPG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336738614&sr=8-7
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks, all of you, for the great advice! This has been very helpful. What wonderful encouragement too!

:happy:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pick 1 thing to do per major muscle group
    1) Chest - a "push" machine
    2) Back- a "pull" machine
    3) Quads
    4) Hamstrings
    5) Glutes - if you didn't hit the booty with the leg exercises
    6) Shoulders
    7) Arms Biceps and Triceps if you didn't get them with the chest and back

Always equally train opposite muscles, like chest/back and hamstring/quads, and if you hate doing a particular muscle group- that's probably the one you need to do the most. For me it's shoulders. If I didn't keep a log sheet I would almost certainly skip my shoulders every time I work out. I think your trainer made it way too complicated!