216 carbs per day?

Options
For some reason, im finding this number extremely high. could this possibly be right? i would like to change my settings to higher protein and lower carbs, but not sure how to balance it properly. does anyone have the right percentages that i could enter?

Replies

• scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Percentage wise i do 40 carbs, 35 protein (gives me ~ 1g/per lb of TOTAL body weight), 25 fat. Which is pretty close to the standard 40/30/30. "right" percentages depends on person (physiology, etc.), but these are good numbers to start with.

This has worked great for me. I usually stay well below my carbs, anyway, I m usually over protein which is all good, and I keep fats in check.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you talk to, low carbers' will have a totally different opinion to others...There is a group on MFP for them.
    Having said that it does seem like a lot to me too.
    I'd adjust it down- unless you are training for a marathon. Experiment for a few weeks and test it on yourself, it's the best way to find out for sure.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the above - for me the 40% carbs, 30 to 35 protein and 25 to 30 fat work well. I got the figures from several various books about running and eating plans. You may need to experiment to see what works for you. At one point, I tried the primal diet which was only 20% or less carbs and for a month I was quite a moody and *itchy woman. LOL. So, I eased some back in but feel much better than when my carb numbers were over 150. You can set those numbers in your GOALS settings.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    Wow that is high, at least for me. I have noticed that MFP calculates a high carb, low fat equation, I prefer a lower carb, higher protien, moderate fat diet. On my MFP profile I have 1300 daily calories with 40% carbs (130mg or less) 25% protien (81mg or more) 35% fat (51mg or less) Now this works well with 1300 calories but if I were to go up on my calories I would probably lower my carbs to stay 130mg or less per day since this is what my body needs to lose weight. I gain weight when my carbs go over 130mg per day even on low fat diets. I have been able to get off my diabetes meds and lower my A1C down to 4.9, I have loads of energy and feel so much better and I have dropped about 35 pounds since January.
  • maksimsmom
    maksimsmom Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks all, i am going to try the 40/30/30 and see how that works for me. thanks for the input :)