Getting in Shape for the Wedding

Options
kaploetz
kaploetz Posts: 8 Member
Hi, II'm new to MFP and am looking forward to being part of the community!

I am 5"9 and currently 164lb and have a goal of 135lb. I was down to 145lb last summer, but quit smoking and started pastry school at the same time and gained 20 pounds. I am getting married in September and am ready to get in shape and fit into my dress! I would love to connect with some other bride-to-bes, or anyone else who is starting their journey again after some set-backs.

Good luck!

Replies

• WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey kaploetz,

My wife and I also slimmed down for our wedding, which was only like a year and two months ago. It's a challenge but what an awesome one, and just think how great your photo's will look. I find myself looking at them so much, and I'm happy we made the effort to get in shape. We kinda slipped a bit after the wedding, I think pre-wedding stress is a great diet tool haha, but we have been on MFP for maybe a month or so and are already seeing results. You can totally do it!
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Hope you achieve everything you hope to. Are you quite small framed? I only ask as I'm 5'9" and started this journey at 182lb, now I'm 159lb and 26% BF and I'm only looking to tone up, and lose a few more pounds. If I can offer you any advice, it would be to start weight training early so that you can tone up and not lose muscle mass instead of fat! Good luck!
  • Lisa_Pick
    Lisa_Pick Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

Am also getting married this year on 1 September and hoping to shift the excess lbs or stones rather but going to take one day at a time.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaploetz

I am getting married in March next year so trying to get wedding fit also :). I was in a reasonable shape but like you I recently gave up smoking and the weight gain has been shocking. Hopefully the extra weight will go away as quick as it appears (highly unlikely).

I am hoping that becoming totally fit will ease the wedding planning stress - and make sure I don't uptake smoking again.
  • kaploetz
    Options
    I guess I'd call myself medium-boned. I set my goal of 135lb based on bmi ranges for my height, but also because I was down to 145 last summer and was feeling really good about myself at that weight. I know that is attainable (because I've done it before) and I want to push myself a little further for the wedding. How I look and feel matters way more than the number on the scale, and if I settled at a higher number because of additional muscle mass, I would be happy with that.
  • kaploetz
    Options
    Titanuim,

Stay strong! I quit last August and haven't had a cigarette since, though occasionally I find myself having one in a dream - and it tastes pretty gross!

It really is aggravating how much easier it is to gain weight than it is to lose it. I try not to use quitting as an excuse for gaining weight, instead I remind myself how important it was for me to quit, how proud I am of myself for doing it, and how the weight gain was worth it because now I can breath and enjoy healthy foods more!