Help Runners!

Options
Ok, so I am 48 years old on MFP since Jan 2012, only 4 # lost, but over 2 1/2 inches lost, and I recently upped my calories, and the intensity of my walking program. I found to my utter surprise that I was able to jog for 15 minutes, and yesterday 20 minutes at a stretch. Now, my form is pitiful, and I am quite sure I am not running even 5mph! Does this count...and should I continue to pursue it? I checked out the couch to 5k, and am doing every other day. I plan to add strength and cardio on non running (embarrassed to even call it running-more like a geriatric shuffle!) days to get some weight loss. does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count it?

I am running and my average pace right now is about 4.7. Yes, it's slow, but so what? And I'm 11 years younger than you so it's not just a geriatric shuffle.
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yep, I'm 44 years old and my normal pace is around 4.7 mph...I'm not bothered...I'm doing some exercise and burning some calories!! Keep it up...it all helps
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, then my all means, continue to run, regardless of how fast.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"

Keep it up:flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. If you're enjoying it why not?

The only words of caution I'd offer if you're transitioning from walking to running would be to:

1) make sure you have the appropriate footwear. If you plan on running get fitted by a running specialty shop as there are different types of shoes for people with different gaits.

2) Don't rush the progress. Most running injuries are the result of too much too fast too soon. I didn't start running until after I'd hit the half century mark, you'll be amazed by what you're capable of with the right training and attitude.

Have fun!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    run   /rʌn/ verb, ran, run, run·ning, noun, adjective
    verb (used without object)
    1. to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.

If you are doing this ^^ you are running.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 46. Started with a walk/run similar to couch to 5K and I was slow. I'm now 49 and have 5 half marthons under my belt (most recently last Sunday) and on a good day will average a 10:30 minute mile (faster for shorter races).

Keep it up. You can do it!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

The only words of caution I'd offer if you're transitioning from walking to running would be to:

1) make sure you have the appropriate footwear. If you plan on running get fitted by a running specialty shop as there are different types of shoes for people with different gaits.

2) Don't rush the progress. Most running injuries are the result of too much too fast too soon. I didn't start running until after I'd hit the half century mark, you'll be amazed by what you're capable of with the right training and attitude.

Have fun!

^^ perfect answer!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Of course you should continue, as long as you enjoy it and want to continue. Don't worry about speed, work on building endurance first. Speed will naturally increase as you get more miles under your belt, and once you are running/jogging the distance you want, you can start adding in speed work. When I first started a few years ago (in my 40's), I was running about a 12.5 minute mile in a 5K, and now I've finally gotten below a 10 minute mile, and training to get even lower :-)
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are running!! Don't worry about the speed either. I am 44 & run at between 10:30 & 13:00 min/mi depending on the distance. Not fast by any means. I have completed various 5k, 2 x 10k, 2 x half marathon & 1 x marathon. Although I am slower than lots of people I still class myself as a "runner" & woe betide anyone that says otherwise!!! Keep on doing what ur doing & well done on what u have achieved!! :flowerforyou:
    PS make sure u get properly fitted for trainers to help avoid injuries!!
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your encouragement, and good advice-it is greatly appreciated! I never thought I would enjoy it, but there is something that makes you want to get out there again-isn't there? Maybe it is the challenge. Anyway....off I go..."Lord willing...and the creek don't rise!"
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There is a revolution happening in running these days, brought on by former US Olympic Marathon runner, Jeff Galloway. Galloway's method involves intentional run-walk throughout the entire run, whether or not you're running in a race or simply doing a few miles around your neighborhood. The process is very simple -- walk one minute, run/jog/shuffle step for 3-4-5 minutes, making adjustments as you go. You can stretch out the run time, increase the walk time, don't walk at all, or whatever works for you on any given day. The reasons? The main reason is to avoid injury, the second is to increase your love of running (as you'll be able to do what "you're comfortable with", and not your gazelle neighbor. The third is distance -- with walking and running you'll be able to go much further than you'd ever imagine, and perhaps one of the last is pace. If you take regular walk breaks, your body will retain its energy stores longer, thus allowing you to actually run faster on aggregate than you would by running the entire time. I just did this process for an entire marathon and even though I had to rough it while many non walkers passed me by, I eventually caught up and passed many of them, as when it came to miles 20-26, the crowd got very thin as this is where the "wall" consumes a lot of runners who either give up completely or barely make it in, vowing to never do it again... Yes, I'm generalizing... I'm not making a blanket statement. But walking and running is wise and is proven to work very effectively. Mr. Galloway has run in many Boston Marathons, which require a very fast pace and only the best of the best distance runners qualify for this race. Yep, folks will scoff at this and try to belittle it, but that's ok.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"

Keep it up:flowerforyou:

Love this! I'm not the fastest runner either, but at least I am lapping everybody on the couch. :laugh:
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You know, that is very sound advice! Being older, and not as fit, and with 4 children I am very cautious about protecting myself from injury. I am only racing myself, and pushing for my health!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and do not give it up. When I first started running, I would run about 5 to 10 k and have to stop to walk about 4 or 5 times. Now I do half marathons the whole way without stopping once. Eventually you will be able to run farther and farther, Don't worry about the speed, it's not a race. Good luck to you.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The minute you step up your pace to more than a walk, you are a runner. Take it and run!! :smile:
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am this count!!!!!! At 4.5 mph on the treadmill, i am jogging because honestly I can't walk that fast.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Do what feels right and hold your head up. Be proud of your progress.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options

Have fun!

^^ perfect answer!

All of this!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are a runner! Don't worry about speed, just try adding time little by little. Couch to 5K is great for lots of people. Like someone else said, make sure you have good shoes though. Your speed will increase...even if you don't want it to...as you get better. That is just what happens!