Protein required at every meal. Need suggestions!

Options
Hi!
My trainer has told me to up my protein to achieve the goals I want. He has told me to have protein at every meal (I eat 5-6 small meals a day).

Can anyone help me with some ideas on how to get this much protein on a clean eating diet. I can't have carbs after lunch and I don't want to eat too many nuts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    string cheese, ricotta cheese, milk, yogurt, I add protein powder to my oatmeal with peanuts and berries
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes, Cottage Cheese w/ Fruit, Egg Whites, Beef Jerky, Protein bars, oatmeal, Natural Peanut butter, Protein Smoothies
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    (Not sure if you are veg/vegan, etc... but...)

My plan has me eating 80% protein 4 days a week. It's a lot, I know, and I have a rough time hitting it. But I can usually get close.

Breakfast: usually egg/egg whites in some combination, with canadian bacon or lean ham.

1st snack: low carb yogurt or greek yogurt, sometimes almonds or walnuts and 1/2 an apple.

Lunch: chicken and veggies...not as boring or time-consuming as you think! I buy chicken breasts, grill them, package them in single portion sizes, and freeze them. Grab-n-go, and they can be easily nuked later, if need be.

I use them with romaine, tomatoes, and chopped veggies for a salad; with california blend veggies and some teriyaki sauce; romaine, tomatoes, black olives, salsa, shredded cheddar and a dab of sour cream for a taco salad, or just naked with broccoli or green beans!

2nd snack: cottage cheese and low sugar fruit, like berries. Or cheese and ham, with mustard for dipping.

Dinner: I can spend more time on this, usually, so I go with fish or turkey breast and a plateful of steamed veggies. My fave right now is cod fillets, sprinkled with basil, garlic, salt, and pepper...sometimes dipped in egg and bread crumbs, and pan fried in a tablespoon of olive oil.

Late snack/post workout: protein shake. I make mine in a blender with ice...tastes just like a milkshake! I play with the ingredients some: fresh or frozen fruits, coffee, yogurt, peanut butter, flax seed...just depends on how my macros are shaping up for the day.

I hope you get some great suggestions! Good luck!
  • ritacinde
    ritacinde Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on the Food Lovers Fat Loss Plan and the suggested way to add protein is with protein powder made into slushies or shakes. Hope this helps
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Eggs or fish (smoked salmon)
    Snacks: cheese, crabsticks, nuts, roast soy beans or edemame beans, hard boiled egg,
    Lunch: salad or soup with meat or cheese (eg dress the salad with cottage cheese or humous)
    Dinner : lean meat and veg
  • FightGirl83
    FightGirl83 Posts: 30
    Options
    I usually go with what others have posted. Greek yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, and a nut butter paired with a fruit or veggie for my snacks.
    If you're not too big on dairy you can use beans or legumes. A bean salad is always nice. A favoruite snack of mine is roasted chick peas. Just toss them in whatever seasonings you like and then put them in the oven for a while.
    Beef jerky is good too, watch out for the sodium though. An MFP friend of mine just gave me a recipe for homemade tofu jerky that looks pretty good.
    Good luck!
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Greek Yogurt has 23 grams of protein!
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Greek Yogurt has 23 grams of protein!
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll swap my natural yoghurt for Greek and try to find ways to enjoy cottage cheese and eggs.
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    beans
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    beans

This.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds gross..but I just tried the Oikos brand Key Lime greek yogurt..and I swear on my right arm..it tastes like lime cheesecake. I'm not even a big fan of greek yogurt, but it was orgasmically good. I only tried it cause I'm sick of traditional fruit flavors and needed something different...so.darn.yummy :)

I did add a packet of stevia tho :)
  • tmstebb
    tmstebb Posts: 13
    Options
    Protein Shake---There is one I like called "Pure Protein"---it is low in carbs & premade
    They sell them at Walmart & Target