Special K - Protein Shakes

Options
Does anyone believe in having protein shakes for breakfast or lunch? Do they actually hold you over? I wanted to try having a protein shake for a meal but I'm alittle skeptical on these things. Thoughts?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I don't replace meals with them, even when trying to lose weight.

They're designed to supplement your nutrition but not to really replace an entire meal in my opinion.

You could have the shake along with a small salad, fruit, etc. But I can't see a 12oz shake holding me over very long.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Funny my hubby and I were just talking about this last night!

I used to eat/drink them all the time when I was like 19, in school, working two jobs, etc. Very busy and trying not to eat lots of fast food and stuff. I really liked them, name brand or generic it didn't matter. They seemed to work for a few hours but they are low calorie so it keeps you eating every 3 hours or so but that's what they are designed for. I recently bought some (slim fast low carb and special k) for a road trip even though I can't have dairy because I thought "a little won't hurt." Well I was wrong and I've been having headaches and feeling like crap, face broken out and lots of fun stuff. Anywho I gave them to my hubby to drink before he works out and he likes them. Light enough not to ruin his workout but enough to fuel him through. I just didn't want to waste them but he's thinking about buying more!
  • dbattles0182
    Options
    I didn't think about using them before I work out. That's not a bad idea. I dont see how anybody could use a shake to replace a meal. I know there are all kind of diets out there but having a shake to replace a meal. NO WAY! I had my shake 2 hours ago and I'm alittle hungry. The shake was very good but someone told me i should have a shake and some fruit with it if I'm drinking it in the morning. I also like your idea of having a protein shake with a small salad. I need more protein in my life to keep me full.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd definiately try it with a salad then.
    Veggies are very filling and won't run your calories up too high for the day. Stick with something clean for a dressing though, like olive oil as opposed to ranch.
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    i do protein shakes but not special k....
    i eat breakfast, plenty of protein like eggs
    lunch: anything with portion control,
    afternoon snack: fruit or a sweet
    Dinner : Shakeology Protien Shake!
    gives me the right kind of protein an i need it becuase i work out in the evenings...
    :)
  • cheryladamseve
    cheryladamseve Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking one at night and about an hour later I eat a 100 cal. popcorn ,I find it keeps me for having that full bloated feeling at bed time. I eat a good breakfast and a good lunch I also make sure I get what I need in ; in a day, it just works for me.
  • pilk32
    pilk32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a couple different kinds of Protien shakes. These ones are good. If you are really forcing yourself to have 5 small meals a day, these are a good replacement for one or two of those "meals". Don't stick to it being a true "meal" though if you are really hungry. Listen to your body. If you need a small snack bar or something, eat that too. Like I have the Special K 90 Calorie Strawberry bar with them and it usually holds me over for a few hours till the next meal.
  • dbattles0182
    Options
    So it sounds like to me a heavier breakfast is a better way to do it and a lighter dinner. That's going to be tough but different for me. I dont think my body could handle just having a shake.
  • hizwyfe
    hizwyfe Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started my journey three days ago and replaced my breaksfast with Special K shakes after workouts and I'm already down 3.8 pounds in three days. I stay under my calorie goal.