DETOXING?? Lemonade Diet?

Hi I'm looking for a good cleanse to get me started on health journey> Any suggestions..I was going to do the lemonade-cayenne any experience with that

Replies

• sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Don't waste your time with a so called "detox". Drink plenty of water, exercise, and for god's sake (and your own), eat real food.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Hi I'm looking for a good cleanse to get me started on health journey> Any suggestions..I was going to do the lemonade-cayenne any experience with that

There's no need to cleanse or detox. Your liver and kidneys will cleanse what they can but drinking lemonade or blending veggies will not cleanse anything. Might make you poop.

The best thing you can do to get started on your health journey is to start learning about nutrition, strive to eat "mostly" nutrient dense and whole foods, and start exercising.

You don't need to reach for gimmicks or boosts or anything else.
  • Yeah don't bother...yes it will "clean" you out but so will a laxative...because all it does is give you the "hot poops" as my husband would call it:) sorry if that's tmi for you but its true...it just makes you poop this is all.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean meat and plenty of water. Your liver and kidneys will do the cleansing. :flowerforyou:
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member

There's no need to cleanse or detox. Your liver and kidneys will cleanse what they can but drinking lemonade or blending veggies will not cleanse anything. Might make you poop.

The best thing you can do to get started on your health journey is to start learning about nutrition, strive to eat "mostly" nutrient dense and whole foods, and start exercising.

You don't need to reach for gimmicks or boosts or anything else.

this^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    Lol, the detoxing thing always makes me chuckle. Every time I hear of it, I get a picture flash of people sitting in a drunk tank of a jail, but this jail cell is for overweight people.....................

Don't waste your time. Just start the eating change now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    I wouldn't bother. Just drink lots of water and eat well!
  • Divabonita88
    Divabonita88 Posts: 63 Member
    thanks everyone
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    A friend of mine suggested this book to me:

http://www.amazon.com/7-Day-Detox-Miracle-Effective-Enhancing/dp/0761514228

It's actually a very interesting read and the actual 7 day detox isn't easy but I did feel great afterwards. That being said...I haven't done it since...which was about 5 years ago :/
  • literarylin
    literarylin Posts: 30
    I did a cleanse recently - I purchased it in a health food store. It was called the Wild Rose D-Tox. You are still able to eat... just no dairy, sugar or wheat. I recommend it as I was feeling a bit sluggish and it got me eating clean. The cayenne - lemon one - iss troublesome for me because you are fasting... which I don't think is healthy. Anyone I know who has done it has gained the weight back...
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Lol, the detoxing thing always makes me chuckle. Every time I hear of it, I get a picture flash of people sitting in a drunk tank of a jail, but this jail cell is for overweight people.....................

Don't waste your time. Just start the eating change now.

Exactly! Your body cleans out on a routine basis. As you eat healthier food all the garbage goes out of your body in many ways. You liver and kidneys detox what we eat on a regular basis. The date you started shows on post as May 2011 not 2012 though....error?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Dont' do it.
    Detoxes are ridiculous and unneeded.

If you want to clean things up, focus on fruits and veggies for a week with a minimum of a gallon of water per day.

starving yourself and drinking lemonade won't help.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member

If you are seeking a cleanse due to the build up our liver has happen from over processed foods (before we know better) Milk Thistle works great for that. I would go to a health store where they sell natural products over artificial/processed products. If you have always ate well and never drink alcohol then you shouldn't have to worry about a cleanse per say for your liver. However, I personally believe a cleanse every quarter is a good thing for the body to have. Helps to clear out the junk that we inhale, eat, drink etc... No matter how healthy we try to be, there is always outside factors that can cause pollutants in our cells. ALWAYS go for the whole food natural cleanses though, stay away from the latest fade cleanses.
  • Sidesteal
    No matter how healthy we try to be, there is always outside factors that can cause pollutants in our cells.

Just so that I don't misinform other people, can you tell me the names of some of the pollutants that build up, that are removed with a detox or cleanse?

Thanks!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    As other's have said, no need for a detox. Just jump right into your new lifestyle!

The only thing I could understand "detoxing" from, would be drugs or alcohol. If these don't apply to you, then don't worry about it =)
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I personally do not see anything wrong with detoxing...

People detoxing isn't just for the body, it's also for the mine....
    Ever ran a marathon or done something like fast for a political or humanity issue?

some people detox as a way of cleansing mind, body and soul...

If you want to Detox OP...Do it...Just do your research on whatever someone suggests...

I done the Salt Water Flush...and I think it was great...gross...but I felt so much better afterwards.
  • Mercenary1914

If you are seeking a cleanse due to the build up our liver has happen from over processed foods (before we know better) Milk Thistle works great for that. I would go to a health store where they sell natural products over artificial/processed products. If you have always ate well and never drink alcohol then you shouldn't have to worry about a cleanse per say for your liver. However, I personally believe a cleanse every quarter is a good thing for the body to have. Helps to clear out the junk that we inhale, eat, drink etc... No matter how healthy we try to be, there is always outside factors that can cause pollutants in our cells. ALWAYS go for the whole food natural cleanses though, stay away from the latest fade cleanses.

Yea...Milk Thistle is great...I use this!
  • Sidesteal

Ever ran a marathon or done something like fast for a political or humanity issue?

If you want to Detox OP...Do it...Just do your research on whatever someone suggests...

I done the Salt Water Flush...and I think it was great...gross...but I felt so much better afterwards.

I have a friend who does juice fasting for religious/spiritual reasons. I have no issues with it even though I wouldn't do it myself.

The issue here (on MFP) is that the overwhelming majority of people who are trying to fast are doing so under the misguided belief that it is necessary to remove toxins AND/OR that it is a good way to "jumpstart" their weight-loss.

There's a massive difference between the physiological and spiritual/mental reasons for "juice fasting" and I think there's great value in making this distinction.
  • Mercenary1914

I have a friend who does juice fasting for religious/spiritual reasons. I have no issues with it even though I wouldn't do it myself.

The issue here (on MFP) is that the overwhelming majority of people who are trying to fast are doing so under the misguided belief that it is necessary to remove toxins AND/OR that it is a good way to "jumpstart" their weight-loss.

There's a massive difference between the physiological and spiritual/mental reasons for "juice fasting" and I think there's great value in making this distinction.

No doubt...you are right as hell...I think when someone asks about it...we should ask what their reason is...My best friend did the All fruits and Veggie Diet for 30 days as a way to prove to herself she can accomplish somehting hard...

Man you should have seen the smile and enthusiasm on her face...She was very pround of how she did something extremely hard...And it did jump start her weight loss though...She lost a lot of weight and toned out, but could use some more muscle on her...so after her detox she went on a very clean diet and looks amazing.....

I just personally feel as long as they research, be reasonable with their goal, and do it with responsibility...Go for it!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    1) Ignore the people saying that it isn't worth your time. IT IS!!!! I 100% believe in detoxing. It is giving your liver a resting period for it to recover from all the processed stuff we eat day to day.

2) I wouldn't do the lemonade cleanse. I would look into doing a juice fast. In my opinion, it is much healthier than drinking a bunth of lemonade because you are getting the necessary nutrition that your body needs from the fruit and veggies. Also, you lose weight in a healthy way :smile: I got into juicer from a documentary I watched. The site gives you details about "rebooting" which is what they call the fast.

Here is a site if you are interested
    > www.jointhereboot.com/index.php?lang=en

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Wishing you the best of luck :flowerforyou: