Introduction - Starting 1200 cal per day - I NEED HELP

Options
willowcb
willowcb Posts: 20 Member
Hello all!
I am about to throw in the towel. I am SO SICK of being fat.

I'm 54 and between my age and quitting smoking several years ago, I need to lose a good 50 pounds. I have tried just about everything and I'm just not sticking to it long enough to get results.

I'm hoping this site, along with the daily support and tools found here will make that difference I need.

Hoping to find some friends here also that are sharing the same issues as myself.

Best wishes to EVERYONE as they strive for their goals.

Willow

Replies

• mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im 53 also was giving up UNTIL I found this site. You will be amazed at the support on here :) I have made a few friends on here and I think together we can pull eachother thru this and instead of throwing in the towel, we will be able to lay on one someday at the beach :)
  • jealous_loser
    jealous_loser Posts: 395
    Options
    Me too. I am only 23, but I was having issues with losing some weight, until this site.

Just be honest about what you are doing. Don't eat under 1200 calories (that was one of my problems).

I was trying to lose for about 3 months with no movement. I have been on this site for a month and I have lost 7 pounds already. This is the easiest site ever. I love it.

YOU CAN DO IT.
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    good job on losing
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds in 2007 when I was 53 by using this site's tools.

My best advice would be:

1. Make small changes. You won't be able to overhaul your entire life in one week. This week, focus on logging Every Single Bite & Everything You Drink. Drink a lot of water. Watch your Food Diary and learn. If you try to stick with 1200 and exercise every day, you may get overwhelmed at all the changes you have to make. There are a lot of changes. You will not be perfect. Relax. Learn. Eat the calories you earn from exercise.

2. Spend time in the Forums learning. There are sticky posts at the top of the General section. Read them. They have this in front of them sticky.png

3. Go to WebMD, MayoClinic, or any other reputable site and learn about weight loss. Not from a diet site or quick-fix site, but a medical based site.
  • jenc555
    jenc555 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Focus on protein! You can do it!
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome Willow :happy: :flowerforyou:
    I too quit smoking....gave it up a little over a year ago :bigsmile: best decision I ever made!!! I did gain a few pounds but have really watched and worked to prevent gaining A LOT :wink: I still have a lot of wt to lose and it's a daily struggle for me :angry: but at least I try ever day to make a conscious effort to eat better and exercise.
    Good luck to you and your healthy lifestyle journey :flowerforyou:
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :happy:
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seems low to me. I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds and I'm at about 1400 unless I exercise then I eat more. If you follow what this site sets as your calorie and read all the information you can gather in this forum you'll be successful. I've done lots of programs before and haven't lost so I understand your frustration. The most important part is sticking with it, you can do it! Believe in yourself. Good luck
  • sadiejean34
    Options
    Don't give up - my life has been a total roller coaster of ups and downs. The older I get, the harder it is. I am on a mission to drop 35 lbs. We can do it together. I am down 3 lbs. Chin up girl!
  • ShariSmith29
    Options
    I am 29 years Old and need help losing weight I haven't worked out
    Because of my stupid period , need help keeping weight off when
    I have cycle , I eat healthy and do light exercise during my
    Cycle I don't want to gain water weight when
    I have my cycle . I want to lose 100lbs and
    Keep it off I want to stop my period all together
    So I can work out all the time and not have to
    Worry about it . I am not getting married anytime
    Soon so I feel like I don't need it. I eat healthy and drink water while
    I have my period and try not to eat as much food.
  • gcaroll78
    gcaroll78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not sure if you know or not but you can access this site with the myfitnesspal app. It really has helped me keep on track with things when I am out and about. As soon as I eat something I put it straight in. This site/app has really helped me get things started and I am sure it will you.
  • morgan9
    morgan9 Posts: 22
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! I am working on that right now (again) too.

I can't tell you what is going to work for you, but I can say that tracking what you eat, even if it ends up over MFP's suggested calorie count, will help you realize what foods are working for or against you and your chances are higher for getting to (and maintaining) a healthy weight. For sure, though, be honest with yourself and the tracker, however dismal the day. Also, if time is available, I would recommend keeping a blog of your progress; even adding comments about your day (mood, stress) in the food or exercise "additional info" might be a good way to help see the whole picture.

Don't forget to log the good about you and your day too!!

Cheers!
  • 2012newme
    2012newme Posts: 7
    Options
    I keep trying to stick to 1200 cals but it is really hard. I am 55 and have been trying to lose 40lbs for last 2 years, really fed up with being fat and frumpy.

If I put in my weight and height on here it states I should have 1200 calories a day to lose 1½-2lbs per week which is what I would like to achieve.

Weekends are my downfall, finish work and look forward to a few glasses of wine, trying not to this weekend, will dash past the wines in supermarket tonight!

Good luck everyone. Add me as a friend I dont mind.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Anyone reading this can feel free to add me. I recently noticed I've been on MFP for over 75 days and working on weight loss since December. At first, I did it on my own because I needed to prove it to myself and know that I could do it. Then I found all of these great support message boards and dove in head first. The support here is AWESOME! (I'm addicted) I also have a Fitbit device that tracks my steps which integrates into MFP. I've lost a little over 30 lbs and am looking to lose another 60.

Every day I remember this is a journey and not a destination. We didn't get to where we are today overnight and we can't make the change overnight. I can do this and so can you!

Good luck on your journey.
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    If you also start making changes in what you eat (swapping that chocolate bar for a granola bar, ice cream for greek yogurt, ect) you will find it easier to come in at your goal. Right now, I have a hard time meeting a 1480 goal, because I have made a lot of switches in my snacks/meals. You can do it!!
  • lustrowaregirl
    Options
    sounds a bit low..but make sure grams of protien are higher than carba in most meals.....i can relate with all of you. get OCD about tracking with fitnesspal for a few days and then it becomes a habit. use it on our smart phone. its making a huge difference for me.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi Willow, I'm kinda new to this too, one month, and am also on 1200 cal plan. From my own experience oatmeal in the morning is your best friend. If I didn't eat that I found that I was starving all day. Portion control also. High five on quitting smoking, I no longer smoke either and this website helped me stay focused and on track towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You have come to the right place.

I too have 1200 as my calorie allowance, but my "trick" is to work out so that I can then eat more! Trust me that works every morning when I have trouble getting out of bed. Those extra calories to are is what keeps me heading out that door to the gym!
    Good luck with your journey
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 56; you can add me.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi there - welcome to MFP. I am going on 48 and I was trying to do 1200 and did not lose a thing. I would really check out the forums on finding your BMR and your TDEE and making sure you balance your eating and exercise (and macro levels). It has made a huge difference for me. Feel free to friend me if you want I enjoy the interaction with new friends with the same goals. My goal is to look smoking hot on my 50th birthday :) And to enjoy myself while getting there. I think I am entering the menopausal aspect of my life which makes things more difficult too but I am confident I will get to my goal. Good luck and, again, welcome!
  • willowcb
    willowcb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone:) Day one and stayed pretty close to my calorie limit. Appreciate all your comments and help:0
    Willow