Is this normal?

Options
Boopa
Boopa Posts: 45 Member
I started p90x on wednesday and while I check the scale daily(it does bmi/body fat%) I have gained 4lbs. I feel I am eating ok and drinking enough, what gives? I have a lot of body fat as I am 4 1/2 months pp and never quite lost any of the body fat from my previous pregnancies, I am breastfeeding as well. Any thoughts? I am not feeling discouraged yet but curious as to why.

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to gain water weight when starting an intense program like P90X. You are challenging your muscles, so they respond by swelling in order to take in the things they need to repair themselves. For me, this initial gain usually lasts about 2 weeks after changing/ upping my exercise. I usually, but not always, have some soreness in addition to the water weight gain.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First off, don't weight daily. Pick one day a week and weigh at the same time of day on that day. My day was Thursday and I weighed in the morning right after I woke up. Second, it's hard to give you any advice when your food diary is closed. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing daily.
  • ag2ut
    ag2ut Posts: 20
    Options
    As pp said, starting an intense program can cause your body to hold on to some water and weight. Many people don't see pounds lost until 2 weeks in. There's nothing "wrong" with weighing daily, unless you get discouraged or frustrated when your weight goes up and down. If you can live with that reality, by all means, weigh yourself as often as your heart desires. For many people it helps to only weigh yourself once a week, or once a month. I would also recommend taking measurements weekly or monthly and pictures monthly so that you can see other changes and track your progress. I'm in my last weeks of P90X - it's a great program and it works if you work with it. Good luck!
  • Boopa
    Boopa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because of habit, I only input once a week or so. I did 3 weeks of p90x in late 2010 and lost 17inches but the scale didn't go up it just didn't move :). This time I was weirded out because the scale went up. Thanks for the input, I will make my diary more open as its only open to friends currently.