Ebooks vs. Real Books

Options

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I looooove my Kindle. Absolutely love it. I read All. The. Time. My books were taking up sooooo much space in our house (and I HATE to give away books, even onces that I don't like!) that I finally bought the Kindle. I was skeptical at first, but love it. When I really love a book, I'll go out and buy a copy of it. My husband just recently bought a Kindle for the same reason. He hasn't said one way or the other if he likes his yet. I still don't think e-readers will ever take the place completely of books, though. Sure, e-readers are easy, but there will always be people who like the book in their hands. And schools that rely on books. And libraries that won't replace all of their books with e-books. I'd hate to imagine a world with ONLY e-books...
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Ebooks are easier for me cause I have them on my phone and can read during breaks, lunch or while waiting at dr. etc. Not as bulky as real books and the pages don't turn from the wind. And the power topic is not an issue if you are responsible enough to charge it.
  • KMS5308
    KMS5308 Posts: 9
    Options
    I love real books. Especially when I would go to a yard sale and get the for $.10. But for Christmas I got a Nook Color and I am in LOVE! I read a lot. I love to read. And if we go away some where I have all of my books in my hands. And I can also use it like a laptop for the internet and games and such :)
  • savetheteaboy
    savetheteaboy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm like most people here I love my kindle but nothing beats the feel of a real book that being said it's much nicer to read longer books on my kindle as it's easier to hold and I can just get comfy reading it plus I'm going off to uni this september and as much as I'd love to take all my books they would fill the car so having a kindle means that I can take my favourite books with me :D Of course when it comes to textbooks I prefer the hard copies as it makes scanning easier.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    for tech books that i use for reference, ebooks win. for novels, i greatly prefer dead trees.
  • hugthefish
    hugthefish Posts: 33
    Options
    People have been using books since the Library of Alexandria over 2000 years ago (though those were papyrus scrolls, not books, but still paper hard copies). Unlike all the other transient technology which has only been around for a century at the most (I'm talking mostly music CD's and stuff like that, I guess). Books will never be completely obsolete. What would we do with all of the books that already exist? Burn them? No, I don't think so. Ebooks are nice for traveling, and convenient in other small ways, but real books with win out in the end. After all, a real book never runs out of battery. :)
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say that an e-reader doesn't work well for reference material or magazines but for everything else - I just LOVE my Kindle.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I like both, but I'm sad and love the smell of new and old books and you don't get that with the Kindle :-)
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love my Nook tablet! Since college I've been a library girl rather than a book-buying girl, but I'm pretty bad about returning them on time (I consider it to be my charitable contribution to the library...heh). I love that I can dl books from the library and after 2 weeks they simply disappear! I wish there were a little more selection, but there are still tons of things I haven't read that ARE available so it's not a big deal. Sooner or later the libraries and publishers will come up with a workable model.

I also love it for using on the treadmill. Bump up the font size a bit, connect to Pandora, and I'm good for an hour+ :)
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Im a bit of both .. Ill get the ebook copy of the book from whatever outlet offers the cheapest price. Read the book and if I like it ill go out and drop the $30-50 for the hard cover physcial book .. Just something about owning the "real deal" and seeing a FULL bookshelf is kinda comforting.. Technology can / does and WILL change .. What happens if the e-readers go the way of the CD and the floppy disk .. Physical books have no technological limitations and dont go obsolete and will STILL be on my bookshelf long after my Nook has died
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am a tech geek but I still like real books for 2 reasons:

1. Cost: I mostly buy used books but even the new books I buy tend to be less than the typical 9.99 that e-books cost.

2. Ownership: When I buy a book and read it, I can then decide to keep it, donate it, or sell it. When you buy an e-book, you can keep it as long as the vendor lets you. You don't own the book. You just bought the ability to read the book for a time period of someone else's choosing. There have already been well publicized incidents of Amazon or other vendors taking books off of users' e-reader that they paid for. You have no hope of donating or selling the book at any time.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I love ebooks. I will never buy another fiction book that isn't an ebook. It is so easy to carry all the books you want for an entire vacation. It is so nice not to have hundreds (or thousands) of books all over the house. Also, with arthritis in my hands, it is so much easier to hold and turn the pages in an ebook. I will still keep my "real" reference books and cook books though.

I like having hundreds of books in my house. I can't imagine a home without them.

me too :) cozies it up somehow
  • CStone17
    CStone17 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm going to chime in for the middle ground, like many others.

My Kindle is wonderful. I actually got it as a gift for high school graduation because I have chronic pain that was very severe up until a year ago (when I was 19 and medication number 25 brought some relief, which is why I'm even on MFP), so my book-loving tendencies would literally cause me pain. Holding big books hurt, carrying books hurt... Ugh. It is the Kindle DX (textbook-size) because my mom realized that the lighter weight would be a blessing for college.

I still use the Kindle for plenty, particularly fiction and classics, since the classics are free. I avoid everything that is priced similar to a physical copy. But the collections! They might be unwieldy to read sometimes, but I have a collection of Greek mythology with loads of translations of each, 117k locations (about a tenth the length of the New Oxford American Dictionary), and it cost me something like three dollars. I will very literally never lack something to read when I have this with me.

But right now I'm finishing up "Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman" in hardcover. The book is physically beautiful (the font is gorgeous, the paper feels lovely, and I do recommend it for the content for anyone interested) and something I will enjoy having on my shelves forever. I'm not going to buy many new paperbacks henceforth, but I'll probably keep buying used ones and new or used hardcovers. I just think the printing industry will have to work on the aesthetic quality of everything they produce now, because that's going to be a major factor in their continued success. No more shoddily-bound books for me! I never buy something unless I can take pleasure in owning it.
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love my kindle! Had it for 3 years and read from it every day. Only have to charge once every 2-3 months. Love it.

But I still love my books too. If I can buy the book cheaper than the ebook, I will buy the book.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Real Books read in the last year-0
    Ebooks read in the last year- 50+

I find the Ebooks so much easier for some reason. I don't have a 3 year old screaming for an overpriced barnes and noble stuffed and animal everytime we go to the book store. I still buy my son real books and will continue to do so. He has his own fire that he likes to play around on.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I hated the idea of ebooks until someone on the underground station was reading one from a kindle and I had a little peek. I thought it would feel like reading from a computer screen but it simulates a real book quite well.

I use to buy a lot of novels but end up donating them all to charity as I don't have the space to shelve them and I never re-read them again. I go to the library a lot to borrow books now but it be nice to not think about the due back date. I am seriously thinking of getting myself one! However, reference books I would just buy real books for it.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend got me a kindle fire for valentines day. I use it to play games and get on the web but thats about it. I collect books so when it comes to reading I like old fashion books. I tried reading one on the kindle and it just wasen't the same.
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love to read and I used to be a die hard real book fan. I love the feel of a book in your hands and the pretty covers. I held out for a long time, but I was running out of room to put all my books, so I gave in and got a Kindle Fire. I have to admit, I really like the ease of it. I like not having to drive to the book store or wait for a book to be shipped, access to more books since there is a whole world of books only available in e-format, and you can have your entire library with you at all times. I also really like that I can just highlight a word and look it up if I don't know the definition because it drives me crazy if I don't know what something means. There are a few downsides like dead batteries and sunlight, etc. I do still, however, buy my favorites in paper copies.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Kindle.

Firstly, while this may sound obvious, an ebook reader fixes the few design flaws a book has - its light, portable, and you can hold it in one hand easily *and* turn the page.

Don't underestimate the value of that for someone that spends a considerable time on the London Underground, pushed up against other commuters.

Also, you can download samples. You can be anywhere, at any time, and read the first chapter of any book to see if you fancy buying it. Whoever thought up this marketing strategy is a genius. I have bought about twice the amount of books since having this bad boy.

The only drawback is a)
    ...The only problem I have with e-readers is using them for reference materials. There is nothing faster than flipping through a book scanning for the information you need.

and b) remembering to charge it. Books don't run out of battery power...
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can't get into e-books, something about the feel and smell of paper really intrigues me, it's part of the reading process to me. Everyone who uses e-books are really impressed but I hope that books will survive and continue to be printed, though in reality, it is only a matter of time before printing is done away with, I guess I won't read anymore :-(