shoulder press

Options
Ok, I am not a gym person, simply because of my work schedule and my daughter
I work out at home and follow a variety of Jillian Michaels dvds
She does a lot of compound movents including shoulder presses with squats, no problem, I love them

HOWEVER, does anyone have any theories as to WHY I am having more discomfort in my SHOULDERS when I'm in a STATIC squat while doing shoulder presses??
Maybe I'm focusing too much on holding a squat position and not enough on my form but wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has a theory that might help

Replies

• Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get that way too! Cant wait to see if anyone has any ideas!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You are probably tightening up your shoulders while you are holding your squat.

Try to keep your shoulders away from your ears. Keep them down and back.
  • TZE731
    TZE731 Posts: 18
    Options
    In that position you will have more strain on your shoulders. It may help if you use less weight. If you are already using a light weight or no weights, do not squat down as far.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's probably a bit of overload for your brain to be in a squat position along with shoulder pressing.
    definiately a flaw in the dvd program, i don't really think beginners should be doing movements like that.

You can end up with shoulder injuries if you aren't keeping your scapula retracted while pressing overhead.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Make sure the weight isn't resting on bone at the top. "shrug up" at the top of the movement. Otherwise you can put pressure on your nerve.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! :smile:
    Wouldn't say I'm a beginner exactly....but the past couple months have been when I've really been trying to increase the weights I use. Still, not heavy weights and I'm getting to a point where I think I'll eventually check into a gym but I want to lift heavier