DETOXING?? Lemonade Diet?

2»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    1) Ignore the people saying that it isn't worth your time. IT IS!!!!

Can you please name 1 toxin that builds up in your system that will be cleansed by drinking juices?
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47

Can you please name 1 toxin that builds up in your system that will be cleansed by drinking juices?

You can ask this question over and over again, as many times as you'd like, and you won't get a response.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Mexican food always cleanses me out...
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member

It isn't so much 'toxins' per say, it is about letting giving your liver and colon time to 'clean' and 'rest' from all the artificial junk that we have taken in overtime. Also, a 'toxin' is referring to any artificial chemicals that our body can not expel on its own and has been accumulating overtime (things such as aspartame). Juicing also provides key enzymes that add in digestion and can help retrain yourself to enjoy fruits and veggies more :smile:

Also, you body just plain needs fruits and veggies and it can absorb the nutrients from them more effectively in juice form.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Just eat clean.

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, brown rice, fish, etc. Drink lots of water.

Do not resort to such desperate measures. You say, "oh, I just want to detox" but really, you just want a miracle. Hard work really does pay off.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I did a cleanse recently - I purchased it in a health food store. It was called the Wild Rose D-Tox. You are still able to eat... just no dairy, sugar or wheat. I recommend it as I was feeling a bit sluggish and it got me eating clean. The cayenne - lemon one - iss troublesome for me because you are fasting... which I don't think is healthy. Anyone I know who has done it has gained the weight back...

Whether there are any health benefits at all or not, I see no harm to this type of cleansing. The absolute worst thing they'll do is cost you a little money.

It's the ones that are combined with fasting and drugs or tailored foods to mask the symptoms of fasting that scare the willies out of me.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Bump for later <3
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    This topic always makes me giggle.
    No need to "detox" we have organs for that.

You know on the lemonade diet you have to drink a laxative tea at night, and then do a "salt water flush" in the morning. Mmm quart of salt water.

What does that do? Gives you the screaming poops. Ever day of it.

I'm not willing to give up control of my butt to shed a few pounds.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member

You know on the lemonade diet you have to drink a laxative tea at night, and then do a "salt water flush" in the morning. Mmm quart of salt water.

This...Not just screaming poops involuntary Projectile poops. Just eat healthy food
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

this.

This is why I hate food movies. "fat sick and nearly dead" makes people thing they need to stop eating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    Hi I'm looking for a good cleanse to get me started on health journey> Any suggestions..I was going to do the lemonade-cayenne any experience with that

If you are seeking a cleanse due to the build up our liver has happen from over processed foods (before we know better) Milk Thistle works great for that. I would go to a health store where they sell natural products over artificial/processed products. If you have always ate well and never drink alcohol then you shouldn't have to worry about a cleanse per say for your liver. However, I personally believe a cleanse every quarter is a good thing for the body to have. Helps to clear out the junk that we inhale, eat, drink etc... No matter how healthy we try to be, there is always outside factors that can cause pollutants in our cells. ALWAYS go for the whole food natural cleanses though, stay away from the latest fade cleanses.
    Love to see an actual clinical study that supports this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff

It isn't so much 'toxins' per say, it is about letting giving your liver and colon time to 'clean' and 'rest' from all the artificial junk that we have taken in overtime. Also, a 'toxin' is referring to any artificial chemicals that our body can not expel on its own and has been accumulating overtime (things such as aspartame). Juicing also provides key enzymes that add in digestion and can help retrain yourself to enjoy fruits and veggies more :smile:

Also, you body just plain needs fruits and veggies and it can absorb the nutrients from them more effectively in juice form.
    When people aren't really knowledgeable they will spew out misinformation. What is aspartame's ingredients? Phenylalaine and aspartic acid.
    Soy, fish and asparagus are HIGH in aspartic acid. Even higher than in diet soda.
    All meat products contain phenylalaine in a higher dose than diet soda. Even breast milk has it.

Please really do some research from peer reviewed clinical studies and not articles, pseuoscience, or anecdotal evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArtGeek22

When people aren't really knowledgeable they will spew out misinformation. What is aspartame's ingredients? Phenylalaine and aspartic acid.
    Soy, fish and asparagus are HIGH in aspartic acid. Even higher than in diet soda.
    All meat products contain phenylalaine in a higher dose than diet soda. Even breast milk has it.

Please really do some research from peer reviewed clinical studies and not articles, pseuoscience, or anecdotal evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

1) I was trying to give an example of a chemical that has been heavily processed and added to food. I was not refering to things that already had it in it, I was refering to the processed sweetener.

2) I was trying to give pros to juicing and you do not need to slam me for trying to explain it to the best I could.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    I tried it and by the end of the day I was so weak I couldn't pick myself up off the floor. My stomach built up so much acid that I threw up for two days straight. :sick:

You'll spend a LOT, and I mean a LOT of time in the bathroom.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Funny, my colon "cleans" itself several times a day and the only time my liver will rest is when I die. Pseudo-scientific nonsense.

What's your source for the aspartame reference? Any clinical trials?
  • ninerbuff
    1) I was trying to give an example of a chemical that has been heavily processed and added to food. I was not refering to things that already had it in it, I was refering to the processed sweetener.
    You do realize that any food is broken down to it's simplest form regardless of how it's put together? Whether processed or not, the "final" absorption of any "chemical" (including food) is in it's simplest form. Saying aspartame is a "toxin" would be relaying false information since it's not.
    2) I was trying to give pros to juicing and you do not need to slam me for trying to explain it to the best I could.
    I didn't slam juicing, I slammed the misinformation you gave about "detoxing".

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArtGeek22

Funny, my colon "cleans" itself several times a day and the only time my liver will rest is when I die. Pseudo-scientific nonsense.

What's your source for the aspartame reference? Any clinical trials?

I was just trying to give an example of a artificial sweetner. That is a true statement about the organs, but it is not nonsense. Sorry for the confusion.
  • ArtGeek22
    You do realize that any food is broken down to it's simplest form regardless of how it's put together? Whether processed or not, the "final" absorption of any "chemical" (including food) is in it's simplest form. Saying aspartame is a "toxin" would be relaying false information since it's not.
    I didn't slam juicing, I slammed the misinformation you gave about "detoxing".

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for clarifying. At least I go away with a little more info :smile:

Still completely in support of juicing, detoxing, and fasting though because my father lost 20+ pounds juice fast and I lost 5 pounds doing a modified juice fast. Also, we both kept it off and we didn't gain it all back in 3 days of going back to normal food contrary to common belief.
  • ninerbuff
    Thank you for clarifying. At least I go away with a little more info :smile: Still completely in support of juicing, detoxing, and fasting though.
    I support fasting since I do it (intermittent fasting). It's good to get info. I've even gotten great info on running here that I now use with clients who are considering running for fitness. Keep learning...........it only makes you better.:flowerforyou:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    I personally do not see anything wrong with detoxing...

People detoxing isn't just for the body, it's also for the mine....
    Ever ran a marathon or done something like fast for a political or humanity issue?

some people detox as a way of cleansing mind, body and soul...

If you want to Detox OP...Do it...Just do your research on whatever someone suggests...

I done the Salt Water Flush...and I think it was great...gross...but I felt so much better afterwards.

I have a friend who does juice fasting for religious/spiritual reasons. I have no issues with it even though I wouldn't do it myself.

The issue here (on MFP) is that the overwhelming majority of people who are trying to fast are doing so under the misguided belief that it is necessary to remove toxins AND/OR that it is a good way to "jumpstart" their weight-loss.

There's a massive difference between the physiological and spiritual/mental reasons for "juice fasting" and I think there's great value in making this distinction.

No doubt...you are right as hell...I think when someone asks about it...we should ask what their reason is...My best friend did the All fruits and Veggie Diet for 30 days as a way to prove to herself she can accomplish somehting hard...

Man you should have seen the smile and enthusiasm on her face...She was very pround of how she did something extremely hard...And it did jump start her weight loss though...She lost a lot of weight and toned out, but could use some more muscle on her...so after her detox she went on a very clean diet and looks amazing.....

I just personally feel as long as they research, be reasonable with their goal, and do it with responsibility...Go for it!

This. Very well said by all. :smile: