Arizona Vege

Options
hi Im new to this site, it is awesome! I want to loss 20#. I do yoga faithfully, but not rigorously enough often enough to stay slim. Also Iv pickup a lot of bad eating habits over the last 6 months. I recently became totall vege a few months ago, with minor slips. I used to be mostly vege but no red meat. I know that my weight gain has been due to sugar sugar sugar. I started out not eating meat to lose weight, but found if I eat too much junk im gonna get fat anyhow. Now Im still not eating meat because I dont think its a morally ethica thing to do, for the environment. Dont get me wrong, Im not a bunny hugger, I just think America eats waaay too much meat, and its horrible for our heath and the environment. Also Im thinking of giving up cheese and butter because the dair industry is aweful too. I think animals should have the right to roam and forage for themselves before becoming our dinner, and not spend thier lifetime in a pen/cage to provide us protien. Yes Im sure that the current system is more economocy efficient, but Im boycotting it cause I dont think its right. Especially with all the poorer peoples in the world who dont have enough to eat and really do need that protein. Anyhow I havent figured out how Im going to save the world obviously, I just wanna lose weight and Im here becaue Im not sure Im getting proper nutrition. I think I eat way to much carbs and not enough protein, but I sure get my fiber!:laugh:

Replies

• desertyogi
    Options
    hi Im new to this site, it is awesome! I want to loss 20#. I do yoga faithfully, but not rigorously enough often enough to stay slim. Also Iv pickup a lot of bad eating habits over the last 6 months. I recently became totall vege a few months ago, with minor slips. I used to be mostly vege but no red meat. I know that my weight gain has been due to sugar sugar sugar. I started out not eating meat to lose weight, but found if I eat too much junk im gonna get fat anyhow. Now Im still not eating meat because I dont think its a morally ethica thing to do, for the environment. Dont get me wrong, Im not a bunny hugger, I just think America eats waaay too much meat, and its horrible for our heath and the environment. Also Im thinking of giving up cheese and butter because the dair industry is aweful too. I think animals should have the right to roam and forage for themselves before becoming our dinner, and not spend thier lifetime in a pen/cage to provide us protien. Yes Im sure that the current system is more economocy efficient, but Im boycotting it cause I dont think its right. Especially with all the poorer peoples in the world who dont have enough to eat and really do need that protein. Anyhow I havent figured out how Im going to save the world obviously, I just wanna lose weight and Im here becaue Im not sure Im getting proper nutrition. I think I eat way to much carbs and not enough protein, but I sure get my fiber!:laugh:
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I love Yoga too...right now I'm working, via DVD, with Rainbeau Mars...I enjoy her lead.
  • desertyogi
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. Im going to look into that dvd. I do the 1/2 hr yoga programs on PBS in the morning, and I do a class once a week. Wish I could do more. Im insired by your profile to try bellydancing!:flowerforyou:
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi Deseret yogi, I am also a faithful yoga practitioner and teacher. I am in the vinyasa style which as you know is basically power yoga. I am also vegetarian but I eat fish and eggs. Peshco,lacto ovo-vegetarian is the right term I think? The advice I have is if you eat lots of veggies the simple carbs like bread will begin to be less necissary, plus barley, brown rice and oatmeal are my new best friends. The true secret is lentils!!! High in protein, and fiber. They are easy to cook in a rice cooker, and 1oz is 33 cal. I also have been stuggling with a few extra pounds, I moved to the sub burbs and when i lived in the city I was walking so much all I needed was yoga, not true in the burbs. I find spinning classes very complimentary to my practice, also the eliptical with a bit of weights, this has kept me in great cardio shape but also maintaining my flexiblility so my practice doesn't suffer. Have fun.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi...most bellydancers use yoga to warmup and cooldown...I found Rainbeau's 4 Disc DVD set on sale at: www.naturaljourneys.cc...Hope you enjoy bellydance...most women find they love it!
  • desertyogi
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I really want to like lentils, but its not easy for me. I do like tofu and TVP, but most beans are not my thing, except black beans for some reason. Oh I am ovo-lacto for now, cause I still eat cheese and eggs, but lately Iv been getting fresh eggs from my friend who has chickens on her ranch, so I feel a lot better about that. Its weird cause Iv never been like this before, I thought PETA's were pretty extreme and "out there". But you never know I guess. :indifferent:
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How is the meat industry bad for the environment?