Has anyone here lost belly fat without cardio?

Options
Loves418
Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
The reason I am asking is because I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis (the evil heel spur) As much as I love to jog on the treadmill it is becoming harder and more painful. Even the elliptical after 20 mins is starting to hurt. I have toned my legs and thighs but now this belly. I started a shrink your belly exercise routine I saw in a health Magazine. It is 15 mins of different ab burning movements.
Has anyone lost belly fat just doing something that doesn't have a lot of jumping or running or killing of the foot? Please help me if you have.

Replies

• specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...I'm interested
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cycling (indoors or out), rowing & swimming will give you a great no impact cardio workout.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had/have (can you ever truly get rid of it) Plantar Fasciitis. I wear specially made orthodics (I also have a bunion). The orthodics help get me through some of the aerobic routines, but I can't run and jumping is better now, but at first sucked. Really good shoes with great shock absorption married with orthodics has worked for me.

Since running is out, this is what works for me. I've been doing P90X and the weight lifting, yoga (I wear shoes to do the yoga), the ab routine.... all of it has worked great. The high intensity aerobics can be scaled down by you to your comfort level. Lift weights and your muscle will burn the fat too!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't do traditional cardio because I have terrible feet, and will hurt myself, even using properly fitted shoes with orthotics. I do strength training, in conjunction with yoga and pilates. The strength training is pretty much all compound moves (squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc.), with stuff like burpees, side burpees, roll backs and Turkish get ups thrown in for good measure, all of which I can do.

Since March 23rd, I've lost 3 inches off my waist, and since April 1st, 2 off my navel (also, 3 inches off my band, but that's not exactly the stomach area). It may not sound like a lot, but keep in mind that I have a very small weight loss goal (like 8-10 pounds)
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try cycling, rowing, or swimming you need to do some sort of cardio to burn fat. You can build muscle all you want but you are only building stronger muscles under that fat. You can create a caloric deficit via your diet and strength training (it is true the more muscle you have the more calories you burnnso it helps) it will just take longer to lose the fat. You cannot spot burn fat and if someone figures out a way to do that please let me know ‘cause I would love to get rid of these saddle bags!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Some of the most ripped people I've seen have never done a second of cardio in their lives. Cardio burns calories and improved cardio conditioning and stamina, that's it. To lose belly fat all you need is a calorie deficit. You can obtain that deficit purely through eating less or in conjunction with any exercise. Exercise has its own benefits of course but is not a requirement to lose fat.

In summary, cardio and belly fat has no required relationship whatsoever.
  • 247momma
    247momma Posts: 14
    Options
    Abs are really built in the kitchen. Include good fats and proteins in your diet along with low glycemic carbs (brussel sprouts, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, strawberries, blueberries) and you will be on your way. I'd agree with others that suggest keeping your cardio up with things like swimming and cycling.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. Does walking hurt? I get a KILLER workout walking on an incline. Put that baby on incline 15 and a 3.0 speed (or whatever you're most comfortable with). You'll be sweating like a dog.

But even then, cardio isn't necessary. Cardio just burns more calories to create a larger caloric deficit. You could easily achieve this by just watching your calorie intake. Lifting weights wouldn't hurt either and it seems like you may be able to lift, at least with some upper body exercises... Muscle mass does wonders for losing a stubborn belly.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This

Well this part of it.....
    "Abs are really built in the kitchen. Include good fats and proteins in your diet "
    Unless you have a pre-existing metabolic disorder it's about calories in vs calories out.......Meet your protein goal, your fat goal and stay under on calories....you will lose weight........Cardio is great for heart health and for allowing you to eat more.

Abs are really built in the kitchen. Include good fats and proteins in your diet along with low glycemic carbs (brussel sprouts, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, strawberries, blueberries) and you will be on your way. I'd agree with others that suggest keeping your cardio up with things like swimming and cycling.
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It's a two step process. First process: Kitchen...eat properly. Second process: Cardio, but with plantar facism...because, it's a pain in the A**....swimming. It got me through high school and college and help me to slim down considerably....but, bear in mind...it's a lot of swimming, but you are working all of your major muscle groups.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It can be done yes, but once you understand the concept of fat mobilization and oxidation by reading some of Lyle's books then you will do cardio also, and do it fasted...especially the leaner you get and are trying to get rid of stubborn fat.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The reason I am asking is because I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis (the evil heel spur) As much as I love to jog on the treadmill it is becoming harder and more painful. Even the elliptical after 20 mins is starting to hurt. I have toned my legs and thighs but now this belly. I started a shrink your belly exercise routine I saw in a health Magazine. It is 15 mins of different ab burning movements.
    Has anyone lost belly fat just doing something that doesn't have a lot of jumping or running or killing of the foot? Please help me if you have.

BUMP.... But what methods did you use to tone your legs and thighs?
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had Plantar Facitis (sp) and I was able to cure it by using a tennis ball and rolling it under my foot while sitting, massaging the crap out of those tendons. It worked and it was suggested to me by another person who had it too. Give it a shot. Ice and stretch!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost weight. With no exercise. You cant just lose belly fat specifically, btw.
  • dunnhorn
    dunnhorn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was watching GMA yesterday when they had a story on a disabled vet who lost over 100# doing yoga. Seriously. He ordered the DDP yoga DVD set and religiously did it at home and he went from walking with a walker and braces on both knees to literally able to jog... and he was in his 50's. I was so amazed I bought a set (it was only $100 - considering all of the $ I have spent on weight loss crap through the years, it seemed to be a decent idea.) It hasn't come yet, so I can't tell you how it is - but I have probably 150# to lose and various orthopedic problems so I am always interested in low/no impact exercises.

Regarding your plantar fasciitis - I had that at the beginning of the year after a weeklong trip to Disney. It was horrid!!!! I tried EVERYTHING and the best thing that worked for me was a combination of better shoes + heel cups + stretching. I bought this great thing on Amazon that is a "green stretch out strap." It is cheap and comes with a stretching book. I did all of the stretches in the book religiously 2x a day and my plantar fasciitis went away in about 3 weeks. If I know I'm going to be standing the heel cups help tremendously - they are aqua and just go in the heel of your shoes. I think they are called "heel seats." I even bought a couple of the boots you are supposed to sleep in - don't waste your money on those. Anyway, good luck!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    <----no cardio but this isn't a very lean pic. Got 1 lean one in gallery for reference. Roughly 10% ish.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    A "clean" diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Losing belly fat without cardio is like losing a train ticket without wearing a jacket.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    A "clean" diet.

You don't have to though.