Porridge or weetos?

Options
Weetos is 118 calories and Jordans porridge is 245!
So with weetos it's easier to stick to my calorie goal for the day, but they're unhealthier..
Which should I eat for breakfast?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So with weetos it's easier to stick to my calorie goal for the day, but they're unhealthier..

I have no idea what's in Jordans porridge. But weetos are nutrionally poor simple carbs without much redeeming value. They'll fill you up for a short time, but then leave you craving carbs or sweets more later on. Snacking on such nutrionally empty simple carbs can spell trouble for long term weight management.

Why not eat an apple? Then you get anti-oxidants, real vitamins, real fiber, stay full longer, and probably won't reinforce your craving for carb snacks so much. Or why not snack on some almonds? Or any kind of real food!
  • sianh19
    sianh19 Posts: 7
    Options
    An apple for breakfast?
  • sianh19
    Options
    I just found the Jordans porridge nutritional information

TYPICAL VALUES Per 100g Per 40g* GDA Adults**
    Energy (kJ) 1536 1048
    Energy (kcal) 364 249 2000
    Protein 11.7g 12.2g 45g
    Carbohydrate 58.4g 33.3g 230g
    of which Sugars 1.0g 10.3g 90g
    Fat 9.3g 7.5g 70g
    of which Saturates 1.8g 3.1g 20g
    Mono-unsaturates 4.3g 2.6g
    Polyunsaturates 3.2g 1.3g
    Fibre 9.0g 3.6g 24g
    Sodium Trace 0.10g 2.4g
    equivalent as Salt Trace 0.27g 6.0g
    *per 40g serving with 220ml semi-skimmed milk
    **GDA = Guideline Daily Amounts

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    probably neither because you'll be hungry in about an hour. Try some eggs!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    100g of porridge sounds like a lot!

When you say 'Jordans porridge', it is just porridge oats or is a pre-mixed flavoured type thing?

If just oats, I only use 40g of oats for a serving of porridge. I then add a banana, sultanas and cinnamon and it tastes really good! I find it quite filling.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I have no idea what's in Jordans porridge.

I think you call it "oatmeal" in the US. It's just oats cooked with milk. I find that porridge is more filling than most cereals and is deinitely higher nutritional value than weetos. I you need to cut calories, cut the portion size.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    100g of porridge sounds like a lot!

When you say 'Jordans porridge', it is just porridge oats or is a pre-mixed flavoured type thing?

If just oats, I only use 40g of oats for a serving of porridge. I then add a banana, sultanas and cinnamon and it tastes really good! I find it quite filling.

snap :smile:

eta: actually, I'm 45g oats + 10g sultanas, I like the idea of cinnamon though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    Porridge (oats).
  • sianh19
    Options
    You don't have 100g of it lol
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You don't have 100g of it lol

Ah, yes just seen that the 249cal is 40g of jordans oats WITH 220ml milk.
    The calories you are comparing aren't like for like. Yes, 30g of Weetos is 118cals, but is not including the calories from the milk you add (assuming you don't eat dry cereal!).

Compare 100g of dry weight - like for like - Weetos is 392cals, Jordans oats are 364cals. So the oats are actually lower in calories per 100g.

With oats, I only use about 50ml of semi-skimmed milk then top up with water. Although it won't be as creamy, the other ingredients I add give it more character so I barely even notice there isn't as much milk as they suggest!