Anyone have any tips for taking powder protein?

Options
acg1305
acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
Everytime I drink it I gag :-(

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've started putting it in my coffee in place of creamer; it's actually really good. One tip I've learned the hard way is that if you're mixing it with anything other than plain cold water (such as coffee or milk), mix up the powder with a tablespoon of water before you add anything else. It completely prevents gross clumping and texture issues.
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I throw my protein powder, water, a few ice cubes and half a banana into the blender - holy crap it's like a milkshake! :)

What is it that's making you gag? Texture? Flavor? Maybe try another flavor?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I add mine to smoothies. Sometimes I try out recipes that use it to make high-protein muffins and such. I haven't even tried it with just plain water.
  • acg1305
    Options
    Great tip, thank you. Im drinking it with black current cordial at the moment, and its blotting out the taste somewhat lol
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I throw my protein powder, water, a few ice cubes and half a banana into the blender - holy crap it's like a milkshake! :)

What is it that's making you gag? Texture? Flavor? Maybe try another flavor?

this.

milk didn't help?
  • brizzy4baby
    Options
    it is really gross.. i usually do 1/3 of a cup fo milk (or skim milk) and the rest water.. i find that make sit easier to drink.. u have to shake it REALLY well otherwise you get those chunky bits, and nobody likes those.... you can also throw it in a blender with ice, a banana , some milk and water if that it easier ! find a flavor you like ( i love the chocolate ) ... hope this helps =))
  • babykell19
    babykell19 Posts: 72
    Options
    i use vanilla protein powder, almond milk and strawberries. super good! you can also mix it up too, ive used blueberries, bananas, strawberries and bananas..etc. enjoy!
  • babykell19
    babykell19 Posts: 72
    Options
    and obviously blend it all together! tip - put the protein powder in last so it doesnt get stuck to the bottom!
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. It makes me gag. I think it's the texture when I mix It with water. I would use skimmed milk but I feel bitter about using 200cal a time, twice a day! Grrrr. Cause I cut my cardio in half I'm
    Really only burning 200-300 cals at the gym as I spend over half the time on
    Weights now. So I don't have the calories to spend on higher cal things like I used to.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I add it to my morning smoothies
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    1/2 banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup skim milk
    1 scoup whey protein powder

My breakfast today, delish! :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. It makes me gag. I think it's the texture when I mix It with water. I would use skimmed milk but I feel bitter about using 200cal a time, twice a day! Grrrr. Cause I cut my cardio in half I'm
    Really only burning 200-300 cals at the gym as I spend over half the time on
    Weights now. So I don't have the calories to spend on higher cal things like I used to.

Unsweetened almond milk is only 35 calories per cup. ;-)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Buy better quality powder
  • acg1305
    Options
    Buy better quality powder

I bought organic vegan powder that cost me a bomb, so not very helpful
  • acg1305
    Options
    Thanks a million for the helpful tips guys, I will try all of these :-) Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it, on the third day and it isn't as bad as at the start! Thanks again x
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use Myofusion whey powder, chocolate flavour...yummy! Mix it with skim milk (water is blah) and shake it, stirring is useless, it leaves all kinds of lumps. :)
  • acg1305
    Options
    I got a vegan one, which is flavourless (well apart from the taste of sick lol) I wanted one low in cals . I will try the smoothy , coffee ideas they sound great thank you
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I stir the chocolate flavour into my oatmeal (and sometimes add a splenda packet to make it a bit sweeter)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't use powder very often, but when I do, I do this:

I like zip fizz powdered vitamin drink (costco). I use the orange one, and a scoop of vanilla powder. Shake it all up, and it tastes like an orange dreamsicle.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I mix my vanilla powder with cinnamon and nutmeg, and then add it to an iced latte... It's delicious.