Different scales I am different weights?

Options
The scale at my gym always says me and my friend are 5 more pounds than the scales we have used at friends and families houses. I am not sure which to believe, How do you know which scale is correct?

Replies

• GermanicKnight
    Options
    I get that from the two scales I have at my house. One is in the upstairs bathroom, the other is in the basement. I weigh up to 3lbs less between the 2 scales. SAME MODEL and everything!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    the scale at the gym says i am 5 lbs less. I go with the one i have at home cuz i use it everyday.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing when I weigh on different scales. But scales are all different in some way or another. So I would just use the same scale every time to weigh. The weight loss will be realitive then. So if you lose 5 pounds, then it's 5 pounds regardless of what the actual number you weigh is.
  • 1023tara150
    Options
    So you won't get discouraged, if you have to weigh yourself use the same scale every time. I'm always 5 lbs. less on the gym scale. I like that one better :)!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing when I weigh on different scales. But scales are all different in some way or another. So I would just use the same scale every time to weigh. The weight loss will be realitive then. So if you lose 5 pounds, then it's 5 pounds regardless of what the actual number you weigh is.

This
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yea, I get that too. It's just the nature of the thing. Just pick the one that you use most often and use that one for your weigh ins. It shouldn't be so much about getting the lowest number possible. It should be about consistency and not lying to yourself about what's happening with your body. Good luck! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

This ^^
    Also, if you are in different state of dress, at a different time of day (we generally weight more in evening than morning) or with different amounts in our stomach, you won't weigh the same even on the same scale.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Callibrate your home scale. Then you'll know it's accurate.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I get that too. The digital at home is always 1.5 pounds more than the calibrated one at Rite Aid and the one at Rite Aid is always 4 pounds less than the one at the gym....soooooo, I use the one at Rite Aid...LOL. Plus they have a BP machine there so I check that once a week as well.
  • AliseIrvine
    AliseIrvine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Home, gym, doctor's...they all say different things! I once heard that the best scale to use if the one in your doctor's office, because that has to be the most true-to-you for medical purposes. I wonder if you could just walkin and asked to be weighted?
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I only use my home ones to indicate direction rather than for my official weigh ins which I do on the pharmacy weighing machine which gives me a printout along with BMI and Fat %. The other half says the public scale is probably less accurate because of the number of people that use it, but I think it's an expensive bit of kit and therefore probably a lot more accurate than my £25 home scale.
  • 3BeersKen
    3BeersKen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Home, gym, doctor's...they all say different things! I once heard that the best scale to use if the one in your doctor's office, because that has to be the most true-to-you for medical purposes. I wonder if you could just walkin and asked to be weighted?

That's what I always assumed, but we know what happens when you assume. I was recently in the ER and got weighed in. The number made me realize that I need to do something about my weight, so I signed up here and with a program at work. The one at work involves a blood workup, so I weighed in at the Dr while getting blood. That scale read 37 lbs lighter than the others. Boy, I WISH that was the right weight.

As others mentioned, it really doesn't matter the number, just use the same scale so that you track your progress.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I use a different scale from the rest of the family - and no one else is allowed to use mine which is a $300 one.

I get consistent results only by having the scale in the same position and standing on the scale the same way each time - having my feet a few inches away from center will change the weight.

And I never match the weight on my doctors scales.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a scales that worked perfectly well. I stupidly went and bought a weight watchers digital scales and it said I had gained 7lbs. I was devastated. Turned out that scales comes in at 4lbs heavier than the other at all times, and it was evening time when it said I was 7lbs heavier, I usually weigh in the morning.

I go by the old scales. Stoooopid WW scales :mad: , wasn't cheap either!