Breastfeeding a 3 year old?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    it become everybody's business when you pose for a magazine ...
    The photo (not breastfeating per say) and title are disturbing ...
    my opinion :)
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Personally I would not do it but it is the mother and child's choice, most children will wean themselves off. But on the benefits of breast milk I do think if you are going to drink milk it should be breast milk. But that's my opinion, I don't believe in drinking milk that is not meant for me to drink. But I only drink almond milk.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know about others, but my 3 year old twins have big *kitten* teeth, and I ain't about to be lettin' them suckle on deez tiitties. But to each their own. I cut it off long before they could actually say "boobies!"
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    IMO, i think breastfeeding is natural & all that, etc. moms should do it... a 3yo... i dont think so. i'm a mom of 2- 11 & 7... my 1st was breastfed for several months, but it later creeped me out when i was intimate w my husband & its a chore in itself. my 2nd child wasn't successful @ it.... i get moms want to bond, but.... NOT ME!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think the photo does more harm than good. Every mother and child are different and most children will self-wean, some need gentle guidance to do so. I see nothing wrong with nursing a 3 year old. I had to wean my DS at 18 months due to my health issues. It was not something either of us were ready for and I wish I could have let him wean himself.
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    Our culture is weird in that using breasts for their intended purpose (i.e., nursing a child) is seen as weird/gross, but stuffing boobs into a tank top and jiggling around the supermarket seldom warrants much comment (unless the chick is really hot or... not.)

Breasts have been so sexualized here that most people have trouble separating them from that sexual connotation.

Truth is, anthropologically speaking, most children will self-wean much later than the usual breastfeeding length of time stops -- somewhere between 2 1/2 and 4, usually, but as late as 7(!!) is still considered normal in places-that-aren't-the-U.S.

I agree that the, "are you mom enough?" comment is unwarranted, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a 4 year old still breastfeeding. Unhealthy, dependent behaviors tend to come from other factors, not the breastfeeding itself. It CAN be used as a tool to manipulate/keep the child clinging to Mommy, but so can food, toys, treats... it's a problem with the mother's attitude/state of mind, not the act of nursing.

I'm still nursing a 19-month-old, but it's a very different thing, nursing a toddler, versus nursing her when she was less than a year old. She makes pit stops now and only nurses for longer periods when she's falling asleep. I expect the pit stops will grow less and less frequent.

They'd better, anyway, cause I think I'm going to lose my tolerance for getting kicked in the face long before she's 4.

Completely agree with you ^^^^^ :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: