Anytime Fitness - your thoughts?

Options
There is one about two blocks from my house. I can walk to it. :) Or maybe even run to it someday. Anyway, I have been thinking about joining for awhile now but I am scared of "THE GYM". Do they help you build an exercise routine that is tailored to your needs? Is it a "G-String" club? You know what I mean!!! Any thoughts, personal experiences, advice, etc. would be appreciated.

Replies

• TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Really? No one?
  • jitsurnr
    jitsurnr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have never been to one, but I have concerns as a woman, about being in there 'anytime' if it is real early or late, and safety when there are no staff members there. Did you end up joining one?
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i have never been a member to that particular gym, but the fact you can walk/job there and exercise sounds like a good idea. plus if you dont like it, usually you pay a small fee and are let our of your contract so no worries.
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    I love ours. I don't go at "odd" hours, but there are necklaces with alarms on them in case of emergency. The entire place is also monitored by camera constant -- there is no where to hide :) Ours is new and is exceptionally nice because the cardio is one area, weight machines another, and free weights (where all the "bulky" guys work out, full of mirrors) is almost entirely seperate.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for approximately 3 years. Great customer service and they help members tailor a cardio/strength program. They have panic buttons that members can wear when they are there after hours to summon the police.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    We had one out by us for a while but it closed down - I am thinking it was not used much. I liked it because I could go in the middle of the night. They did have personal training options but I never looked into them. There were a few ladies that dressed sort of, um, we'll call it questionable, from time to time but for the most part, I never recall having that much of an issue with it...of course, at the time I was working out there, there was also a Bally Total Fitness about a mile down the road and that was where all the butt-floss action was at lol
  • catherine5459
    catherine5459 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to my local Anytime Fitness club. It was clean and the equiptment was well taken care of. I quit going because we bought home exercise equiptment. When I went they were always having "biggest loser" type competitions and such. A lot of people participated in them. Our club is in a small town, where you know almost everyone, and if you dont know them and you are running on a treadmill next to them, chances are you will start chatting with them. No one was ever there "looking for a date". You can join monthly, so I suggest you try it out, see if its for you and go from there.
  • sisswright
    sisswright Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and i love it, the staff and members are friendly and since it's a smaller gym you can get one on one advice anytime the trainer is there. I too usually go during staffed hours but the people seem to be respectful.
  • workoutgirl23
    workoutgirl23 Posts: 267
    Options
    I was a member there in the past for a couple years before i had kids. i really liked it, because i could go at any time. it was always open. so if i felt like working out really late at night, i could. its very nice. but now, i go to a different gym, because my gym now has a day care service. but its a good place.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of Anytime for over a year now and I love it. The equipment is well maintained and our owner has brought in a lot of extras (fitness balls, stretch bands, more weights, etc.) If its close and you think you'll use it, I would go for it.
    Ours has an enforced dress code which requires some type of shirt for everyone. We also have trainers that are there for most of the day, so even though it isn't "staffed", there are people there.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've never been to an "Anytime Fitness", but I have been to several others and I have found that, at most of them, there is a wide variety of people who work out there. Don't let your fear hold you back. At least go check it out. If you can (I don't know your work schedule), the best time to workout is usually just before or just after lunch. There are usually very few people in the gym at that time of day because most are at work or in school during that time.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I joined the YMCA and I LOVE it, they have amazing staff, great equipment and I LOVE all the classes and activites (plenty for my daughter too)

I am the type of person who cannot work out at home, I just wont do it, that is why I like the gym, I go after I drop my daughter off at school for an hour or two (depends if I want to lapswim or not) and it's great, the staff are very helpfull and supportive and I haven't come accross anyone "looking pretty" or the "G-string" club there, it's normal people (all ages, genders,sizes, etc)
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've only been to one. it was out of town on a band trip. I got a free tryout. I wasn't impressed. This particular location seemed more of a "do it yourself" gym - I don't think they help you build a routine. Plus the place was dirty. I didn't even want to touch the handles on the elliptical. I know this is just one branch of the chain - perhaps other ones are better. I'd join for a month to give it a try. Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    All that matters is how you feel about the one that you live by. The ones in my area seem nice, but I already have a cheaper membership elsewhere.

You should check it out on guess past and see how you feel about it.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I may check it out this weekend if possible. I dont have the motivation to work out at home. I have an elliptical but I hate it. I need to be AWAY from the house otherwise I find ten million things to do (dishes, laundry, vacuum, etc) that I think are more important. Plus I wont be interrupted if I am at a gym. This one is small and I notice that around 8pm there arent many cars out there. I feel so fat and clumsy at the gym.
  • PrettynWitty12
    PrettynWitty12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I may check it out this weekend if possible. I dont have the motivation to work out at home. I have an elliptical but I hate it. I need to be AWAY from the house otherwise I find ten million things to do (dishes, laundry, vacuum, etc) that I think are more important. Plus I wont be interrupted if I am at a gym. This one is small and I notice that around 8pm there arent many cars out there. I feel so fat and clumsy at the gym.

I am also thinking about joining an Anytime Fitness in my area. Oh Mindy Henry, don't feel fat and clumsy at the gym you'll be svelt and coordinated there in no time! You're taking steps towards a better you, and that my dear is to be commended :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I actually toured one last Friday and I'm going to go sign and join it today. I checked out another local gym but the Anytime fitness was much more friendly and personal. Their equipment was really nice too. The other guys in the big gyms were too pushy trying to sell me trainers and force me into their workout mode. Plus I didn't like their hours. They're probably going to have a hernia when they find out that I gave them the wrong contact phone number. Ha ha!

The entire place is monitored and you wear a necklace with a button for emergencies. If I ever use it I'm going to say "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up. "
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I may check it out this weekend if possible. I dont have the motivation to work out at home.

Even if you do there are constant interruptions. My dogs want let in and out constantly if I'm busy. (I'm getting a doggy door soon)

If you can afford it and one is close pick a gym for sure.