Post-workout soreness question

Options
Is there a good way to deal with the pain and stiffness that follows either a tough or new workout?
I'm on day 10 of making the cut... and it's a rest day thankfully.
I have to work today...work in a library and am considering painkillers just to shelf books!!
Any ideas? do I need to stretch a LOT more after the workouts??

Cindy

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana right after your workout. I think you'll like the effects. :happy:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I make sure I stretch after the workout and then when I wake up the next morning I also stretch. I also make sure I do some light cardio (walking, etc.) the day after a hard workout. Getting my body moving seems to help with the soreness. I know you're sore, but if you have time, try taking a walk to get the muscles and joints moving and the blood flowing. Hopefully it will help a bit. Sometimes taking some Advil also helps. Good luck.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I find that the more I move, the less sore I am. I have been really sore lately because I started a new workout. I walked my daughter to school this morning instead of letting her ride the bus and I feel much better. I also stretch every morning as soon as I wake up and throughout the day.

O!:wink: Soreness is also a GREAT reason to treat yourself to a massage!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Great...I will try the banana thing.
    Walking...I walk a lot at work, so I'll see how that feels.
    THANKS

Cindy
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I like a banana before and protein after....hot bath and advil never hurt!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    A little ibuprophen never hurts!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Stretching, water, move around.

If you need pain killers to help do that, that's up to you.

I'm wired a little differently though, I enjoy the soreness. It helps tell me I'm alive. Iit also reminds me I did a good job of working out. Although you don't necissarily have to be sore after a work out for it to be effective or good.
  • pcbta
    Options
    ya, I actually like it to some degree...makes me feel like something is happening! but today for whatever reason it's downright painful...

Thanks guys.

Cindy
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You also may not be drinking enough water before, during, and after your workout. The less water you drink, the more acid builds in your muscles. You need to flush it out. :flowerforyou:
  • inigomontoya
    Options
    Are you cooling down properly at the end of your workout? I find if I do a 5-10 min cool down before stretching really helps to reduce the soreness.
  • pcbta
    Options
    I'm going to try to cool down WAY longer today...I think I just move into stretching too fast. I have been doing the 30 day shred for months and months...and other workouts...so all of a sudden I start "making the cut" 30 day challenge and I'm in pain!
    well, off to try to work out through the pain...I think one squat and I might cry.
    :wink:

Cindy
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to cool down WAY longer today...I think I just move into stretching too fast. I have been doing the 30 day shred for months and months...and other workouts...so all of a sudden I start "making the cut" 30 day challenge and I'm in pain!
    well, off to try to work out through the pain...I think one squat and I might cry.
    :wink:
    Cindy

Yes, a good cool down and stretch will help. I also agree w/ the banana suggestion. Ibuprofen or Aleve if you really need it. Good luck *Making the Cut*!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    How does a banana help with the soreness