Scale not for use with IUD??

Options
ACB42
ACB42 Posts: 40 Member
I bought a new scale (http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336756517&sr=1-3) and read in the instructions that it is not for use by people with an implanted contraceptive device. WTH?? Why not? I have a Mirena, and am going to be really pissed if my scale gets me knocked up! :)

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Is it one that measures body fat? If so, it may just have to do with the pulses it sends through your body agitating your mirena.

I don't think it could interfere to the point of rendering it useless.. but I would worry about it irritating you somehome.
  • MollyBagans
    Options
    bump
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Wow that is totally random! Maybe I should read the directions on my scale now!
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor, but I would suspect it possibly refers to the old fashioned copper iuds. my understanding is that mirena is plastic
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor, but I would suspect it possibly refers to the old fashioned copper iuds. my understanding is that mirena is plastic

This is my thought too.. and the Mirena is completely plastic.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I bought a new scale (http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336756517&sr=1-3) and read in the instructions that it is not for use by people with an implanted contraceptive device. WTH?? Why not? I have a Mirena, and am going to be really pissed if my scale gets me knocked up! :)

I have never read directions on a scale. LOL
  • Kkwalker88
    Kkwalker88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena also. I have never heard of anything like that. Kinda makes your think twice about stuff!
  • badgranola
    badgranola Posts: 67 Member
    Options

HA HA HA!!!!! I need to read my scales directions now too! I don't need a scale baby ;)
  • nikki_1979
    nikki_1979 Posts: 57
    Options
    I would think that the warning probably applies more to the old-fashioned copper IUDs since it involves an electromagnetic signal. Mirena isn't conductive.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I dunno what Mirena is made of, but I'm pretty sure that the issue would be with copper IUDs. Copper...electrical signal.....
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    from what i have read, the scale sends small "electrical" pulses through your body, and should not be used by someone with a pacemaker or copper IUD. i'm not sure if Mirena is copper? personally i would speak to my dr about it.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    i have paraguard which is copper no hormones .hmm never thought twice about a scale
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. interesting. I'm assuming its a scale that measures BF, water weight ect? I have a scale that does that and I have the mirena. I don't think it has affected the numbers on the scale.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    mirena isn't copper... So don't worry :)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have that exact scale and like it a lot.

If in doubt, consult your physician prior to use.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    and am going to be really pissed if my scale gets me knocked up! :)

Best thing I've read on the forums today. On that high note, it is time to log off!

• StartingOver4Me
    Options

I have never read directions on a scale. LOL

me neither! lol