Weight Meats before or after cooking?

Options
kamazza
kamazza Posts: 98 Member
Hey there all,
just wondered what is the best time to weigh my meat? If I make two oz turkey burgers and weigh them before cooking and then weigh them again after they are now only 1 oz burgers! I know why, of course, but am wondering should I count it as a 2 oz or a 1 oz burger? Same with all meats, they shrink and lose moisture so do we weigh before, after or both?

Thanks for any insight!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    unless the nutritional data you are using specifies "as cooked" then it is based on raw and should be used with the raw uncooked weight.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    MFP has many meats in both "raw" and "cooked" form.

Pick the right one.
  • sweiland1
    sweiland1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Crap... I've been weighing all my food after cooking but entering it with the raw weights... This explain the really slow weight lose. :(
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I chose before. Seems to work for me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I weight before I cook.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    this has always stumped me. esp when ordering fajitas at a restaurant, they always say "1 lb pre-cooked weight" and it comes out and looks like it's not enough meat for my 3-year-old. i always weigh my food after it's cooked, but i think that's wrong. i think i might try doing raw for a while to see if that makes a difference. thanks for the post.
  • kamazza
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I just was looking up ground turkey burgers and it doesn't seem to specify either cooked or raw. I can't find any listings for "raw" turkey burgers. I'll stick to weighing before then :)
  • narick
    narick Posts: 23
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I just was looking up ground turkey burgers and it doesn't seem to specify either cooked or raw. I can't find any listings for "raw" turkey burgers. I'll stick to weighing before then :)

If they are generic, then weigh whenever you want and the find either cooked or raw on MFP. and look up ground turkey, not turkey burgers. you will find ground turkey on here. If it has nutrition facts on the packaging, that is the raw weight serving size and macros. i had that issue when i was just beginning too.. its confusing as hell i know.
  • kamazza
    Options
    Thanks Narick, I'll try that out :)