Is weight workouts the best way to lose fat?

Options
I've heard that weights are the best way to lose weight over cardio?

Replies

• Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns the fat and lifting weights tones you up! (at least for me)
    :)
  • rachieepachiee
    Options

Thanks :) can't believe you have lost 66 pounds! How long has it taken you? Im jealous! I want to lose between 10-20!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think that weights are pretty effective for burning fat. I mean, when I was doing ballet my body was pretty lean, and ballet is definitely more of a strength than cardio workout.
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    June will be one year since I started my journey. I didn't start exercising until October and I became vegan in January. Eating clean and counting my calories is what really made my body change and tone up faster than exercising alone ever did!
  • dalessi123
    dalessi123 Posts: 22
    Options
    Last spring, I started going to the gym 5x a week. I was 148 pounds. I did cardio 3x a week and weights/pilates/yoga 2x a week. by the end of summer I was about 145 lbs BUT my body fat % went down from 28%-21%! It was a huge difference, my legs were leaner, my stomach smaller and my arms were toned. I felt great, even though the scale didn't switch much.

I just started going back to the gym and will start doing weights again ASAP! Hope this gives you a small insight :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Losing fat = heavy lifting + high protein + moderate calorie deficit + patience + patience + patience

Period. That's how you do it.

Lift heavy, eat a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, and keep your total cals at a moderate deficit. The concept is not hard. The execution can be.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

No, it doesn't. Cardio creates a larger caloric deficit, which is not necessary if your diet is good (speaking purely from a weight loss standpoint). Lifting (along with adequate protein intake) helps retain muscle.

The caloric deficit is what causes you to lose weight. As you lose weight, the remaining muscle becomes more visible.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    June will be one year since I started my journey. I didn't start exercising until October and I became vegan in January. Eating clean and counting my calories is what really made my body change and tone up faster than exercising alone ever did!

Exactly. Weight loss is about diet. Fat loss is about diet + lifting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting burn calories. Fat gets burned when glycogen stores are depleted and when at rest. Cardio doesn't raise RMR (unless it's HIIT cardio) and HEAVY weight lifting does. Weights advantage is that you retain muscle, while doing cardio only doesn't spare lean muscle.
    But the key will always be...................calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting burn calories. Fat gets burned when glycogen stores are depleted and when at rest. Cardio doesn't raise RMR (unless it's HIIT cardio) and HEAVY weight lifting does. Weights advantage is that you retain muscle, while doing cardio only doesn't spare lean muscle.
    But the key will always be...................calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What Niner said. Also I'd like to add to this.

As folks get leaner, and are trying to get rid of stubborn fat (men who are around 12-15% and women who are around 19-23%, there are three aspects of fat loss that you need to pay very close attention to.

1. Fat Mobilization
    2. Fat Transport
    3. Fat Oxidation

For somewhat lean individuals trying to get leaner, mobilization becomes a problem which is one of the reasons why HIIT cardio and FASTED cardio becomes especially important. Weight training is important as Niner said for obvious reasons to help retain as much LBM as possible while dieting.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    What they said above is correct, cardio creates a higher calorie deficit than lifting weights, but in my opinion that is not what makes you look hot!

Case in point...

Here are my legs when doing a cardio only workout and eating 1000-1200 calories a day. Also I was 5 years younger than I am now and weighed 10 pounds less than I do now. Notice the lumpiness and visual cellulite.

oldlegs.jpg

Now here are my legs a few weeks ago (not the best picture but I was a little drunk on a cruise, don't judge :wink: ). Notice the muscle tone and lack of cellulite (this goes for the back of my thighs as well). I weigh more now and do 90% weights. I am probably 5% body fat less and I weigh more, and I burned all of the fat by doing weight training. Also I eat 1800+ now.

legs.jpg
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great comparison kdiamond :) It's hard to remember that body composition changes when you lift heavy even though the scale moves SO SLOWLY or in the wrong direction even. I can attest!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the best way to lose fat.

Weights are better for getting the "toned" look though :smile:

A combination of both is best overall.
  • annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think Exercises to lose weight work best for you.
    Do aerobic exercise.
    Cardio burns is the best way to lose weight.
    Dancing is a good way to lose weight too.
    Eat freash fruit and veggies.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Try yoga. It will help.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do aerobic exercise.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Try yoga. It will help.

Where are the weights..?? Weights are very important in losing fat and getting your ultimate body, as others discussed above!
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Losing fat = heavy lifting + high protein + moderate calorie deficit + patience + patience + patience

Period. That's how you do it.

Lift heavy, eat a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, and keep your total cals at a moderate deficit. The concept is not hard. The execution can be.

This. Patience is key. The execution is hard as it is a pretty big lifestyle change for a lot of people. It took me 3 weeks minimum to get use to the amount of food I was taking while i was switching to a deficit.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Do aerobic exercise.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Try yoga. It will help.

*scratches head*

What?
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options

Where are the weights..?? Weights are very important in losing fat and getting your ultimate body, as others discussed above!

The OP didn't ask about getting the ultimate body, they asked about loosing fat.

You can loose significant body fat with the correct diet and cardio.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

The OP didn't ask about getting the ultimate body, they asked about loosing fat.
    You can loose significant body fat with a calorie deficit.

Fixed that for you. :flowerforyou: