Will I Ever Run?

Options
I've always wanted to be a runner. Something about running just appeals to me. That said, I've had knee surgery 3 times on the right knee so I really have not run in years, and I'm talking 15+ years even though I'm only 27.

I tried to do the C25K and I couldn't even do it for the 90 seconds for week 1. I'm breathing like a 95 year old emphysema patient (I'm using that because it reminds me of how my 65 year old aunt with severe emphysema breathes, no disrespect to anyone!), and I'm beginning to think maybe I'm just not cut out for it. It burns my chest and my shins feels like they are going to split in 2.

What am I doing wrong? Is it normal to start off THIS slow?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be a runner. Something about running just appeals to me. That said, I've had knee surgery 3 times on the right knee so I really have not run in years, and I'm talking 15+ years even though I'm only 27.

I tried to do the C25K and I couldn't even do it for the 90 seconds for week 1. I'm breathing like a 95 year old emphysema patient (I'm using that because it reminds me of how my 65 year old aunt with severe emphysema breathes, no disrespect to anyone!), and I'm beginning to think maybe I'm just not cut out for it. It burns my chest and my shins feels like they are going to split in 2.

What am I doing wrong? Is it normal to start off THIS slow?

Honestly, it just sounds like you have to slow down. Seriously. Do the run sections even slower, ridiculously slow even so that you are running at a pace at which you can converse with someone. The fitness will come.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain girl! I'm 27 as well and have bad RA in both my knees :( I use to run but haven't in like 6 years. Up until a few months ago I could hardly walk. I know putting on weight did not help me knees. I started off slow by walking. At first it was 20 minutes, then 30, etc. Now I am able to use the elliptical. I have good days and I have my bad days. I really wish I could run again. I did my first 5K in a long time and just walked the whole thing. I got a little emotional seeing others run. Even people bigger than me. BUT I know I'm making progress everyday even if it's small. I'm hoping one day I will be able to run again. So my advice to you is go slow. Take it one day at a time. If you haven't ran in years, doing the Couch to 5K will kick your butt. I haven't tried it yet but thinking about it. Good luck to you! You can do it! I did send a friend request your way :)
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How fast were you trying to run during C25K? I use the term "run" loosely - I totally jogged, definitely not sprinting or anything resembling a fast pace. I finished the program with bad knees and a bad back. It certainly takes some time and perseverence to build up your endurance, but it can totally be done.

I found most of the battle with running was mental rather than physical. More often than not if you think you can do it, you will. I love the phrase "The body will do what the mind tells it to." That being said, listen to your body if you really think you're going to injure yourself...

Also try to do some extra warm-up and stretching if it's making you sore.
  • vivekg
    vivekg Posts: 35
    Options
    After seeing this video, I believe anyone in the world can run. Just about the best video Ive seen in a while. Have a look if u dont believe u can run (Even I used to think the same thing, so i can understand where ur coming from)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have to run really slowly and i had to repeat a bunch of days throughout the C25k.

My advice - run REALLY slow - repeat days when necessary. Even if that means you do week 1 day 1 5 times. You can do it. Don't give up.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I started I found the week1day1 jog sections very hard. A few weeks ago, I ran my first non-stop 5k (5.5k actually :D ).

Slow it down, jog a little over walking pace, and build it up. You WILL get there!

EDIT: Some people have said repeat days of the C25k - whilst I like the idea, what I found more useful for myself, was to make up my own intermediate steps, so I wasn't repeating a day, I was adding repeats on the end of it, before I moved on to the next step.
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Run really slow and the fitness will come. Also starting off really easy and slow will be better since you have previous knee injuries. Be patient and good luck.
  • prsusa38
    prsusa38 Posts: 29
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good program to use, however, don't get discouraged if you can't do it right away. Start at your own pace and go slow...you will get there little by little.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    When I first tryed to do C25K, I had the same problem. Couldn't make it through the first week. I started doing other things instead. I did Zumba and some other videos to try and increase my endurance. Then I did it again and finished! It felt awesome. A few pieces of advice...

1. Get a running buddy. It is a heck of a lot easier to be held accountable if you have someone there to push you. I don't think I could have done it without my buddies!

2. Don't try to go too fast. Who cares how fast you're going. As long as you are moving, you're making progress.

3. Don't fret if you have to do a week more than once. It's ok. We all have set backs.

4. I realized that my breathing got better when I ate better. I don't know why. Maybe it was just a general feeling I had, but it helped.

5. When I started the second time I also had SUPER bad shin problems. Go to a running store (one that specializes in running.. not ****'s or Foot Locker... go to a run club) and have them help you with shoes. Bring your shoes with you. They will help pick the right shoes for your foot fall. Also, I got my shoes a 1/2 size bigger than my normal shoes and that helped CONSIDERABLY!

I'm sorry... I know this is kinda like me rambling on and on, but I just want you to know that you CAN do it! We all do things at different speeds. You'll get there some day! :flowerforyou:

And remember, as long as you're running, regardless of how fast or long you go, you are still running circles around those sitting on their tushies!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should go to a running store and get fitted for shoes, too. That is especially important if you already have knee issues. Go somewhere they watch you run on a treadmill, and have you try shoes that are appropriate for your running style and the amount of running you do. It is totally worth it. The fitness will come with time. Just stick to it! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way...I want to run. I tried to do the c25k program 6 months ago and made it to week 3 before I stopped because my shins were killing me. I stretched and stretched but it just hurt and hurt some more. I thought I'm just not meant to run BUT I started again and just finished week 2 today. For whatever reason it has been a little easier this time around. The difference this time, I'm using my walk time for a little recovery (still moving at a good pace for me) and I'm just jogging. I read that you should run as slowly as possible throughout the program and worry about speed after you finish it. Well, it seems so far to be working. The first 4 run segments each time are a little struggle but by the time I'm on the last two segments, I feel like I could just keep going!! The last time I did it I kept increasing my walk and run speed so that by the time I reached week 3 I thought I would die from the shin pain.

Now I don't have any knee issues but I've had some health issues that have made working out a challenge so I do understand. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to try and run or jog our way through it.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    After seeing this video, I believe anyone in the world can run. Just about the best video Ive seen in a while. Have a look if u dont believe u can run (Even I used to think the same thing, so i can understand where ur coming from)

OMG Thanks for sharing this! I'm crying because I was there, not quite as severe but in the beginning I was unable to walk or even move one arm.

You CAN do this, I had a metal screw in my ankle, one leg is almost a half inch longer than the other, have severe back, neck, shoulder and clavicle injuries from a car accident, and my knees were so crunchy you could hear every step..... and I just finished my 2nd half marathon in two months.

I started with 10 steps of jogging, and increased 5-10 steps every few days. It was a long process, but almost anyone can jog 10 steps. Another benefit of running, people will talk about damage to your knees, but my knees don't hurt as much anymore and are no longer crunchy, they move quite smoothly now!!!

I see people out on my trail with no legs running with their cheetah sticks, and I think if they can do it, so can I! Go to a GOOD running store and get fitted for good shoes Hugely important!!! and Always believe you WILL do this, and you WILL! :)
  • Mich3ll36
    Mich3ll36 Posts: 96
    Options

Wow.. I just watched that video... Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.