Flax seed help!

Options
Hi all! I recently decided to try experimenting with some things that are supposed to be "better" than others or help you with the healthy things you are supposed to be getting daily. For example switching to coconut/almond milk or skim milk, Nutella, air popped popcorn for late night cravings, Greek yogurt for protein and as a substitute for mayo in a lot of things, quinoa, ... etc.. I also purchased a box of ground flax seed. I was wondering if anyone has tips on what I can do with it. There are a few suggestions on the box, like sprinkling it over yogurt, but you can only eat so much yogurt! So what do I do? :)

Replies

• niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Put it in almost anything. Works well added to cereals, yogurt, smoothies, or stove top dishes, such as goulash. Make sure that you grind it up, or buy it already ground.
  • PaddlingTriGirl
    PaddlingTriGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can add it to any baking (breads, muffins, even cookies, pancakes, etc). I add 1/2 cup to my chocolate chip banana bread recipe. Do you drink smoothies? You can add it there too. Really, you can add it to anything!
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello :happy:
    I made the same choice (that was approved by my nutritionist ) and got a flax seed ground . I add it to anu food I like: meat, vegetables, soup, you name it. It doesn't have to be just yogurt.
    Hope it helps,
    Marishka
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I add 2 Tbsp of it a day to my oatmeal in the mornings. You can also add it to a glass of milk. Good luck.
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! The box I bought is already pre-ground so it will be perfect for that. We do have pancakes from time to time, along with muffins, and I am a cereal junkie. I don't make smoothies often, but with summer coming, that is something to think about. I'll try out all the suggestions and see what I like... thanks again!
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I didn't buy the ground stuff... do I have to grind it myself or can I use the little things whole?
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I didn't buy the ground stuff... do I have to grind it myself or can I use the little things whole?

i'd like to know the same.....
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Flax has to be ground to get the benefits of it. Your body will not digest whole flax. Also, once ground, refrigerate it or the oil in it will cause it to spoil. I add flax to homemade breaf, pancakes, oatmeal every morning.

On a seperate note, to OP, nutella is not a healthy choice. Delish yes, healthy no. In fact a mom group just won a major class actionlawsuit against the company for claiming it is healthy, when it is not. Google nutelka lawsuit for those details.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you don't grind it...It will go straight through!
  • Pipergirl2
    Pipergirl2 Posts: 25
    Options
    I add it to just about everything...meatloaf, tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce, yogurt, pancakes, I have even coated chiken and fish before I bake it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If it is pre-ground make sure you store in refrigerator and use in a reasonable amount of time so it doesn't go rancid. It is usually recommended to buy whole and grind only what you need because it goes bad fairly soon after ground (I think it was 2 weeks but you will want to look that up as I can't remember).

If you find chia seeds those are just as good as flax and you don't have to grind them.