Dirty Girl Mud Run

Options
Hey all I am doing my first ever run of any kind this Aug. I am currently doing C25K to prep but the Dirty Girl includes climbing and such. Any tips besides doing C25K?

I am also doing Turbo Jam and other strength training.

Any help/tips would be great! thanks!

Replies

• jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I am doing one this Saturday! I've just completed c25k- other than that I've just kept my regular lifting routine.

Angie
  • jatiger83
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Please let me know how it goes this weekend and if you have any tips after doing it. GOOD LUCK! :)
  • pattimelt1969
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash last fall. I struggled with the upper body things. Anything I could use my legs for I was OK. I was told to focus on upper body and balance. My personal suggestion is to be careful on the obsticles when they are wet. I saw several injured participants due to a simple slip. I was still stiff and bruised later that day. Good thing my run ended with a free beer!!
  • jatiger83
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I have heard many ppl end up hurt afterwards so i'm prepared with some beer and icey hot! Lol ;) I had started to work on upper body strength I just hope it's enough :)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I did the dirty girl last Saturday. I also did c25k to prep. Here are a couple tips....
    1. Run outdoors. Run in fields. Treadmill vs. Dirty girl setting..... way different.
    2. Be fearless. Go out there with the mentality that you can do it!

I do not think dirty girl was hard. Hardest for me were the wall and cargo net. But I did them. Be prepared to get dirty andhave fun! Best time I have had. Ever! Doing it again in September. I am proud tobe a dirty girl! Btw my profile pic..... thats me afterwards!
  • jatiger83
    Options
    I did the dirty girl last Saturday. I also did c25k to prep. Here are a couple tips....
    1. Run outdoors. Run in fields. Treadmill vs. Dirty girl setting..... way different.

I do not think dirty girl was hard. Hardest for me were the wall and cargo net. But I did them. Be prepared to get dirty andhave fun! Best time I have had. Ever! Doing it again in September. I am proud tobe a dirty girl! Btw my profile pic..... thats me afterwards!

I love the profile pic!! Way to go! I am currently running outside so (check) lol but I haven't run in a field...(add to list) :)
    I am so excited to do this! I'm ready to have fun and get dirty!!
    Thanks!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the playground and going through the monkey bars as much as possible. Other than the C25K that's gonna be your best bet. And make sure you don't mind crawling in tight spaces through mud. Just finished my first mud run and the only thing I had trouble with was the 6ft wall. It was slippery with mud and I didn't have the upper body strength to get myself over.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Also...duct tape your shoes!
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just did a mud run on 5/5/12. All I can say is cardio cardio cardio. You will have so much fun, you won't even realize you are putting in work! Good luck!!!
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I agree with this completely. I just did it last Saturday too -- my profile pic is me on top of the cargo net -- I am afraid of heights so I am the one on the right hanging on for dear life lol! I have some other pics of other obstacles in my profile from the run. Good luck -- it was a blast!
    Dorie
  • kristalael
    kristalael Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just go out there and have FUN!! It's not a race or competition, nothing is timed so just enjoy it and get muddy! I jumped into every puddle of mud I could find when I did it on 5/5/12. It was the most empowering day of my life! I didn't think I could do it but I completed every obstacle and where I couldn't run I walked, it was an incredible day followed by many beers with a great group of ladies!! I have cuts and bruises and I was sore but I would do it all over again tomorrow if I could! :happy:
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I really want to do this!! Just checked their website and I guess I'll have to wait until next April when they come back to Atlanta!! This looks like so much fun!!
  • jatiger83
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips and for sharing your experiences! I am even more excited to do it now!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just did my first mud run last Saturday. I have issues with the upper body work. I am getting prepared for my next by focusing on upper body training and working on the monkey bars at the park.

Good luck, you will have so much fun!
  • jatiger83
    Options
    Sounds like I'm heading to the park to test myself on the money bars! :)
  • Mich3ll36
    Mich3ll36 Posts: 96
    Options
    I dont know any tips but thats one of my goals with this weight loss thing. Ive always wanted to be able to participate in it. Have a great time and let us know how it goes.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was seriously nervous cause I am not in the best shape. But I had nothing to worry about. The wall was the third obstacle. Conquering that was so exhilarating that I was pumped for the rest of the run. The atmosphere was amazing. The women were unbelievably supportive of each other. I remember laughing so hard at some points. After the wall, we ran up a small hill and there was a mud pit. One of my girls jumped full force into the puddle to splash me. Some other woman got splashed and freaked out "Oh she got me dirty!" We busted out at that. Not sure where she thought she was!!
  • jatiger83
    Options
    That's sounds like a blast!! I can't wait!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just did Warrior Dash (craziest, funnest thing I have ever done) and recommend upper body strength training. Other free advice - wear tight fitting clothes including leggins for when you have to crawl on the ground. Loose fitting clothes get very heavy when they get wet and muddy. Also buy a cheap pair of weight lifting gloves that you can throw away when you are done. They can save your hands. But most importantly - HAVE FUN! That is really what it is all about. The fact that you are doing it makes you one step ahead of those who will be sitting on the couch that day.