Clearing Some Things Up BMR And Weightloss

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whoops, somehow I screwed up the quote but my reply is in the middle of your original post up there^^^^^

So When i calculate my TDEE do i include the exercises i plan on doing everyday or just my lifestyle not including the exercises i plan to take part in>?

It already includes your exercise because you will chose your activity level based on how often you exercise. Make sure not to under estimate how active you are for fear of over eating!! Go to Www.scoobyworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/.

Not everyone does it that way though. The lifestyle or activity level or whatever this site calls it (don't remember off the top of my head) can be used to factor in workouts/exercise, or simply how "busy" your normal day-to-day life is, for lack of a better word. That's how I've set mine up. My activity level factors in my job, errands, house work, chasing my kids around, etc etc, but not my workouts.

Thats how i did mines i just included my normal daily activity. I didnt include the workouts i was planning on adding in

Right, and my sense is that's how most people set theirs up. As such, the daily caloric goal calculated by MFP does not factor in the cals burned during exercise, which, as a general rule, it is suggested that people eat back their exercise cals.
  • MsMarie213
    MsMarie213 Posts: 21
    Options
    Here's a question...and if you feel the need to be rude or condescending, please don't reply...

If you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, then why does MFP calculate a net calorie goal that is less than your BMR?

That is a great question actually and I wish I had the answer to it. But to give you an example, I was set at 1200 calories and so was a friend of mine who is 72 lbs heavier than I am and we had the same exact goals. 1200 calories is not enough for most people unless it happens to be your BMR. I'm a petite person and my BMR is 1373. That means I need to eat AT LEAST that much just for my organs to function. I'm telling ya, check out eat more to weigh less. I was so freaked out to up my calories at first because when I first joined I lost 7 lbs, then I hit a 4 week plateau. I started eating more and about 10 days later my body must have started trusting that I was going to continue to feed it because I dropped 1.2 lbs. I would not advocate this if I had not tried it myself! Eat more to weigh less, you will not be sorry you did!

So since my bmr is 1869 thats what i should at least be eating? Gosh it seems so difficult because since i began to eat meals throughout my day and not just eat 1 big meal like i used to i tend to stay more full my protien shakes and the constant drinking of water add on to the fullness as well. Sometimes its hard to reach my limit. Maybe i should stop being so scared to eat certain things like i am now and actually EAT to boost my calories.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here's a question...and if you feel the need to be rude or condescending, please don't reply...

If you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, then why does MFP calculate a net calorie goal that is less than your BMR?
    It can only do so much. That's why I like the link I posted earlier.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

then plug THOSE numbers in to MFP (the custom approach, or whatever they call it).

Because I'm learing too...If someone uses this approach, do you still track/eat back exercise calories? Or no?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Maybe i should stop being so scared to eat certain things like i am now and actually EAT to boost my calories.

Pure gold right there!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

then plug THOSE numbers in to MFP (the custom approach, or whatever they call it).

Because I'm learing too...If someone uses this approach, do you still track/eat back exercise calories? Or no?
    It depends on HOW you use it. Tell fat2fit how much you work out (your lifestyle), then plug the suggested number into MFP and then THAT'S IT. You don't need to track exercise or "eat back". If you tell fat2fit "sedentary" and then consistently exercise, then you'll need to consider your exercise calories in MFP.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes. BMR is the calories your body needs to sustain itself at it's most basic level (breathing, blood flowing, etc). Ideally you want your daily calorie goal to be somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE. The closer to your BMR it is (or the higher your exercise burns are), the more important it is to eat back your cals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes. BMR is the calories your body needs to sustain itself at it's most basic level (breathing, blood flowing, etc). Ideally you want your daily calorie goal to be somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE. The closer to your BMR it is (or the higher your exercise burns are), the more important it is to eat back your cals.
    If you tell fat2fit how much you're working out, it tells you the calories to eat (in addition to BMR).
  • jacksonpt
    Options

It depends on HOW you use it. Tell fat2fit how much you work out (your lifestyle), then plug the suggested number into MFP and then THAT'S IT. You don't need to track exercise or "eat back". If you tell fat2fit "sedentary" and then consistently exercise, then you'll need to consider your exercise calories in MFP.

The link given doesn't factor in lifestyle... it's a BMR calculator, not TDEE.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Oh, right. this one gives you choices AFTER you click. (which I like better).
    Same outcome. How you use MFP will depend on which "activity level" you choose versus reality, and how much "control" you want.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!
  • MsMarie213
    MsMarie213 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. For The Info
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Oh, right. this one gives you choices AFTER you click. (which I like better).
    Same outcome. How you use MFP will depend on which "activity level" you choose versus reality, and how much "control" you want.

Correct, and I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from... because the site is not clear about whether or not the activity level does/should include exercise. Some assume it does (and thus don't log workouts or eat back cals), some assume it doesn't (and do log/eat back)... then we end up fighting over what is essentially semantics in all the exercise cal posts.

Of course then there are the "I only eat when I'm hungry" people *face palm*
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. For The Info
    Hope it helps. I made it a little convoluted. But use that, it will TELL you your BMR, and then suggest daily calorie intake based on your activity level. If you do it that way, in theory, you're done (which is basically what MFP does as well). The thing is: everyone sees that number as a MAX and tries to get as far away from it as possible, rather than making it a GOAL. Does that make sense?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This link gives BMR and in addition, a chart with your TDEE for your goal weight.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Run it again here:

and read what it says.
    It really helps it make sense.

Thanks, I was always confused by this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Correct, and I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from... because the site is not clear about whether or not the activity level does/should include exercise. Some assume it does (and thus don't log workouts or eat back cals), some assume it doesn't (and do log/eat back)... then we end up fighting over what is essentially semantics in all the exercise cal posts.

14wgdjc.jpg
    This is mine from that site. I find it quite clear. I go with "moderate".
  • FitnessDivaK
    FitnessDivaK Posts: 229
    Options
    This thread is very helpful...but I must admit I'm a little scared. MFP has me set at 1200 cals to lose 1 lb per wk...Sedentary. When I plugged the same info into the suggested site, it siad that my BMR is 1430 and my daily calories should be 1673...Sedentary. This seems high to me...idk if it's because I've been programmed to think that 1200 is optimal for my weight loss or what. I fear that if I deviate from the MFP formula I will gain...At the same time, I've been yo-yo-ing over the past few weeks and I wonder if this is why...

If I'm reading this thread correctly, I should eat 1430 (BMR) calories per day, and if I work out I should eat back the cals I burn?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

14wgdjc.jpg
    This is mine from that site. I find it quite clear.

Right, but MFP's is not that clear.
  • Jenn_10
    Jenn_10 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump for later !
  • LaneAndKent
    LaneAndKent Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    deleted