BMR..TDEE..HELP?

Until now I had no idea what either of these meant. Since I started MFP I've been limited to 1200 calories intake (give or take my exercise calories) I stumbled upon a BMR and TDEE calculator that says just to sustain I should be eating around 1500, which has me confused. I've been losing weight but am I not eating as much as I should? Can I personalize these limits on MFP?

I'm 18, 5'0'', 121 lbs
HELP!

Replies

• sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    If you're losing and are satisfied with the results, why change now?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    we need to know more. Goals for one, exercise for two and third I am guessing you are a student?

Either way, 1200 calories isn't enough for you based on the basic math @ a sedentary level. If you eat too little, you can increase the chances of losing muscle. Muscle is your bodies controller for your metabolism, insulin control and immune system. So the question is, do you want to lose weight or fat?
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 161 Member
    I want to make sure I'm losing in the right way! I really have no major goals considering I'm decently satisfied at my weight(but losing is ALWAYS a plus) I'm currently a student and work a very sedentary desk job. I use an elliptical for 30 mins (300 cal) three times a week and just started doing 30 days shred (count as circuit training, 182 cals) daily. Overall my plan is to lose fat, tone up more so I'm worried MFP may not be helping at the moment.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Eating at too much of a deficit will cause you to lose some muscle, but you can always change things up and try to build if you need to - or just want to.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 161 Member
    That's what I'm thinking of doing but I don't want to start overly eating and just put on back what I lost. Is there a way I can adjust MFP? I don't want to overdo it. I need limits!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Well tdee includes exercise and with your exercise, your tdee is almost 1900 calories. I would suggest eating around 1600 to help cut fat and maintain muscle. The biggest thing is cutting oit some of the cardio and do strength training. That is where you would see the greatest gain in fat loss. Its rather difficult to cut fat with cardio. This is how you tone. Now if you were looking to gain muscle i would recommend start by eating 1800 calories and the add 200 calories until you get to 2200 calories but you also need a weight training program that would back that up.

Btw look at around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

Ps- just do a custom setup. And you do not eat back exercise calories with my method.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    I want to make sure I'm losing in the right way! I really have no major goals

Step 1 for losing the right way - Develop some goals for yourself; short term, long term, and everything in-between. Otherwise your attempt to do whatever it is you're trying to do will be akin to driving a car to nowhere in particular without steering. Don't be disappointed if you don't get anywhere using that sort of "plan".