C25K Questions

Options
First I want to say that I love, love, love this program. It's taken me, huge couch potato from no exercise to running (jogging). My first question is, how do you know you're ready to move on to the next week? I completed W2D3 last night, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to move on to W3. By the time I get to the 6th 90 sec. jog, my legs feel like jello, but I keep pushing because I want this so badly! Should I repeat W2 again?

My second question is what do you do on the days off from running? I really would love to run every day, but I'm trying to follow the program by the letter.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I run one day, walk the next, then take a rest day. Then repeat. I don't always get 3 runs in each week because of that schedule, but it works great for me. If you do strength training or lifting, do that instead of my walking days.

As for when to move on, if you want to repeat a week, do it. If you find it's too easy, move on. If you struggle, don't feel bad about repeating. What I've found is that when I move up a week, I slow my speed a bit and then I'm able to do it. Then I keep doing that week until I can bring my speed back up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just completed the c25k last night (yay!). If you don't feel you are ready, then repeat it. Maybe try some strength training for your legs on the days off. Don't go too intense or you'll likely be too sore to run, but some squats and/or lunges should help strength your legs.

My biggest problem was my lungs. In addition to squats and lunges, I did some jumping jacks and jump roping on my days off running and I think that really helped my stamina.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Mine is on an app and it tells me what days to do it. I think it's like every two days. I sometimes do it more often though if I want to. I just started lifting to get something in between and because everyone says that lifting helps you so much.
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Devona14: I ALWAYS just try to push myself. After a week is completed, I start the next week. If I find that it's a little too difficult, I will bring myself back to the previous week and repeat it. After all, you can't know if you're ready for the next challenge until you try it!
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hiya i just completed W2D3 as well this morning and i was considering MAYBE doing a 4th day to guage if i was ready to move on or not, do you fancy doing that?

on my off days, i go toning work, tum & bum..........will so legs when i'm not so sore :)

good luck and well done
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE C25K!! I just completed week 9 day 2. I am one day from completing the program and I was a total non runner. However, I did it in 13 weeks due to a couple of injuries (not running related). No reason to rush it. Take your time. Definitely don't run more than three times each week. Give your body (muscles, tendons, bones) gradual time to strengthen. I had mixed feelings about moving up each week. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to complete the new challenge...but I really wanted to know if I could. Again, no need to rush. If I have learned anything in my fitness adventure it's that starting small is totally OK. :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just started this week with C25K, not because I'm a couch potato, but to allow me to enjoy running. My training sched goes like this:

Sun C25K
    Mon Muay Thai
    Tues C25K
    Wed Wrestling/BJJ
    Thur C25K
    Fri Sparring
    Sat Rest

I don't plan on repeating any of the weeks. This first week has been very easy, but that's because I'm fairly active to begin with.
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, great going! If you're not sure you are ready to move up to the next level, I would repeat wk2 and see how you feel. Remember, it's not a race (yet!) and it does not matter how long it takes you to get to the end (remember the rabbit and the hare?)
    I've just done wk2 D2 and feel ok, but at any point I don't feel I am ready to move to the next week, then I'll just repeat a week.
    Best of luck!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will complete the program tonight. I do it on Mon, Wed, and Fri. I never repeated days or weeks, but everyone is different. I would suggest attempting the new week and if you really struggle, then go back. I found it to be mind over matter. My head told me that I couldn't do it, but when it was time to go, I just did it. I love the way I feel afterwards. Never thought that I would ever be a runner. Good luck to you.
  • Skyla08
    Skyla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a question about C25K as well?? I just started my healthy lifestyle and have a lot of weight to lose. For exercise I either walk outside, Treadmil or elliptical at the gym. How do you know if you are ready to start this program? The thought of running (jogging) scares the crap out of me??? Should I wait and lose some weight before trying this out?
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Im in the process of repeating week 6 for the 2nd time....quite frankly Im terrified of week 7 and want to be able to finish week 6 comfortably before moving on. My advice would be repeat the week as much as you need until you can do it comfortably .....good luck! :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a question about C25K as well?? I just started my healthy lifestyle and have a lot of weight to lose. For exercise I either walk outside, Treadmil or elliptical at the gym. How do you know if you are ready to start this program? The thought of running (jogging) scares the crap out of me??? Should I wait and lose some weight before trying this out?

You don't have to. The plan literally is meant to take someone from no exercise at all to running 5k. You may need to repeat some of the weeks, so it may take you longer, but you can do it.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @Skyla08-you will never know until you try. I was over 250 pounds when I started the program. I weighed in at 239 this morning and will complete the program tonight. I was scared at first also, but really surprised myself. We are truly capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. Mind over matter. Good luck if you decide to give it a go.
  • Skyla08
    Skyla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice!! I will have to give it a try...I might just surprise myself!
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yeah you'll be shocked at just how ready you are for each run. When the runs get longer they seem insane, even impossible, yet you'll (normally) be able to knock them out. When I first saw w5d3 I was like "No f'n way!", but was able to get it done without much trouble. Great job so far!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I loved the program and never ran a stitch in my life.

I had doubts about starting a new week sometimes but did anyway and it worked out.

I have heard success stories where folks repeated days so there truly is no harm in doing that. Do what makes you feel good and comfortable.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    This is why I love MFP! Thank you all for the encouragement! I may add a W2D4 and see how it goes before moving on to W3.

I am so excited about this program. I just want to jog all the time!
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Devona14: I ALWAYS just try to push myself. After a week is completed, I start the next week. If I find that it's a little too difficult, I will bring myself back to the previous week and repeat it. After all, you can't know if you're ready for the next challenge until you try it!

^^^ This!

Try the next week and see how it is. If you keep doing what you know you can do instead of striving for your next goal, how will you see any progress?

I finished C25K a few weeks ago and I really surprised myself in the process as far as what I could do even though I didn't think I could. It's really a great feeling! I had to repeat some days and run slower than maybe I would've liked, but I did it. Remember your first goal should be endurance, not speed - you can work on speed later. As the intervals get longer don't be afraid to slow the pace until you're comfortable with the interval length. Good luck!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm in week 5 (just did day 2) and what I've been doing if I feel the next run seems like a big jump, is repeat, but on last interval just go 30 seconds or a minute or even two minutes longer than the schedule says, if I can. This seems to give me the confidence to jump up to the next week. That said though, the schedule seems amazing because even though it sometimes feels like "oh in two days I could never had improved enough to go longer", if I go ahead and try I usually am able to do it without feeling like I'm dying. Truly amazing how the body adapts! I'm about 100 lbs overweight, haven't run since I was a child and really didn't believe when I started this that in such a short time I would be able go 8 minutes without stopping. Every time I do it I really still can't believe it LOL. It's a great feeling.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think if you follow the program as intended... Each week do the three workout days with rest days in between... You will naturally graduate to the next level. Even if it feels difficult, if you've completed week 2 (for instance), try week 3 and go into it with an attitude of "I can do this".

A big part of the C25K program is surprising yourself by achieving something that you didn't think was possible :)