Hoping for a miracle

Options
Hi, I am new to this site and am hoping to turn my life around. I have gained 40 lbs in the past couple of years and feel lousy. I have two very active teen age girls and am very involved in their school. I was to lose weight and get in shape so I can keep up with them. I also want the time and ability to enjoy my hobbies and get control of the chaos of my life.

I hope with daily contact and having to track my food diary that I might actually get there. Right now I am just discouraged and frustrated.

I also checked my fasting blood sugar today for the fun of it and it was 122. I usually run in the 80-90 range so this was a GIANT red flag to get in gear and do something good for my body. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes yet, but I am definately predisposed to getting278100.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place! If you are honest with your food diary it will help to educate you on what and how you are eating. When I started here I had no idea what I was really eating in a day. The food diary alone was a great education. There are plenty of very supportive and knowledgeable people here who will be happy to help you along and offer support.

So welcome!
  • brwnsgr
    Options
    Welcome!

I just joined 9/21 and I think you find that everyone is very supportive. Good luck with your weight lost!
    :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • amouse61
    Options
    Thank you for your support. I am looking forward to a new day and new life. I am sure being honest with my food diary is going to be an eye opening experience!:happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no miracles here. Just education, self control, and work.

However, if you're honest with yourself, and spend each day getting a little bit better weather that's cutting back on a high calorie food, or walking when you normally sit on the couch eventually you'll get there.
  • goodinmeek
    Options
    :smokin: Welcome and good luck! I have found that a low-cal, low-fat, high-protein smoothie in the mornings really has made an incredible difference in my ability to stay within my calorie range. 170 calories and I'm not hungry for at least 3 hours. Sometimes I do them two a day if I am REALLY trying to blast off a few pounds. I went to a family reunion last week and using my smoothies twice a day allowed me to be able to "eat and drink" once a day without gaining weight. That was great since those occasions would usually put at least 5lbs on me. :wink:

Ask for help when you need it and record everything...you will be surprised how quickly the weight starts coming off. :wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome to MFP. :smile: This is the place you need to be to turn your life around.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi! Welcome and you did the first step by admitting that you need to lose weight.

I myself gained 45 pounds when the doctor gave me allergy shots (steriod). He didn't tell me I would gain weight and my periods would be zig zag. I have lost 16 pounds and would like to be at a healthy 166 pounds (I currently weigh 172.8 pounds) and have 7 more pounds to go yipppie!!!

Make sure to drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes; then you'll work out for an hour and "maybe" sneak in another day of workout by working on "weights". Take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go t sleep, use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti). Be wise and use coupons found in your local newspaper Eat fruits and veggies, chicken/fish, don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, pizza, etc); you can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, etc). Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". We women have PMS, mood swings, bloating, water gain (we retain water) two week before we mensturate; thus the reason why I ask you to weigh yourself monthly. I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her heart) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly.

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right, you'll lose WATER GAIN first of 5-6 pounds (I swear again!). Because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!"

If you want more "tips" let me know, you know how to reach me. Blessings!

Eva
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: