What? I gained 10 pounds in one day?

Options
I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I'm just in SHOCK. In a way I feel like hearing the reasoning and potential solutions will calm me. So I really appreciate your response.

I ate a lot yesterday but there is no way it was more than 4000 calories over 24 hours. I know 3500 equals 1 pound. I got super thirsty because I was practicing bikram yoga. So I had more water than usual. But still - this morning I woke up, and I weigh TEN POUNDS more than yesterday. I am swollen all over and I look like a wreck.

What should I do to help my body go back to normal?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories a day your body is probably so happy to get some food it doesn't know what to do with it
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    water weight or near your cycle.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of days and drink some water. There is no way you gained 10 lbs.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories a day your body is probably so happy to get some food it doesn't know what to do with it

:laugh:
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    1200 is what MFP tells me to eat and I always NET 1200 so I probably eat 1400 to 1600 per day because I burn a lot through exercise. Just letting you know because I'm not one of those people that under eat. I know 4000 is a lot compared to my diet calories but still its not so drastic.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Nevermind....read OP wrong...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    calm down. eat normal. stop this nonsense about 1200 calories and fasting.
  • Alexbnet
    Alexbnet Posts: 6
    Options
    Probably give it a few days and it will go away. 1 litre of water is 2.2lbs so drinking lots plus the weight of the food in your stomach are probably the main contributers. In reality you probably gained a maximum of 2lbs.
    Give it time (a day or two) and I am relatively sure you will be back on track.
    Try not to let this panic you and continue your routine as normal.
    Good luck!
  • manthajill
    manthajill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it was a shock to see 10 pounds in a day, but try not to panic!! You're right that a pound is 3500 calories, so probably less than a pound is actual fat gain. The rest will be water, or possibly still food left in your stomach if it's taking extra time to digest the extra (not sure about that?). Just go back to your normal diet, and the unexplained 9 pounds should drop off as dramatically as it came on given a few days for your system to sort itself out. Please don't fast, as you need to keep fueling your body for your metabolism to work. Well done on being so close to your goal, and don't let this slip up throw you off. Just keep plodding away, and you'll get there soon!!
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your scale isn't broken? That is nuts.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If that's you in the profile pic, please stop it.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    H20! haha. i was curious and weighed a ltr and was shocked about the lbs. haha
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    The picture is from a year ago :) My goal weight is approximately 5 pounds heavier than me in the picture!

Ahhhh - drinking water, eating normally today, it is still here. Any idea how long it takes to go away? haha hopefully like... TODAY... wishful thinking.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    That's what happens to me when I eat a lot of pizza.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Well, it just isn't possible to gain 10 pounds over night so either your scale needs to be replaced or you need to spend some quality time in the bathroom.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    my scale jumps up 5-10 pounds as soon as pms kicks in. lucky me! It has to be water weight, that or a broken scale, just drink plenty of water and it will go away in a few days. At least it always does when it happens to me.
  • camillewhite1
    Options
    I have this same problem, I gain 5 to 10 lbs per day if I consume too much sodium. I am extremly sensitive to sodium. After consuming it, I feel horrible, and water doesn't help. So this is what I have to do in the event that I have (severe retention) (and I've tried everything). Drink 2 cups of coffee in the am, reduce sodium throughout the day (under 2400mg), and before bed take my water pill or dieuretic. Yes, you will wake up early in the am to use the restroom, but this seems to be the only effective way to quickly relieve the water retention.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'll put on 8-10 pounds due to my monthly cycle and/or intake of lots of salt the day before. It goes away after a few days.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It's all the sodium you ingested. If you drink lots of water and pay attention to sodium for the next couple days, I guarantee you'll be almost back to the weight you were before in a couple days.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    OP has cancelled her account. No sense responding any further. Strange...