Be glad you aren't living in the animal kingdom

Options
RainRedfield
RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
With Mother's Day coming up, it's time to reflect on our wonderful memories of mom and all of the loving and caring things she did for us.

It's also a good time to be thankful that you're not living in the animal kingdom with one of these 10 bad mothers ...

10. Lioness: When a new male takes over a pride, the mother gives her cubs that are under two years of age to him ... and he kills them.

9. House Sparrow: This bird will seek out the nest of another female that her partner had previously mated with ... and then kill that female's young to remove the competition.

8. Darwin's Frog. The mother lays her eggs and then abandons them, leaving the father responsible for hatching and raising them.

7. Giant Pandas: Moms give birth to litters of one to three babies. If more than one is born, the mom chooses only one to raise.

6. Cuckoo: The bird lays an egg and then delivers it to another cuckoo's nest for it to raise.

5. Dracula Ants: These ants suck the blood from their larvae.

4. Galapagos Shark: These moms often mistake their young for food and eat them.

3. Black Bears: These moms hope to have a litter, so if mom gives birth to only one cub, she abandons it and tries again for more.

2. African Black Eagle: This mom lays two eggs, with the second one being an insurance policy in case the first one doesn't hatch. But if both hatch, she lets the older one eat the younger one.

1. Langur Monkeys: These moms have been known to abandon or even kill their young if they get injured or sick.

Replies

• futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest.
    My mother sounds like a blend of Languar Monkey, Galapagos Shark, and a Darwin's Frog.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ouch. My mom is thankfully wonderful
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah but they get to live in the great outdoors and don't worry about house payments, cheating spouses and how or when they will die.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My mother was very VERY strict but we knew that it was because she loved us and wanted us to grow into decent human beings that she was so strict. She was old school about things and till we grew up we didn't realized her methods and by then it was too late for me. That's why I try to tell those younger than me who have troubles with their mothers that their mother is trying to make them better and she most likely just don't know of a better way to do it...
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Too funny, thanks for the laugh :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I sent my mommy a card...now I'm thinking I should send her some diamonds.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    LOL nice reminder :)

Even though there have been times in my life when I rather have had my mom eat me over having to listen to her... she's still a very awesome mom :heart:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Lol my ''mother'' is definitely the cuckoo!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    My mother must have been a lioness since her new man was more important then us.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Lol my ''mother'' is definitely the cuckoo!

:laugh: Same here!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LOL. Dannnng. That made me think! lol! :bigsmile:
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    10. Lioness: When a new male takes over a pride, the mother gives her cubs that are under two years of age to him ... and he kills them.
    I'm pretty sure the lioness doesn't have a choice in the matter. The male lion simply does this because if his pride is going to be using resources (energy, nutrition) on raising young, he wants them to be HIS young.
    8. Darwin's Frog. The mother lays her eggs and then abandons them, leaving the father responsible for hatching and raising them.
    This is similar to the seahorse. The mother lays the eggs, but they are kept in the father's pouch. The father carries the babies for two to six weeks and then gives live birth to the babies.
    6. Cuckoo: The bird lays an egg and then delivers it to another cuckoo's nest for it to raise.
    This one is actually really interesting.
    Cuckoo birds are "brood parasites," meaning that they will lay their eggs in the nests of other birds. Many cuckoo birds ONLY reproduce this way.
    The females of some cuckoo species have evolved secretive and fast laying behaviors.
    In some cases, male cuckoos have lured the host adults away from their nests so that the female can lay her egg in the nest.
    Some cuckoo host species may try to directly prevent cuckoos from laying eggs in their nests in the first place and will mob the cuckoos to drive them out of the area.
    Some cuckoos have been shown to exhibit "Mafia-like" enforcement, in which adult cuckoos will completely destroy the host's clutch if they reject the cuckoo egg. <-- All from wikipedia because wikipedia is awesome. :D
    Not only the mothers, but the entire species. The Galapagos shark eats primarily boney fish, and a adolescent of it's own species is basically a boney fish, so they are prey too.
    3. Black Bears: These moms hope to have a litter, so if mom gives birth to only one cub, she abandons it and tries again for more.
    I am not sure about the validity of this one. Can someone direct me to a source? I am interested. As far as I know, mother bears are very protective of their young, and will only abandon or kill her young if (1) there is not going to be enough food for both herself and her baby in the coming months for the baby to grow up into a healthy adult, or (2) the baby is malformed or weak or something of that sort. I haven't heard or read anything of this sort before.
    1. Langur Monkeys: These moms have been known to abandon or even kill their young if they get injured or sick.
    This is why monkeys freak me out. o_o
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I just realized that I am a huge nerd.

I'm sorry.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the lioness doesn't have a choice in the matter. The male lion simply does this because if his pride is going to be using resources (energy, nutrition) on raising young, he wants them to be HIS young.
    This is similar to the seahorse. The mother lays the eggs, but they are kept in the father's pouch. The father carries the babies for two to six weeks and then gives live birth to the babies.
    This one is actually really interesting.
    Cuckoo birds are "brood parasites," meaning that they will lay their eggs in the nests of other birds. Many cuckoo birds ONLY reproduce this way.
    The females of some cuckoo species have evolved secretive and fast laying behaviors.
    In some cases, male cuckoos have lured the host adults away from their nests so that the female can lay her egg in the nest.
    Some cuckoo host species may try to directly prevent cuckoos from laying eggs in their nests in the first place and will mob the cuckoos to drive them out of the area.
    Some cuckoos have been shown to exhibit "Mafia-like" enforcement, in which adult cuckoos will completely destroy the host's clutch if they reject the cuckoo egg. <-- All from wikipedia because wikipedia is awesome. :D
    Not only the mothers, but the entire species. The Galapagos shark eats primarily boney fish, and a adolescent of it's own species is basically a boney fish, so they are prey too.
    I am not sure about the validity of this one. Can someone direct me to a source? I am interested. As far as I know, mother bears are very protective of their young, and will only abandon or kill her young if (1) there is not going to be enough food for both herself and her baby in the coming months for the baby to grow up into a healthy adult, or (2) the baby is malformed or weak or something of that sort. I haven't heard or read anything of this sort before.
    This is why monkeys freak me out. o_o

Love it.