Egg whites- why are they recommended?

Options

Replies

• BurkeshireFarms
    BurkeshireFarms Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, if you're healthy (and this fluctuates a bit based on age, weight etc.) that you shouldn't take in more than 300mg of cholesterol a day.

If you are diabetic, have cardiovascular disease, or a bad cholesterol level (LDLs) your daily intake should hover around 200mg (again this can fluctuate).

One large egg has around 180-190mg of cholesterol.

So, in my opinion, for what it's worth, it's once again all about moderation.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of the yolk and I don't like scrambled eggs - so it is fried egg whites for me. I do save the yolks for when I make flan. YUM. Talk about high fat and protein.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been checking out diets and they all recommend egg whites, when you use 4 egg whites to do an omelette it's got the same calories than 1 egg, so i don't see much point.. does anyone know?

SO Egg yolks carry all the eggs fat, cholesterol and any other nutrition the egg may carry. From what I have read chickens that are free range and feed only natural foods their egg yolks can carry omega fats (good fats) and some other vitamins, But chickens that are caged up and feed hormonally alter fed have only the eggs they produce have no nutritional value in the yolk. So if you do not have cholesterol problems and buy free range cage free eggs then eat the whole egg, but if you just buy the store eggs then I would de-yolk the eggs just to get any crap that may have transferred from the chickens diet out.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have been checking out diets and they all recommend egg whites, when you use 4 egg whites to do an omelette it's got the same calories than 1 egg, so i don't see much point.. does anyone know?

SO Egg yolks carry all the eggs fat, cholesterol and any other nutrition the egg may carry. From what I have read chickens that are free range and feed only natural foods their egg yolks can carry omega fats (good fats) and some other vitamins, But chickens that are caged up and feed hormonally alter fed have only the eggs they produce have no nutritional value in the yolk. So if you do not have cholesterol problems and buy free range cage free eggs then eat the whole egg, but if you just buy the store eggs then I would de-yolk the eggs just to get any crap that may have transferred from the chickens diet out.
    But by your own statement, you'd be throwing away the nutrition. Why would you do that?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    ...because I want the protein without the fat. I usually have 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Eh. Most of the time I just do a whole egg. I don't see a reason not to-it's not like I have more than one at once, unless I'm cooking them for breakfast...and the ones I eat are only 70 cals each, so why not?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eggs will NOT raise your cholesterol levels. That myth has been debunked by medical science several years ago now.

The yolk contains just about everything that makes eggs one of the healthiest foods around. So why would I throw it out? I happily eat two whole eggs a day. That's a shocking 140 kcal altogether, by the way. :laugh:
  • Livingbalanced
    Livingbalanced Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I bought a carton of egg whites for the first time last week. I pour some into my frying pan and make a very plain "omelet" and then put that on my sandwich with avocado and a little bit of cheese - I want to cut back somewhere with the fat so egg whites made most sense to me :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ...because I want the protein without the fat. I usually have 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg.

fat is a good thing.
  • libradragon64
    Options
    It depends on the type of diet you are doing. On a low carb diet you eat the whole egg, on a low fat you eat only the white. There are a lot of food myths about fat that are exploded in the best books about eating low carb. I recommend "Livibg Low Carb" by Jonny Bowden. Fat isn't the prblem in our diet - sugar is the real killer. I'd advise anyone to read the research low carb eating as it's far healthier.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not trying to start any arguments here but I had high cholestrial. Certain things I cut out of my diet but others I ate more of. I ate more eggs. Yes they have cholestrial but not bad cholestrial. Its the same as saying fat makes you fat (which it doesn't).

After the second set of results, with an increased egg intake, I was significantly lower on the cholestrial read out. Enough for it to no longer be a concern.

Eggs are great, how you cook them might not be.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

fat is a good thing.

Oh brother.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I usually only eat egg white omelettes due to the cholesterol, but I can't stand the flavorless scrambled egg white, so I will mix or use real egg to make scrambled eggs.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites most mornings. Sometimes I add a whole egg. In general, I use egg whites as a very low calorie boost of protein. Egg whites don't have much flavor, so I can add veggies and other things to them. Egg yolks are good in moderation, but I get sick of them. Also, I like to cook with oil, and I get plenty of fat from other sources. If I need the extra fat or want to make over easy eggs with runny yolks, I'll eat the yolk. If not, I won't.
  • ilitos
    ilitos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    More than half of a full egg's 6 g of protein comes from the white. A single egg white offers 4 g of protein without the yolk's fat and cholesterol.

An egg white has absolutely no fat, compared to the yolk's 5 g of fat, 2 g of which are saturated fat.

You can mix one whole egg with egg whites to make an omelette.

But all the nutrition in the egg, comes from the Yolk... and it is a healthy fat, isn't it?
  • ilitos
    Options
    Isn't your cholesterol level mostly produced by your own body, rather than consuming cholesterol itself?
    At least that's what i've read of late.

I use all the egg - I'm loathe to waste food for one thing in a world where millions are going hungry.
    Agree 100% - but this time arround I bought a bag of egg whites in the shops, I think the people that make custard (out of Yolk) pack the rest to sell it
  • ilitos
    Options
    It depends on the type of diet you are doing. On a low carb diet you eat the whole egg, on a low fat you eat only the white. There are a lot of food myths about fat that are exploded in the best books about eating low carb. I recommend "Livibg Low Carb" by Jonny Bowden. Fat isn't the prblem in our diet - sugar is the real killer. I'd advise anyone to read the research low carb eating as it's far healthier.
    thanks, will look into it
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    For me, I can eat more volume with fewer calories. If you add up the 1 egg and 4 egg whites for an omelet and compare it to 5 whole eggs.. there is a BIG difference in calories. I'd rather be full and have the bonus of saving cals for other meals.

^This
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    One of the staples in my diet is 2 egg whites with a teensy bit of salt and pepper. one whole egg has a little protein and some fat. Two egg whites has NO fat and LOTS of protein! Protein is the key to my weight loss!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    For me, I can eat more volume with fewer calories. If you add up the 1 egg and 4 egg whites for an omelet and compare it to 5 whole eggs.. there is a BIG difference in calories. I'd rather be full and have the bonus of saving cals for other meals.

^This

to each their own I guess...I would much rather have quality calories rather than volume calories