zumba help

Options
so im doing zumba and i just love it but sometimes i feel like im crap and not doing the moves correctly..my questions is does this matter?? as long as im moving and giving it my all i feel like its okay but am i right?

Replies

• aubsandkenny
    Options
    My first zumba class I was all over the place and laughed at myself the entire time. I just faked it until I made it. You will eventually learn the moves, until then just keep moving. Just remember to keep your tummy tight and if you're doing leg songs ensure that you are in a proper squat position. Just have fun! :D
  • weezykid
    weezykid Posts: 50
    Options
    I assist at my friends Zumba class and i always say to those who are worried about getting all the moves right:

You could spend the entire session standing in the room just waving your arms you will be a) burning more calories than you would just sitting on the sofa and b) you are enjoying yourself doing so

Im sure you are doing fine and burning plenty perhaps bring a heart rate monitor next time you go and you will see how many calories you are burning doing it
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am ridiculously uncoordinated. I am also 100% right sided, so the mirrored moves are near impossible. Then there are the girls in class that make every move just look super sexy. I am not one of them. Plus we have a full wall mirror that I refuse to look at. With all that being said, I work my *kitten* off in class and love every second of it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Join the club of What Did They Just Do? Ha. I love Zumba. Every little misstep and every little giggle of it.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ive been dying to try Zumba but havent done it because I am beyond hopelessy uncoordinated. I trip over flat surfaces! lol Maybe I can find one of those classes for the older ladies and slip into that back of that one!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You are moving and that is what counts. I am super un coordinated. i just do my best and go from there.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    The zumba instructor at my gym just tells us to do the best we can, modify moves if needed, and if anything to just keep moving, so I'm sure it's fine if you're still getting a workout! Just make sure it's not mistakes that increase your possibility of injury :)
    It took me a few times before I could properly do the moves in my class, but it was okay because I still go a workout!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have done Zumba about 5 to 6 times now and I love it. I don't get all the steps and get confused too. I am trying to stick to only a couple instructors to raise my chances of seeing repeat moves. I think as long as your moving its all good and hopefully with more practice we will get better. I was real sore after the first day but it doesn't hurt anymore and I kind of wished it did so I know I am still working hard.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get the moves down, so just have fun! Mirrors are helpful to see if you're doing anything remotely close to what the instructor is doing.
    That said, I've been doing zumba for 3 years, and I've noticed that every instructor has his/her own style, so what's "right" in one class is not "right" in another...but that's a good thing! Do what feels best for you.
    Do try to have proper form for squats and lunges, though.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Mmmporkrinds Posts: 192
    Options
    Yep I'm hopeless but I don't really care: it's fun just throwing my body around the place, and so long as I'm not crashing into anyone it's not doing anyone any harm! I doubt I'll ever really 'get' the moves.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i have been doing a class for months and LOVE it..
    Tore my knee (doing other stuff) and I believe the muscle tone I had built up in my legs allowed me to get back to regular life much quicker. Within 2-1/2 weeks was back to class.
    I am in no way a skinny fit woman. I have a long way to go but I LOVE to dance and zumba is dancing to me so its fun exercize.
    We all goof up or dont get a move for a while when a new song is added but its ok like an earlier poster said you are moving.
    Our teacher says the more you shake it the less you have.. And the group that are in my class are great and so much fun!! Keep going.. it works wonders!!
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! It helps knowing im not the only one...and i just love it and i know i get a great workout in about 20mins i burn close on 200 calories!!
  • GoddessJuliya
    GoddessJuliya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I assist at my friends Zumba class and i always say to those who are worried about getting all the moves right:

You could spend the entire session standing in the room just waving your arms you will be a) burning more calories than you would just sitting on the sofa and b) you are enjoying yourself doing so

Im sure you are doing fine and burning plenty perhaps bring a heart rate monitor next time you go and you will see how many calories you are burning doing it

~I agree 100% with you. I also assist @ my friend's Zumba class @ my local YMCA. It's a Zumba Gold class which is the lower impact version of Basic Zumba geared towards the older active adult and the true beginner. My friend actually puts on a mic& talks the class thru the steps, where there's no cueing in the Basic class. You should see if you can find a Gold class in your area, it would definitely help you learn the steps better. Otherwise, just do enjoy the music &do what you can, As long as you-re moving & having fun, that's all that matters. I've been taking Zumba since April of '09 on and off& LOVE it so much that I plan on becoming a certified instructor when I reach a goal of 50 lbs lost. :-)