Gained a stone in 2 weeks...WHAT?!

Options
Wow it seems like low carb is certainly a fad!! I have gained a stone back (the 9 pounds i lost and a bit extra) I restricted myself so much, i caved and binged (almost for 2 weeks) and now im in this situation!! Its not all bad as I have more muscle now. BUT i'm in a major rut and don't know what to do. I feel the need to go back low carb to drop the weight, however this will most likely lead to the same thing. But I feel so big atm (Im not as I'm still a healthy weight with this stone but i feel better without it)
I have 6 weeks until my holiday and really want to shape up.
AH, rant over sorry. Just wish I never fell for it!!
Where do I go from here...... *sigh**

Stats WAS 5'8 and 22%bodyfat now im 24% :(

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    how low carb did you go that you felt the need to binge for two weeks? If it doesn't work for you, eat healthy, real foods. Eat natural starches and carbs, such as sweet and white potatoes, rice, and squash.
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    some days only like 10 grams.
    Bad as I use to eat healthy carbs (fruit, oats wholegrains) and since this its left me unsure as to what a healthy diet is and I crave junk :(
  • tsunami288
    tsunami288 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! Snap! Was on a reduced carbs diet for six weeks (still had healthy carbs though - fruit and wholegrains) and was feeling so good - lost about 14lb. Then crashed right off it 3 weeks ago and am back where I started plus a bit more. Have decided to go back to low carbs, but not be as strict as I end up going crazy when I cave. A piece of chocolate won't kill me, it's the seven bars I'd eat when I binge that will! Ha! Am four days back on track and am feeling a bit better already! I think exercise is helping! Have never really posted much before so hello!

I think you just have to decided enough is enough and then you'll be fine - you've done it before so you know you can do it again!
    Good luck!
  • Shollin243
    Shollin243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I first read this thread I seriously thought you were talking about getting a kidney stone. It took me awhile to figure out you were talking about a unit of measurement. I know this post has really no relevance.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Yeah I feel the same as i'm naturally quite thin anyway so I can get away with eating a bit more than most, however when I restrict it backfires as I end up eating 10 instead of the 1. I have just lost all sense of a healthy approach I feel atm.
    I even cut out fruit and wholegrains (basically ate eggs, lean meat, fish, green veg and some good fats) maybe thats ok for some but clearly doesn't work for me.
    I feel if i go back low carb it'll happen again but i feel i need to, to get rid of the extra.
    ahhh hate all this, wish i listened ages ago.
    But hi, feel free to add me if u wish :)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    some days only like 10 grams.
    Bad as I use to eat healthy carbs (fruit, oats wholegrains) and since this its left me unsure as to what a healthy diet is and I crave junk :(

ah, that is low. I eat a fairly low carb diet (under 100 grams) and those cravings haven't hit me. A healthy diet is one full of real, whole foods that need just a little processing to enjoy. Stay away from the grains, as those can just add to cravings.
  • tsunami288
    tsunami288 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ha, I know exactly how you feel - I am also still within normal weight with the extra weight, but just feel completely different when I'm heavier! I think the trouble with low carb is that it does actually work and gives good results, but it definitely causes cravings! Maybe try it again, but less restrictive? I have decided to have good carbs, but eat them before 2pm - it seems easier to stick to in the evenings when you know you can always have more tomorrow! And also some chocolate - my big downfall!

It's SO frustrating though when I remember how I looked at felt THREE WEEKS ago! We'll get there!!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Insanity = repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

Nothing about weight loss requires clean eating or low carbs. With the caveat that it's much easier to stay under calories when you eat well. Just create a deficit eating what you like and don't worry about the rest.
  • alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Insanity = repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

Nothing about weight loss requires clean eating or low carbs. With the caveat that it's much easier to stay under calories when you eat well. Just create a deficit eating what you like and don't worry about the rest.

This!
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to take them on board!
    I think you're right, doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity... I need to get all this out my head and structure something that WILL work for me.
    I think there is too much of the wrong info out there, hard to know what to belief and not get caught up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    BUT i'm in a major rut and don't know what to do.

but you know what not to do
    I feel the need to go back low carb to drop the weight, however this will most likely lead to the same thing.

then don't do it
    I have 6 weeks until my holiday and really want to shape up.

at the risk of sounding harsh why did you binge for 2 weeks? A day or two, sure, everyone does it but there's a little thing called self control. 6 weeks is enough time to safely drop a few of those pounds.
    AH, rant over sorry. Just wish I never fell for it!!

don't fall for it again. Low carb isn't for everyone, I'd probably end up in prison or a mental ward if I went as low carb as you did.

Eat a healthy balanced diet, forget fads or restrictive diets, and create a modest daily deficit. Try something that you can be happy with rather than torturing yourself.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    I think as I have battled trying to do this for quite a while now the 2 week I had completely had enough and carried on as i'd start off the day trying to get back on track (aka - eating no carbs) then by the end of the night cave in.

I have realised this is NOT the way to go so i'm going to try and regain my previous healthy habits (before the low carb) and try get back on track.
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options
    Cripes Jodie..

Brian Sharpe got it right...eat right, hit the gym, and don't drink too much ...you are young girl, that gives you the ticket to ride..
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not a fad. If you go off any healthy eating plan and binge for 2 weeks, your weight will go up significantly from water retention. I have lost most of my weight with low carb eating (generally under 60 grams a day). It really helps me with my cravings. That being said, it isn't for everyone and isn't the only way to lose weight. If you feel you would do better eating grains and sweets in moderation, try something new.
  • honeyb128
    honeyb128 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! This is my first time posting on here...

I used to follow weight watchers but after Christmas I stopped going. I suffer with bouts of bulimia nervosa when I get anxiety or stress.. Recently I have been eating a lot of rubbish and exercising minimal which has led to me gaining about 12lbs can anyone give me some advice to get back on track and lose this extra weight!? Maybe you need a weight loss buddy? :)
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not a fad. If you go off any healthy eating plan and binge for 2 weeks, your weight will go up significantly from water retention. I have lost most of my weight with low carb eating (generally under 60 grams a day). It really helps me with my cravings. That being said, it isn't for everyone and isn't the only way to lose weight. If you feel you would do better eating grains and sweets in moderation, try something new.

This is true. I'm under 15g carbs a day and my body works like a fat furnace. Point is, my muscles are constantly depleted of glycogen that binds water. When I do carb loads, I instantly gain weight. Weight, not fat! It's my muscles reloading.

Low carb works, but it's not for everybody, it requires a lot of self discipline, and because it's based on calorie dense foods, it's not for people with big appetite.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can easily lose weight without going low carb... all you need is a calorie deficit!
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    you can easily lose weight without going low carb... all you need is a calorie deficit!

This is not necessarily true for people with insulin resistance. It would be true for those with a healthy insulin response system, but not everyone has that. We have to be careful not to assume that other people will have the same results to a certain eating approach that we do, because everyone is different.

I've got issues with carbs and do NOT lose when I go over a certain percentage of my diet in net carbs. I don't have to go super low to lose, but I definitely need to control the carbs. The typical low calorie, lowfat approaches did not work for me, but a controlled carb approach did. I eat far more carbs than someone on Atkin's or a keto diet, but waaaaaay less than MFP would recommend. ( I lost 40 pounds low carbing 4 years ago, and now I want to take off around 15 more, though I am not overweight by BMI standards.)