Toning Lower Body Without Increasing Muscle Mass

Options
mfpcopine
mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
One person's suggestions:

"Squats and Deadlifts are Not the "King of Exercise" for a Lot of People."

"...
If you want to lose muscle mass in your legs, then avoid all direct leg resistance training. For some reason, this is a controversial recommendation…but it makes perfect sense to me. Avoid all direct leg resistance training until your legs are as slim as you would like. At that point, reintroduce a limited amount of direct leg resistance training…but make sure that your legs don't increase in girth again. Here's my full-blown post on losing muscle on purpose.

If You Want to Tone the Lower Body Without Adding Size?
A few options:
Perform cardio in an intense manner and see if that gets the job done.
Train legs short of failure 1-2 times per week.
Train legs once every other week (if you gain size easily in the lower body)."

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/squats-and-deadlifts-are-not-the-king-of-exercise-for-a-lot-of-people/

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Well worth reading.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose muscle mass in your legs...
    Why would anyone want to lose muscle mass anywhere?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion: I do heavy squats, deadlifts, lunges, and my legs are slimmer and more toned than they've ever been, at a heavier weight.

Slimming legs depends on a calorie deficit (which can be obtained through cardio, but then also through food only)
    Toning is achieved by gaining muscle & losing fat.

Direct leg work will not cause an increase in muscle mass in that area, unless you can a calorie surplus.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

^^^ yeah...

I lift heavy weights and my legs have gotten smaller. *shrug*
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit and not taking drugs, it's unlikely that you will increase muscle mass. If you do, it will be a trivial amount.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    If You Want to Tone the Lower Body Without Adding Size?
    Here's how I Tone:

tone-loc.jpg
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    To me this makes absolutely no sense. I am not sure why you would want do decrease your muscle mass. If you are in caloric deficit you will proportionately decreases your body mass no mater how heavy you lift without compromising body composition.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Women in some countries have their calf muscles sliced away to create thinner calfs....

But then they live with lifelong pain and struggle to walk correctly..

The things people do for beauty..
  • torisaurosrex
    Options
    To me this makes absolutely no sense. I am not sure why you would want do decrease your muscle mass. If you are in caloric deficit you will proportionately decreases your body mass no mater how heavy you lift without compromising body composition.

I agree.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    you can't tone what you don't have. Don't be afraid to pack on some muscle, I promise you won't look bulky or manly (unless you take drugs). I played ice hockey for 10 years squatting super heavy (1.2 my body weight) and my legs are (well eh..were ) very "toned" looking but still only ~20 inches around at the widest. Check out some before and after pics from ladies that lift, you will be amazed! Muscle is your friend!!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options

:drinker:

I did to become a faster competitive runner. I was fit at 140 pounds (16% BF). I am down to 120 pounds (11-12%). I am still as strong as I was at 140 pounds.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I did to become a faster competitive runner. I was fit at 140 pounds (16% BF). I am down to 120 pounds (11-12%). I am still as strong as I was at 140 pounds.
    Did you drop BF or muscle?
  • Nigerianebony
    Options

At 120, i was around 15% first, then dropped down. But I guess a little of both.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    At 120, i was around 15% first, then dropped down. But I guess a little of both.
    If you're as strong as you were before, then I doubt you lost muscle.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nigerianebony
    Options
    If you're as strong as you were before, then I doubt you lost muscle.

Then doesn't that kinda contradict the whole lifting heavy weight without getting bigger? But to clear it up, when i got to 120 I had to work myself back to the strength I had at 140.
  • whoohooinva
    whoohooinva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    FFS, seriously?

posts like this make me feel like going around and punching random people in the head
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Those that seem to look/get bigger in thighs probably add muscle but still have too much fat on thighs.