Turkey Pepperoni

Options
Tori_356
Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
I haven't tried it before and considering it for a recipe for pizza bites (like bite-size things with cheese/pepperoni stuffed in them that you dip in pizza sauce)....

how different is it than regular pepperoni? can you tell? does it taste the same or have a different consistency?

i know the calories are lower, lower fat, etc. i want to try it but don't wanna ruin the recipe. besides i am considering putting it in and seeing if my boyfriend notices at all and i dont want him to notice lol. he's the type that doesnt like to substitute anything for the "REAL STUFF"

what do you think of turkey pepperoni vs. real?

Replies

• poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use turkey pepperoni, but its not the same as the real thing. It has a firmer texture, probably due to the lower fat content. It doesn't crisp up the same when you cook it either.

Maybe just use thin slices of the real thing, and not too many of them.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I honestly can not tell the difference. I like it.
  • mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer turkey pepporoni although I don't like most other things that turkey is substituted for (bacon, sausage, ground beef, ect). To me the only difference is that it's not as greasy as regular pepperoni.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I really like turkey pepperoni! My husband ate it a couple of times and didn't know it was turkey until I told him.
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it on pizza or cooked with it, but I often eat it as a snack during the day or put it on salad and think it tastes great!
  • kdkeys14
    kdkeys14 Posts: 16
    Options
    I LOVE IT. I used it on a pizza and use as my protein for my salads. I had it for my salad today. I have never tried the real pepperonis though but I love the turkey(low sodium)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have attempted turkey substitutions and as far as successful ones:

1) Pepperoni
    2) Chili (Hormel turkey chili)
    3) My wife makes ground turkey meatballs and I can't tell that it's not beef.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Love it!
    I find the flavor to be the same but the texture slightly different. I would honestly only notice a difference if I was eating them straight out of the package at the same time. If your BF notices just tell him its a different brand. I will recommend a brand name like Armour rather than a generic.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I definitely like it. IDK that I'd want to just sit and eat it - it IS different than reg. pepperoni - but I like it on pizzas and stuff. It's less greasy, which for me is a huge plus.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I use turkey pepperoni all the time. I can't taste the difference. And no else in my family can as well, because they don't even know it's turkey pepperoni!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    yeah as far as turkey bacon goes its never the same, but i like it and eat that..
  • morningstarz99
    Options
    I guess I would not be a good person to weigh in on this topic because I dont eat pork..but I love turkey pepperoni.. In my opinion, it doesnt taste much different from when I use to eat pork 14 years ago. Good luck.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you have them in your area, HEB has a lean pepperoni that is similar in nutritional content to the Turkey Pepperonis. I feel like I've seen/bought a lean pepperoni from Wal-mart as well.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    mmm, i like it...but i don't eat pork, lol
  • sweetmspea
    sweetmspea Posts: 87
    Options
    I have often thought about using this with some pasta. For some reason it sounds real good to me.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I prefer turkey anything, so I like it. Turkey & Fish > All other meats to me.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. Has great taste and doesn't get as greasy as regular pepperoni when you heat it up on pizza.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I use it because my husband doesn't eat pork, and honestly I prefer it. I think it's tastier :)
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes better. :)
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a dissenting voice from the majority. Only because, if you try it and you like it, awesome! But if I had read this thread, and then tried it, I'd have felt betrayed. It probably does taste similar and good if you don't have recent real pepperoni exposure, or if you've been eating it so long you're used to it. Personally, and this is only for the brands I've tried, they don't taste the same (I wouldn't even go so far to say similar...turkey pepperoni is to real pepperoni as turkey bacon is to real bacon--similar if you don't have recent familiarity with the pork stuff, but otherwise, pretty darn different). Now all that is not to say that it's in a bad way. I use turkey pepperoni almost exclusively, because it is better for you. But I consider real pepperoni, like real bacon, a treat that I look forward to on special occasions. I actually find the turkey pepperoni (I think it's Hormel brand) saltier, but it is a lot less greasy. And you do get used to it fairly quickly.